Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do With My Own Kids During Nap Time?
DBug 11:42 AM 07-06-2010
Summer's barely started, and things are already getting crazy! My 3-year-old daughter sleeps at naptime along with the daycare kids, but my sons are 8 and 10, so they're way too old for that. I originally thought they'd be able to spend naptime playing in the backyard. I ordered the SA add-on from Funshine, so I have a craft to do with them and the two 4-year-old dc kids who don't nap either. We do that in the backyard, and then the dc kids are fine to play outside or read quietly inside the house. But my sons are constantly in and out, getting drinks or trying to sneak their friends in. It's a small house and the door opening and closing constantly is enough to wake up the dc kids sleeping in the playroom. It's been really hot this week, so I don't want to force my sons to stay outside. And I've already told them that they can't have friends in during naptime. But I'm at a loss as to how to keep them occupied without being all dictatorial about it. I mean, it's their house too, and they should be allowed to use it.

I'm considering instituting mandatory movie-watching during naptime, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. My boys would be fine with it, but between video games, the computer, and the movies that they already watch (we don't have TV at least, but we do watch movies & shows on network websites), I'd like to minimize their screen time as much as possible.

Any advice? Does anybody else have their own school-age children to occupy, and how do you do it?
momma2girls 11:55 AM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
Summer's barely started, and things are already getting crazy! My 3-year-old daughter sleeps at naptime along with the daycare kids, but my sons are 8 and 10, so they're way too old for that. I originally thought they'd be able to spend naptime playing in the backyard. I ordered the SA add-on from Funshine, so I have a craft to do with them and the two 4-year-old dc kids who don't nap either. We do that in the backyard, and then the dc kids are fine to play outside or read quietly inside the house. But my sons are constantly in and out, getting drinks or trying to sneak their friends in. It's a small house and the door opening and closing constantly is enough to wake up the dc kids sleeping in the playroom. It's been really hot this week, so I don't want to force my sons to stay outside. And I've already told them that they can't have friends in during naptime. But I'm at a loss as to how to keep them occupied without being all dictatorial about it. I mean, it's their house too, and they should be allowed to use it.

I'm considering instituting mandatory movie-watching during naptime, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. My boys would be fine with it, but between video games, the computer, and the movies that they already watch (we don't have TV at least, but we do watch movies & shows on network websites), I'd like to minimize their screen time as much as possible.

Any advice? Does anybody else have their own school-age children to occupy, and how do you do it?
yES, I had to implement the same thing about 4 yrs. ago, everyone Kindergarten and up, will either watch a movie quietly and lay down and read books quietly to themselves for 1/2 hr. then I let them pick out a movie. If they want to they can go outside, but once anyone comes in they have to stay in and be quiet and follow my rules!! I used to do a crafts or color, or worksheets, it got way too loud, and wondering what to do next, etc. so I put a stop to that quickly!!! Good luck, but stay firm, they will get it!!
Vesta 12:28 PM 07-06-2010
I'm a dictator during nap time.
Before nap, school agers including my own DD7 journal while I'm doing circle time and story. They are welcome to listen to the story with the younger kids.
Then they read while I'm getting the younger kids down (this takes 1/2 hour whether they fall asleep right away or not)
During the summer we use the living room for naps so the older kids stay in the daycare (I can still hear them)
The one child(7) I can trust about as far as I can throw her, sits with me in the room while the little ones are falling asleep.
Once everyone is asleep my school age kids sit with me and do their individual summer bridge work. When they are done they may do a math based activity or puzzle. When everyone is finished we work on a literacy based activity together.
Typically we wrap it up by 2:30.
They are then instructed to play quietly or they can sit by me while I do what I'm doing now (farting around on the computer).
My group (save for the one who I have to lord over, but that's just the way she is) is pretty calm, and my own kid is a typically well behaved kid (of course I was going to throttle her last night).
I have a fan in the daycare area, my oven hood fan on high, a fan in the nap room on high and garden rain music playing, so lots of white noise.

The kids have choices, they just have to do it quietly or they choose to sit on the floor next to me while I give them the occasional stank eye.

I'm with you on the keeping screen time down to a minimum. My own kid just got kicked off of all screens for the next two weeks. Maybe you could skim from some other time to make up for a movie watched during nap time?
Maybe make them watch Hell's Kitchen or Top Chef on Hulu so they can learn how to cook?
Good luck, I don't envy you having to keep the older boys quiet and occupied. I don't think those words go together naturally. And on the fact that they are yours...... sigh. At least you're fighting the good fight.
Crystal 12:36 PM 07-06-2010
The very first thing my son (12 years) does is sit down and read, 30-60 minutes.....he LOVES to read and quite often that time will turn in to close to two hours. It has never been a choice though.....beginning of nap is reading time. After that, he goes outside to play basketball then comes in, has a snack and watches tv in his bedroom. This is a typical day during nap, but does change from time to time depending on what is going on.
katie 06:09 PM 07-06-2010
My 7 yr old and 4 yr old girls have to play in their room quietly. My 9 yr old son is only allowed to watch his Star Wars very quietly during this time. It gives him something to look forward to and keeps him quiet. It took some work, but they are used to having to do somthing quiet in this time.
Janet 03:54 AM 07-07-2010
First off, I'd tell your 8 & 10 year olds that they need to pick a place to hang out and stay with it. If they choose to play outside, then I would give them bottles of water and sunscreen. If they have to use the restroom, I would have them do it quickly and quietly. If they are doing the in and out of the house thing, then I would just tell them that they are done and that you'll be choosing their activity. Movie time is awesome for school age kids! Also, if your own kids are hanging out with kids that are their friends (but not your daycare kids) then I would make it a rule that they have to entertain themselves outside during nap and there will be no indoor activities during naptime. Sometimes kids who are not accustiomed to your rules can really wreak havoc!
Daycare Mommy 04:51 AM 07-07-2010
I'd limit them to reading, puzzles, drawing, tv, video games, or some other equally quiet activities. Naptime isn't a super long time and it is during the hottest part of the day, so I wouldn't feel bad keeping them in.
DBug 11:44 AM 07-09-2010
Thanks so much for all of the ideas. I've implemented the "No friends over during quiet time" rule, and I've also told my boys that they need to stay inside for the 2 hours. Part of my frustration may have stemmed from the 9 year old friend that was ringing the doorbell looking for someone to play with at 12:30 -- right when I'm getting the little ones changed for naptime. Oi! It took a few days of me telling him our new rule, but I think he got it. I'm thinking his mom might have been sending him out of the house after lunch so that his baby sister could sleep ...

Thanks again, Ladies!
tenderhearts 03:40 PM 07-09-2010
when my kids were that age I allowed them to do whatever they wanted as long as it didn't interfere with the kids napping.
Tags:naptime
Reply Up