Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination - Two Weeks' Notice Question
AfterSchoolMom 05:10 AM 11-04-2010
If a parent gives two weeks' notice, I require that they pay the two weeks up front. I've seen that several of you here do that as well.

If you terminate a child for violent behavior, and you terminate effective immediately, do you just eat the two weeks rate and forget about it, or do you push the parent to pay it, even if they're not going to be there?

This is a totally hypothetical situation. I was just looking over my contract, and thought of this.
BentleysBands 05:37 AM 11-04-2010
i have had both senarios happen:

1) had to term immediately due to child/or parents behavior . when i did i was just happy to have them gone i didnt pursue payments . My parents pay on monday BEFORe care is given. if for some reason i term during the week , NO money is refunded.

2) parent gave 2 wk notice due to move but she paid and continued care till last day
MyAngels 06:17 AM 11-04-2010
If I were terminating for unacceptable behavior and expected that the child be withdrawn immediately I would not expect to be paid for those final two weeks, because I'm not giving them the option to bring their child.
missnikki 06:23 AM 11-04-2010
I agree. The prepay and deposit system is intended to prevent non-payment for reasons other than when you hit your threshold of tolerance.

You collect two weeks in case a parent pulls their kid and you have no notice. You collect payment in advance to prevent providing free child care and avoiding court. If you kick the child out, you made that choice. You eat the money. If you wanted the 2 week amount, you should term effective 2 weeks from now, in a notice today.

Just my 2 cents.
DancingQueen 06:27 AM 11-04-2010
If I give 2 weeks notice they pay the 2 weeks (monday prior to care)
If they give the 2 weeks they pay the same as above
if I term immediately - I have their 1 week deposit that I took in the begining of care that does not get refunded so I get one week of care.
DancingQueen 06:27 AM 11-04-2010
I mean one week of pay
AfterSchoolMom 09:48 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
You collect two weeks in case a parent pulls their kid and you have no notice. You collect payment in advance to prevent providing free child care and avoiding court. If you kick the child out, you made that choice. You eat the money. If you wanted the 2 week amount, you should term effective 2 weeks from now, in a notice today.

Just my 2 cents.

So what if you have their two week deposit and you kick them out? Do you refund the money or keep it?

Again, I don't have this happening right now - just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I definitely think it's sensible not to expect payment for care that you're not giving if you term immediately.
DancingQueen 09:54 AM 11-04-2010
it is in my contract that I reserve the right to keep their deposit if I have to term for behavior issues without notice.
so I get to use it as a case by case situation.
Tags:notice, termination
Reply Up