Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sign in Sheets
organicdclady 09:21 AM 07-19-2016
Hi all, I am wondering what everyone does for sign in sheets? Does each child have a designated sheet? Each family? Or something different?
I have always used one sheet per family for the month on a clipboard. Lately though my parents have gotten extremely lazy or just don't care anymore. They sign in wherever they feel like, even though a different Childs name is clearly labeled on top of the page. I have color coded the names to make it easier. I always put them in the same order. I don't understand how they don't notice it's the wrong sheet. Don't you see that's not your signature on the line above where your signing in?
I have reminded parents verbally, sent out notices and put a notice on the actual clipboard.
It's getting so annoying. My thought is to do a general sign in/out sheet for everyday. So every signs in on the same sheet. Depending on how many kids I have each day I might be able to fit up to three days on one piece of paper so I'm not being too wasteful although I know this is going to use way more paper.
What do you all think? Any other ideas welcome.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:43 AM 07-19-2016
In Ohio, they have to have their own sheet for "privacy" because obviously when I have 6 kids here parents would never know who was here when! LOL. Even my kids know who is going to be here and if they are here before or after them, who usually gets picked up first etc.
So I have what you have a clipboard for each child, color coded on the top edge. Names written across the sheet. They are in a bin on a shelf by the door out of kidlets' reach.
I have NEVER had another parent sign on the wrong sheet! I think I would be handing them the clipboard! I usually do pull them down when I see the parent pull in.... but I am just trying to expedite the process.
Febby 10:00 AM 07-19-2016
I've always seen them done for one week with all the children listed on the same paper. In KY, providers who accept child care assistance have to use a certain sign in/out form to submit to CCAP, which does list all the families on one form for the week.

If you do want to have a separate form for each child/family, then I like the idea of having them each on their own clipboard.

KY CCAP form: http://childcarecouncilofky.com/wp-c...Record-PDF.pdf
I've seen this one at three different centers I've worked at: http://www.procaresoftware.com/pdfs/...eekly-ampm.pdf
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
Hi all, I am wondering what everyone does for sign in sheets? Does each child have a designated sheet? Each family? Or something different?
I have always used one sheet per family for the month on a clipboard. Lately though my parents have gotten extremely lazy or just don't care anymore. They sign in wherever they feel like, even though a different Childs name is clearly labeled on top of the page. I have color coded the names to make it easier. I always put them in the same order. I don't understand how they don't notice it's the wrong sheet. Don't you see that's not your signature on the line above where your signing in?
I have reminded parents verbally, sent out notices and put a notice on the actual clipboard.
It's getting so annoying. My thought is to do a general sign in/out sheet for everyday. So every signs in on the same sheet. Depending on how many kids I have each day I might be able to fit up to three days on one piece of paper so I'm not being too wasteful although I know this is going to use way more paper.
What do you all think? Any other ideas welcome.
I use an excel spread sheet with each child's name listed according to age. There is a column for each day of the week and each day has a space for the parent to sign (full name) and time in and out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing

I am not required to give each child/family a separate sheet. but I AM required to have everyone sign in and out because I accept state assistance and because I participate with the food program.
jenboo 10:10 AM 07-19-2016
I use the bright wheel app. Parents use a 4 digit code to sign in/out. At the end of the month, i print it out and the sign the bottom
Annalee 10:15 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
In Ohio, they have to have their own sheet for "privacy" because obviously when I have 6 kids here parents would never know who was here when! LOL. Even my kids know who is going to be here and if they are here before or after them, who usually gets picked up first etc.
So I have what you have a clipboard for each child, color coded on the top edge. Names written across the sheet. They are in a bin on a shelf by the door out of kidlets' reach.
I have NEVER had another parent sign on the wrong sheet! I think I would be handing them the clipboard! I usually do pull them down when I see the parent pull in.... but I am just trying to expedite the process.
We do not have to provide a separate sheet for each child but I do and keep in binder with tabs....one sheet per child for the month
Unregistered 10:32 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use an excel spread sheet with each child's name listed according to age. There is a column for each day of the week and each day has a space for the parent to sign (full name) and time in and out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing

