Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scensory Tubs/ Activity Tubs
kcnjason 01:02 PM 10-03-2011
I have posted in the past regarding scensory tubs. We do a lot of scensory activities but necessarily in a tub. We do a lot of learning activities using different things. I was contemplating doing a few tubs, maybe moon sand, cheerios....any other ideas? Just a few tubs so when the young ones are feeling bored I can pull out a tub. I was also wondering if you set yours on the floor? Its hard for them to reach when at the big table and the smaller table seems too small for a larger item with something in it. Any ideas? How do you do it?
Ariana 03:24 PM 10-03-2011
I have one bin that I use and just interchange what's in it. I use Moon Sand and beans (not mixed together!!). I just went to the grocery store and bought a couple bags of various dried beans and it's a huge hit. You can also do rice and noodles!

I usually set the bin on the floor as well
Oneluckymom 03:31 PM 10-03-2011
Curious...what size bin is good for this...can I find them at walmart?
sharlan 03:39 PM 10-03-2011
I use the small disposable aluminum pans set on a 1/2 sheet pan. I use one for each of the boys on opposite sides of the table.

I mostly use colored rice, sometimes I add some colored sand along with the rice. It settles to the bottom so they have to scoot the rice aside to get to it. I just strain it and put the sand back in the little bottle.

I put whatever we're working on that week - letters, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. I put the items on the bottom and the boys have to pick them out using toast tongs. After they pull everything out and identify it, then they can put their trains or cars in it.

Remember - kidney beans are toxic when soaked, but not cooked.
daycare 03:40 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Curious...what size bin is good for this...can I find them at walmart?
I know this sounds weird, but I used kitty litter boxes. New ones of course.
I find they are less messy as they can only be used one at a time and they are hard to tip over.
Oneluckymom 04:01 PM 10-03-2011
[quote=daycare;150623]I know this sounds weird, but I used kitty litter boxes. New ones of course."

Lol...I couldn't help but laugh" I'll be sure to use new ones!
sharlan 05:42 PM 10-03-2011
Whatever works.
beachgrl 07:43 PM 10-03-2011
I saW another fcch that put the water beads like the ones that are really small until you ad water to them, people use them in vases and they comemin different colors...they were a hit with her group.
Unregistered 08:01 PM 10-03-2011
I think these are really cute:

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how...-how-to-106693

This has a bunch of ideas/info:

http://www.preschooleducation.com/ebook/sand.pdf
Attached: sensory-tables.pdf (112.0 KB) 
melskids 02:24 AM 10-04-2011
we made cloud dough yesterday, and it was a hit!

8 cups of flour
1 cup of baby oil

i ended up adding more baby oil, (another 1/2 cup or so) i didnt think it was enough

its crumbly, but packs like moon sand, and it feels very smooth and silky.

as far as a table, my hubby took a cement mixing tub from the home depot, and built a table for it to sit in. but i like those tubs cause they are very sturdy. sometimes i set it right on the floor.
Little planet 07:10 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

8 cups of flour
1 cup of baby oil

i ended up adding more baby oil, (another 1/2 cup or so) i didnt think it was enough

as far as a table, my hubby took a cement mixing tub from the home depot, and built a table for it to sit in. but i like those tubs cause they are very sturdy. sometimes i set it right on the floor.

I love this idea. I will let my kids do it too.
Thank you!
SilverSabre25 07:14 AM 10-04-2011

8 cups of flour
1 cup of baby oil

Does it leave their hands oily at all?
Ariana 07:26 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Remember - kidney beans are toxic when soaked, but not cooked.
Good to know! I had no idea. Luckily we haven't used kidney beans at all.

As for a tub to put stuff in, anything will work. Right now I use a dishwashing tub that I used for baking bread and for camping!!
meganlavonnesmommy 08:21 AM 10-04-2011
I just use a rubbermaid plastic tote. We put it on the floor. I usually use rice or beans. Right now I have white and black beans mixed. I just put halloween stuff in it. We'll use it next week.

I've also seen people use packing peanuts, cut up drinking straws, beads, anything small and lightweight.
SilverSabre25 08:42 AM 10-04-2011
I'm making a fall sensory tub right now with dried popcorn. Also some silk leaves I found for $1 and plenty of scoops, spoons, funnels, and cups. I'll probably put some other little things in that I have laying around.

