Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare with Bad Reputation
Unregistered 11:45 PM 06-29-2015
Hello.

For those with experience with running a daycare or childcare facility, please read on.

I have been the subject of defamation. The daycare runs a good program that has zero problems with licensing, a perfect record (so far), and the people who are not in the loop of the gossiping are very happy with the school. The children are happy and the facility is well maintained, etc. The teachers are qualified and educated and they are likeable people.

Unfortunately this is a tight knit community and those in the loop are in the majority, so much so that since this all started a few months ago, I have not only lost all my clients, I have lost new clients who found out about these rumours afterwards. All of the new people that have signed up in the meantime are from outside this community and thus have no idea of the bad reputation the school has come under. This is unfortunate especially since despite being very happy with the facility, they will be unable to spread their goodwill in the community and counteract the bad rumours due to their homes being outside of the area.

I am unable to give details as to the nature of the rumours since I really don't know the specifics. I believe it stems from my personality, which is not the most outgoing or bubbly. In order to combat this, I have hired people who have that personality type who actively engage with the parents and be the face of the school.

Since the school year has just ended, all the bad-mouthing unhappy people have left, permanently. What I am wondering is if I am doomed or should I hold-out and rebuild.

Thanks.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello.

For those with experience with running a daycare or childcare facility, please read on.

I have been the subject of defamation. The daycare runs a good program that has zero problems with licensing, a perfect record (so far), and the people who are not in the loop of the gossiping are very happy with the school. The children are happy and the facility is well maintained, etc. The teachers are qualified and educated and they are likeable people.

Unfortunately this is a tight knit community and those in the loop are in the majority, so much so that since this all started a few months ago, I have not only lost all my clients, I have lost new clients who found out about these rumours afterwards. All of the new people that have signed up in the meantime are from outside this community and thus have no idea of the bad reputation the school has come under. This is unfortunate especially since despite being very happy with the facility, they will be unable to spread their goodwill in the community and counteract the bad rumours due to their homes being outside of the area.

I am unable to give details as to the nature of the rumours since I really don't know the specifics. I believe it stems from my personality, which is not the most outgoing or bubbly. In order to combat this, I have hired people who have that personality type who actively engage with the parents and be the face of the school.

Since the school year has just ended, all the bad-mouthing unhappy people have left, permanently. What I am wondering is if I am doomed or should I hold-out and rebuild.

Thanks.
Im sorry you are struggling but honestly without any details it's too hard to give any kind of advice.

Normally, I am in the camp of "People who talk badly about X say more about themselves than it does about X" but in your case....it really depends.

The supposed rumors could be opinions or a difference of perspectives and not necessarily untrue....kwim?

There is a big difference between false facts and unsavory opinions.

I am sorry I was not able to give you the advice you are looking for but I can say try to take Dr Seuss's words to heart "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
TXhomedaycare 06:55 AM 06-30-2015
That sounds like a terrible situation to deal with. I think in order to fix the problem and help your business survive you need to meet this challenge head on by finding out exactly what the rumors are. You can't fix a problem unless you know what you up against. It might not be the easiest thing to do but you might need to make some phone calls or stop a person or to and see what they have heard. Who cares who started the rumor just find out what it is from a few different sources (the telephone game guarantees there is more than one) and see what you are up against. If it is something that you can overcome great come up with a game plan. Good luck
Annalee 07:17 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello.

Thanks.
If people are pulling out after enrolling then I would find out what is being said. It is possible one disgruntled client said something but then it escalated into something really bad by the time it was told over and over and over. I am sure all providers, at some point, have had a disgruntled parent but usually the good will gradually prevail. Find the source, if possible, so you know what your are dealing with. Good luck!
Unregistered 09:34 AM 06-30-2015
This happened to me because this horrible client I had didn't want to pay for a week claiming they had to go back east for a funeral. Here I am waiting for her on Monday, and payment and she calls telling me they will be out.

She made a big ruckus in front of another client who happened to be involved with our HOA, and that's how I found out they had financial problems. After the payment issue, is when things got bad, and I was not allowed to give her child a nap, she claimed bruises that happened at his house, and finally they left and went to someone else who also had problems with her.

She worked at a local business in town, and was bad mouthing me because my new client worked with her, lol. My new client said she was a wackado. Sorry long story, but I cut her off at the pass. I told my new client, knowing she would tell wackado that if she didn't stop my lawyer would send her a certified letter at her work. That was the end of that.

Find the source, and what the real issue was and shut her down, or the few people who are doing it. Perhaps let new clients know, and remember those same people who are defaming you are also employed.
MsLisa 07:29 AM 07-01-2015
If you love what you do and believe it's worth fighting for, stick it out.

My Aftercare Program was in complete and utter shambles when I started. So many horrible rumors and stories about how it was previously ran. Anytime I talked about the program people would ask the same questions and bring up the same incident, to which I proudly (& repeatedly) let them know that it's all different now. It took a few months of complete reconstruction (& removal of bad mojo) and things turned around. Went from 10 kids to 20. Even a waiting list! People were hearing how different and better the program was. People got to know me and knew that they're kids were in amazing hands. It took time. It took not giving in even when I felt like the program was just never going to win.

I simply refused to let it die. I put a lot of myself into it and every day is a damn battle uphill but I stand up for my program. Someone has to. I agree with all above, find the source and remove it. Clear that bad mojo! Keep pushing forward!
crazydaycarelady 10:57 AM 07-01-2015
I think for the most part if you are running a good business people can differentiate between that and a gossip monger. However, after doing this for 24 years I do know that your demeanor and personality, as well as referrals, are what make the business continue. I had a friend who just didn't make a good first impression and did not have a jovial, smiling face. She had trouble getting clients in her daycare and only lasted a couple of years.
Play Care 05:05 AM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I think for the most part if you are running a good business people can differentiate between that and a gossip monger. However, after doing this for 24 years I do know that your demeanor and personality, as well as referrals, are what make the business continue. I had a friend who just didn't make a good first impression and did not have a jovial, smiling face. She had trouble getting clients in her daycare and only lasted a couple of years.
This.

I am an introvert. But I have to "fake it till I make it" when it comes to attracting clients. That's just part of the biz.
Reply Up