I am not required to give each child/family a separate sheet. but I AM required to have everyone sign in and out because I accept state assistance and because I participate with the food program.
According to an MLFCCA facebook post on 6/27/2015, signing in and out is no longer required for providers who participate only in the food program. My county's website still says it is required though, soo....
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
According to an MLFCCA facebook post on 6/27/2015, signing in and out is no longer required for providers who participate only in the food program. My county's website still says it is required though, soo....
Yeah, I know... they change the rules so much that it's hard to keep track.

My licensor said it's simply a good rule of thumb to have sign in/out sheets and I agree.

I am a 4 star Parent Aware rated program too and accept EL-RTT scholarships and CCAP for payment and both of them recommend sign in/out sheets too.

I've also used them as proof MANY times for other reasons so as a constant advocate for documentation I just keep requiring them.
Meeko 11:38 AM 07-19-2016
I print up a calendar with each family's name at the top and staple them all together "book style". Each parent must turn to their page and sign in/out.

As it's calendar, I also print closed days on it, holidays etc and any reminders or notes.

They can't say they didn't know when it's right in front of them every single day.

They also cross out days they aren't going to attend.

I tried time sheets etc....but the calendar works best for me.

At the end of the month, it's easy to store in the bookshelf.
organicdclady 11:38 AM 07-19-2016
I am required by licensing to have each family sign in and out but there is no rule on how they actually do it. If it wasn't required I would just do away with it because it's causing so nuch irritation.
Thank you for all the ideas and examples. I am going to make one of them work!
284878 05:35 AM 07-20-2016
Mine is similar layout but different titles to black cats but is a month of dates with intails all week and signature at the end. I black out dates that my dc is closed or the child's not coming. State requires the sheet with parent signiture but I can do the time or they can. I use color to get their attention. I greet them at the door and remind them if needed.

I have a premade sign that says, sign in please ready to post on the door if I ever have an issue with someone not sign in.

I would recommend a sheet for documentation reasons. It helps prove when a family is late, no show, attendance and could protect you in a lawsuit.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:46 AM 07-20-2016
I thought in CA we are required to do sign-in sheets. Either way, I agree with BlackCat and have just used this practice ever since opening. It has even been helpful for me in the past when I a parent disputed attendance on a certain day.

I use a dated weekly sign-in sheet and can fit 5 kids on one sheet. Parents sign in and out each day. At the end of the month, I scan all the sheets in my computer and shred them.
AmyKidsCo 11:38 AM 07-20-2016
WI has a form we have to use but I shrunk it down and on the far right I have a place for the pick-up person to initial every day and for parents to write a number where they can be reached that day.

For confidentiality I use first name, last initial only. At one time I worried that having the contact info was a confidentiality issue, but since the parent is writing it down I figured it was OK.
MarinaVanessa 01:13 PM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I thought in CA we are required to do sign-in sheets. Either way, I agree with BlackCat and have just used this practice ever since opening. It has even been helpful for me in the past when I a parent disputed attendance on a certain day.

I use a dated weekly sign-in sheet and can fit 5 kids on one sheet. Parents sign in and out each day. At the end of the month, I scan all the sheets in my computer and shred them.
Nope, not required in CA.

I still do anyway too. I have one sign in sheet per child which are kept in a binder.