Edit: I just set mine on the floor and let them go to town. I have a "one and you're done" rule for it--if you drop bits outside the tub on purpose, you're done for the whole day. No second chances. If it gets too wild/too many kids, I'll make everyone leave except the child who was there first
melskids 09:22 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Does it leave their hands oily at all?
nope! they do feel nice and smooth afterwards though!
SilverSabre25 09:23 AM 10-04-2011
nope! they do feel nice and smooth afterwards though!
Awesome...I might have to use that this winter and call it "warm snow" hee hee hee.
Lianne 09:38 AM 10-04-2011
I'm making a fall sensory tub right now with dried popcorn. Also some silk leaves I found for $1 and plenty of scoops, spoons, funnels, and cups. I'll probably put some other little things in that I have laying around.

Edit: I just set mine on the floor and let them go to town. I have a "one and you're done" rule for it--if you drop bits outside the tub on purpose, you're done for the whole day. No second chances. If it gets too wild/too many kids, I'll make everyone leave except the child who was there first
Popped popcorn or the kernals?
melskids 09:40 AM 10-04-2011
Awesome...I might have to use that this winter and call it "warm snow" hee hee hee.
i actually put a little orange food coloring in it and they made "pumpkins"!
SilverSabre25 10:17 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Popped popcorn or the kernals?
the kernals. Popped corn would get destoryed (smashed) in a heartbeat!
E Daycare 04:42 AM 10-05-2011
I use a small ikea table and have one of those clear shoe containers filled with split peas and beans and have Halloween beads/erasers/little Halloween toys/fall colored pom poms and various size tongs. When it's sensory time they take turns sitting at the table sorting through with tongs into egg cartons and other containers. They love it but clean up is oh so fun!
Cat Herder 04:49 AM 10-05-2011
You rock!!!!

This is exactly the kind of activity I have been googling for...

Thanks!!!

I am sick of paper, glue and paint crafts...

Will it dry solid at all? (the crayola stuff is expensive)
melskids 04:58 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
You rock!!!!

This is exactly the kind of activity I have been googling for...

Thanks!!!

I am sick of paper, glue and paint crafts...

Will it dry solid at all? (the crayola stuff is expensive)
i'm not sure, but i dont think so. ive had it out in the table for 2 days now without a lid, and its not drying out. i think the baby oil will proly keep it from doing that. its more crumbly like moonsand, then doughy like playdough.

theyve been packing it to make pumpkins and then just crumbling it up again.

if youre looking for something to dry out, try googling a salt dough recipe. (i dont have one at the moment, but i know thats what we've used in the past to make christmas ornaments and such.)
Cat Herder 05:02 AM 10-05-2011
i'm not sure, but i dont think so. ive had it out in the table for 2 days now without a lid, and its not drying out. i think the baby oil will proly keep it from doing that.

theyve been packing it to make pumpkins and then just crumbling it up again.

if youre looking for something to dry out, try googling a salt dough recipe. (i dont have one at the moment, but i know thats what we've used in the past to make christmas ornaments and such.)
Cool, Thanks. All of my crew are two and under...so I shy away from anything that may sting their eyes.
tbutler 07:09 AM 10-05-2011
Great ideas. I'm definitely saving this thread and making sensory tubs this weekend. (amongst cleaning, washing, soccer game,etc )
Unregistered 11:09 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Cool, Thanks. All of my crew are two and under...so I shy away from anything that may sting their eyes.
So what do you use in your sensory tables for the little kiddo's? The under two crowd? What age do you let them start playing with the sensory tables? Would love some ideas for the little ones.
SilverSabre25 11:13 AM 10-05-2011
Here's a picture of my fall sensory tub. It's got dried corn kernals, some silk leaves, some large-ish wooden candy corns I got off some bracelets from Jo-Anns ($1!), a cute metal candy corn tin (Jo-Ann's $1), a cute pumpkin bucket (Target? $1 also), a pinecone, some scoops. Unfortunately, the funnels don't work because they don't have a large enough spout.

They are LOVING this box...the corn has a really neat feel and makes neat sounds. Tonight I'm going to get some cinnamon sticks to put in, to give it a nice smell.
Attached: GEDC1293.jpg (79.2 KB) 
DCMom 11:20 AM 10-05-2011
Here's a picture of my fall sensory tub. It's got dried corn kernals, some silk leaves, some large-ish wooden candy corns I got off some bracelets from Jo-Anns ($1!), a cute metal candy corn tin (Jo-Ann's $1), a cute pumpkin bucket (Target? $1 also), a pinecone, some scoops. Unfortunately, the funnels don't work because they don't have a large enough spout.

