Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Questions: How to Know You Have Too Many & When to Contact Expectant Mom
momofboys 10:19 AM 08-15-2010
I am really happy with the family I have now & I don't want to mess things up with them nor do I want to overwork myself. That said I am supposed to take on an infant in late Sept. I'm excited about it! I will only have 3 kids here (including the infant) when that happens. I would love to take on a part-timer (not interested in anymore FT) but have to find the right child & the right timeframes to meet my needs the best. One issue that plays into this is I took on this expectant couple. They said they wanted to use me in mid July. Their child should be born soon, or maybe already has been. I have not heard from them. They said they wanted me & would let me know after baby's arrival but I wonder if they could still be looking? I'm not supposed to begin watching their child until September sometime. I e-mailed them my updated contract with some addendums that I said I would be making & I never heard a response (this was weeks ago!). In the meantime I have turned down 3 people who called me for interviews b/c of this potential client. It's so frustrating. They are first time parents. I did tell them that they needed to return paperwork to me otherwise I would still consider the spot open. They have not. Should I call them to verify that they are still using me? I thought of e-mailing to say I had some other people call me about care so I wanted to verify she still was going to need me. Is that appropriate to ask?
MyAngels 01:13 PM 08-15-2010
Yes, you should definitely call and confirm their intentions. I have been charging a two week deposit to hold a spot for several years now. This keeps people from saying they will take a spot and then changing their minds without telling you. It weeds out those who are not serious as well. I would give them a deadline - a few days at most - to return the paperwork (and the deposit, if you feel comfortable asking for it at this point). If they don't return it consider the spot still open.
alyssyn 01:22 PM 08-15-2010
Yes, you should try to reach them one more time. If no response in a couple of days I would consider the spot still open and fill it.
momofboys 03:56 PM 08-15-2010
Tks for the insight! I think I am just paranoid but since these are 1st time parents I could see them changing their minds. I plan to call her tomorrow & will keep you posted. Thanks!
Crystal 04:30 PM 08-15-2010
I would definitely call.

I recommend that in the future that you don't hold a spot without a signed contract and and a non-refundable deposit. Then you can be almost 100% certain that they will be enrolling.

Good luck though. I hope they have just forgotten to call and they tell you they'll be coming! I LOVE babies!
Tags:pregnancy
Reply Up