I also use the binder as my emergency binder so I keep other important documents in here too like copies of emergency information forms, emergency plan, emergency drill logs etc. I also keep the typical documents that licensing asks for in here so it's easy for me to show them ... my license, orientation certificate, fingerprint results, TB test results, CPR certificate, roster etc.
Nurse Jackie 01:32 PM 07-20-2016
I use the brightwheel app and love it!
Meeko 06:22 PM 07-20-2016
Old record. This is how I do my attendance. A page for each family. I can add closed days, reminders, notes etc. too.
Attached: attendance.jpg (32.7 KB) 
spedmommy4 07:05 PM 07-20-2016
I use the Kinderlime app. Each parent has a 4 digit pin and they sign in and out on the iPad. (Can also be used on other devices) When I had staff, they could sign in and out on the app and I could use it to track their hours too.
TXhomedaycare 07:59 PM 07-20-2016
I also use the Brightwheel app and think it is great. I was wasting too much paper.
spinnymarie 08:32 AM 07-21-2016
I have every one on the same single page for each day. It has a place for each kids' name, the time they are contracted to arrive, a place to write the time they actually arrived, and a place to sign, then the time they are contracted to pick up, a place to write the time they actually picked up, a place to sign again, and then a column for any extra time not contracted. Parents write in any minutes that I'm going to charge them for
Each day I flip the page.
Attached: Sign In.pdf (91.1 KB) 
spinnymarie 08:39 AM 07-21-2016
Adding: These pages are all in a binder for the month. I have attendance at the bottom, and I cross out kids who aren't there that day. Then I also have emergency contacts in the binder so I can use it for emergencies.
organicdclady 11:44 AM 07-21-2016
So I printed off black cats sign in sheets. Was really excited because they seem so easy and a total paper saver. I showed everyone the new sheet, told them where to sign. I even wrote all the kids names in so it would be really easy. Well...5 parents signed in the wrong place.
Im just throwing my hands up in defeat at this point.
NillaWafers 01:09 PM 07-21-2016
I read somewhere that signing with a pin won't hold up in the courts. I just have a sign in sheet with name, date, in/out time and signature.
Crazy8 01:54 PM 07-21-2016
This is one area I haven't gone digital on, I like having those 52 pages with signatures on them at the end of the year!!

I use one sheet per week in an open binder by the door - all 5-6 kids are on one page. When I had more kids I used 2 pages but filed them in my binder so they were facing each other when open. Parent signs in and out with time and signature for each day.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
So I printed off black cats sign in sheets. Was really excited because they seem so easy and a total paper saver. I showed everyone the new sheet, told them where to sign. I even wrote all the kids names in so it would be really easy. Well...5 parents signed in the wrong place.
Im just throwing my hands up in defeat at this point.
Oh, I used high-lighter's to "Show" the parents that signed in the wrong spot. lol!

I had everyone sign in at drop off. After everyone had arrived, I saw a few signatures in the wrong space so I used a yellow high-lighter and highlighted their name. I used a pink one to highlight where they should have signed.

When they came in at pick up, they of course asked about the markings so I educated them.

Never happened again.

I don't think parents like their "mistakes" (which in my opinion show comprehension skills... ) high lighted.
Meeko 11:41 AM 07-22-2016
This is why I have one sheet per family. Most of them are capable of finding their own name.

Note ** I said "most" **
SignMeUp 01:12 PM 07-22-2016
Ha, I highlight the sign-out area once it is closing time and I can see how much it embarrasses the late parent.
The funny thing to me - he is the only one who comes late so no one else sees it, but somehow he is still embarassed.
Josiegirl 03:38 PM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I print up a calendar with each family's name at the top and staple them all together "book style". Each parent must turn to their page and sign in/out.

As it's calendar, I also print closed days on it, holidays etc and any reminders or notes.

They can't say they didn't know when it's right in front of them every single day.

They also cross out days they aren't going to attend.

I tried time sheets etc....but the calendar works best for me.

At the end of the month, it's easy to store in the bookshelf.
That's a good idea!!
Is there any issue of privacy?
Meeko 03:29 PM 07-24-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's a good idea!!
Is there any issue of privacy?
No, they just go straight for their own name.

They don't care about what time anyone else arrived.
Tags:sign in sheet
Reply Up