Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Do ? I Am Torn Apart
serach 06:53 PM 09-06-2011
My next door neighbor rented her garage as an illegal daycare. my tenants left saying they dont want to rent where every morning they have to wake up so early to the sounds of kids and moms chatting away. ( i dont blame them) My wife is sick and needs to rest but cant since there is eighteen kids playing in the tiny yard. She is an unwell person who needs to rest during the day. If i were to report her to department of buildings in ny would she go to jail? The landlord is unaproachable. My only solution is to report but i cant bear the thought of her going to jail . on the other hand i am suffering and she can easily find another place to rent. IT REALLY is the dam landlord fault. renting a garage is illegal.what do you think? what do you know about the law in new york
Michael 07:12 PM 09-06-2011
Welcome to the forum. New York requirements and contact numbers are here: https://www.daycare.com/newyork/

In my opinion she is not going to go to jail. They may fine her for not being licensed or over her ratio.
PitterPatter 07:17 PM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by serach:
My next door neighbor rented her garage as an illegal daycare. my tenants left saying they dont want to rent where every morning they have to wake up so early to the sounds of kids and moms chatting away. ( i dont blame them) My wife is sick and needs to rest but cant since there is eighteen kids playing in the tiny yard. She is an unwell person who needs to rest during the day. If i were to report her to department of buildings in ny would she go to jail? The landlord is unaproachable. My only solution is to report but i cant bear the thought of her going to jail . on the other hand i am suffering and she can easily find another place to rent. IT REALLY is the dam landlord fault. renting a garage is illegal.what do you think? what do you know about the law in new york
Is the lady using JUST a garage for the whole daycare? I don't know about NY laws but I bet they match all the other states. Daycares must have running water, restroom, food prep & storage areas, not to mention a working stove and fridge. How large is this garage? Is it attached to her home or is she just renting a simple garage?
rysakaem1 07:40 PM 09-06-2011
I believe they will close her down and the landlord will have to pay a fine for the illegal use of garage.
melskids 04:42 AM 09-07-2011
i am in NY....what she is doing is illegal.

first of all, you can't have a daycare in a garage unless its been converted to meet all of the regs. there must be two exits, (not including the actual garage door), fireproof walls, running water,etc.

second, if she really has 18 kids, not only is she over ratio for family care, she is over ratio for group care and would require an assistant.

unregistered providers can only have 2 children in their care.

if you turn her in, she will not go to jail, but she will be shut down and fined.

i'm sure the landlord will be in trouble too. i'm sure he's renting without the proper permits.
wdmmom 05:42 AM 09-07-2011
If you are a mandatory reporter, it is your job to report this!

I can't believe that there are care givers out there that provide care and parents that take their kids to hang out in a garage all day!!!
KEG123 06:45 AM 09-07-2011
This is definitely a reportable situation. At they very least it will be looked into. If everything you say is true, she will be fined and be forced to comply with state daycare rules at the minimum, whether or not she is licensed or unlicensed..
Cat Herder 07:41 AM 09-07-2011
Just give Licensing a call...18 kids to one provider, in such a confined space, would warrant a quick call from me for sure. (I have 6 toddlers in a converted/air conditioned/attached two car garage and some days it can feel like a tuna can )

Typically they wont even fine her unless she continues operating after being told to shut down.

Now, if they are checked out and are operating legally, there is not much that can be done. I hope maybe the two of you could work out an amicable solution to all the noise for your wifes sake.

I know I would work with you...I'd expect most would.
familyschoolcare 07:47 AM 09-07-2011
You should report this. All day care providers that are operating illegally are giving the good ones a bad name.
Tags:illegal providers, neighbor issue, new member
Reply Up