Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd
momofboys 05:16 AM 05-26-2010
DCG is 4 years old & only comes to my home 2x a week normally (she normally is in preschool the other days but preschool ended on Monday). This week & next week she is at my home everyday. She has always napped here & never complains about it & falls asleep quickly. I know a lot of kids don't nap at age 4 but she does. She has to get up by 6:00 am so I think by 1:00 or so she really is truly tired. Here is my issue, DCM told me yesterday that she didn't think DCD needed to nap here anymore & it was fine for me to do quiet time but "don't make her nap". Mom said daughter "didn't like naptime". Okay, I have about 6 days left watching her (until summer break for her mom) & she wants to flat-out change the routine. She even said "let her watch tv if you need a break" lol! Sorry, but I don't do TV time hardly at all & won't do it during a quiet time. So I told her fine she can look at books/do puzzles quietly on the couch. She fell asleep in 5 minutes! I don't agree with stopping the nap if she actually falls asleep within minutes of lying down. So now I have to ask mom should I wake her up if she falls asleep? I am so ready for summer break. Would you ask the mom about it or just blow it off since I have such a short timeframe until summer?
Daycare Mommy 05:50 AM 05-26-2010
I wouldn't ask. I'd tell her. "I did what you said and she passed out on the couch within 5 minutes." She obviously is tired and offering the quiet time with books is plenty accomodating. If mom wants to experiment with removing naps she can do it when she is caring for her. No matter what that mom says, I would NEVER force a child to stay awake during quiet time.
Vesta 06:08 AM 05-26-2010
Blow the mom off and let the kid sleep.
Most of my kids "don't like nap time", but they are out within 5 to 10 minutes of laying down.
misol 06:59 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I wouldn't ask. I'd tell her. "I did what you said and she passed out on the couch within 5 minutes." She obviously is tired and offering the quiet time with books is plenty accomodating. If mom wants to experiment with removing naps she can do it when she is caring for her. No matter what that mom says, I would NEVER force a child to stay awake during quiet time.
I agree with this. What's the mom's rush? Why can't she just wait 6 days and then she can do whatever she wants with her daughter!
melskids 08:14 AM 05-26-2010
i have one too, who complains to mommy that she doesnt want to nap and that i make her....funny though, she lays down without complaining to me and is the first one passed out, and the last one to get up...lol

i would tell mom you will let her sit during quiet time with books or puzzles, but if she falls asleep you will not be waking her up.
JJPlaycare 08:28 AM 05-26-2010
I had a mother ask if I would get rid of nap for her 3 year old because he won't go to bed before 8:30!!! What?!?!?! So I told her he doesn't have to nap, but he has to have quiet time, she said okay that is fine!! Well he ALWAYS falls asleep!! Kids fall asleep because they are tired and they obviously need it, I am not going to try and keep him up, when he is obviously over tired!! Well she hasn't really complained anymore and I think she just realizes that he does need the nap, because when he doesn't nap, she usually has one heck of an evening! Besides 8:30pm isn't a bad bedtime!!
WHAT KID LIKES TO NAP! LOL that gets me everytime! : P
professionalmom 10:50 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I had a mother ask if I would get rid of nap for her 3 year old because he won't go to bed before 8:30!!! What?!?!?! So I told her he doesn't have to nap, but he has to have quiet time, she said okay that is fine!! Well he ALWAYS falls asleep!! Kids fall asleep because they are tired and they obviously need it, I am not going to try and keep him up, when he is obviously over tired!! Well she hasn't really complained anymore and I think she just realizes that he does need the nap, because when he doesn't nap, she usually has one heck of an evening! Besides 8:30pm isn't a bad bedtime!!
WHAT KID LIKES TO NAP! LOL that gets me everytime! : P
That reminds me of the DCB I once had. When he was 12 - 18 months, the mother kept complaining that she didn't want him to be put down for bed until at least 9pm, preferably 10pm (late night client), because then he would want to get up at 7am and she wanted to be able to sleep in after working until 10:30 or 11pm. I have a pre-bed / bed time of 8pm. I get them ready around 8pm and have them lay down, read them a story, etc. The poor boy was passed out in less than 3 minutes! I tried to keep him up later and he would just cry. I finally told the mom that I have a policy that I do NOT wake a sleeping child (except in emergencies) or force a child to stay awake if (s)he is obviously tired. She finally shut up about it, but later claimed that because of this issue, I was "violating her parental rights"! WHAT??? LOL!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:56 AM 05-26-2010
I would just tell her that you will try but if she falls asleep then you arent going to wake her. its only 6 days,... I wouldnt worry about it.
Tags:naps
Reply Up