They are LOVING this box...the corn has a really neat feel and makes neat sounds. Tonight I'm going to get some cinnamon sticks to put in, to give it a nice smell.
You've inspired me Silver I have all of those things but never thought of mixing them together with popcorn but I'm a little worried about popcorn kernels...do the kids stick them in places where they shouldn't be? (ie: nose, ears, etc)

I guess I'm just paranoid ~ I had one stick a pony bead up her nose once and it resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I'm scarred for life
SilverSabre25 12:07 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
You've inspired me Silver I have all of those things but never thought of mixing them together with popcorn but I'm a little worried about popcorn kernels...do the kids stick them in places where they shouldn't be? (ie: nose, ears, etc)

I guess I'm just paranoid ~ I had one stick a pony bead up her nose once and it resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I'm scarred for life
So far, nothing of the sort has happened but I just put it out this morning. I sit on the floor beside them, monitoring the usage (they're young--2, 2, rules-avoiding 3)). I don't allow the corn or the bits to leave the tub, everything must be held over the tub, and they are not a group that tends to stick things places. Well, one boy likes to put things between his toes . If I saw corn heading for an orifice, I would simply intercept it's journey, and probably send the offender off to do something else.
karen 10:32 AM 10-06-2011
I have a long rectangle bin that I bought at Drug Mart or you can get one anywhere I think it was around 10.00. I change it every few weeks...
Oatmeal dry or wet if you are daring!
Pasta
Dirt
Dirt with worms
Sand
Rice
Rice and Beans
Beans
Clean Mud-recipe on the Idea Box
KIDS Scissors and scraps of paper
Pinecones, Leaves and acorns
Water
Water with bubbles
Slime
just to name a few!
momofsix 10:39 AM 10-06-2011
Last year I did acorns, and BUGS were in the bin the next day Does anyone know what to do to avoid this! I had already washed them on the outside, the bugs came from inside. I don't want to take the chance again! It was so disgusting!!!
erinalexmom 05:39 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I know this sounds weird, but I used kitty litter boxes. New ones of course.
I find they are less messy as they can only be used one at a time and they are hard to tip over.
Im glad their new otherwise that would be a whole different kind of sensory experience!
MsMe 08:25 AM 10-07-2011
I just made the flour oil mix and I would love to add food color to it....does it leave color oh the kids hands or cloths?
nannyde 08:39 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Last year I did acorns, and BUGS were in the bin the next day Does anyone know what to do to avoid this! I had already washed them on the outside, the bugs came from inside. I don't want to take the chance again! It was so disgusting!!!
Can you put them in the deep freeze for a week or so before you give them to the kids? Would that work?
melskids 09:04 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I just made the flour oil mix and I would love to add food color to it....does it leave color oh the kids hands or cloths?
it didn't with us. i made sure to mix it in fairly well first. and i didnt use a whole lot, so it was more a pale orange then a bright orange.

005.JPG
Attached:
MyAngels 09:10 AM 10-07-2011
I just thought I'd share - I made my first ever sensory bin last night and it has been the biggest hit.

I've got five kids today and they have been playing and playing with it. Taking turns. Sharing. Staying neat. Endlessly fascinated with the items I put in it.

I don't think I would have ever thought of doing one of these without this forum, so thanks everyone for the ideas .
MsMe 09:14 AM 10-07-2011
it didn't with us. i made sure to mix it in fairly well first. and i didnt use a whole lot, so it was more a pale orange then a bright orange.

Attachment 654
thanks! I went ahead and gave it to them white.....maybe next time we use it I willl add color and they will think it is all new!!!

momofsix 09:42 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can you put them in the deep freeze for a week or so before you give them to the kids? Would that work?
I was wondering about that. Guess it can't hurt to try!
Springdaze 06:19 AM 10-10-2011
How do you keep it off the floor? I dont use mine hardly at all because for instance with rice, once it is on the floor, its done! and it aint cheap!!!!!
and water, yea right!
SilverSabre25 06:26 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by chellenj:
How do you keep it off the floor? I dont use mine hardly at all because for instance with rice, once it is on the floor, its done! and it aint cheap!!!!!
and water, yea right!
Keeping it off the floor starts with strict rules about usage and a firm "One and you're done" policy--if it gets dropped out on purpose, they're done. It also takes reminding them of the rules each time I get the box out, before they see the box (so the attention is on my words not the box). It also takes being aware of each kid's abilities--I do have to sit RIGHT THERE with the youngest ones, perpetually reminding them to keep things in/over the box. Even with the older ones, when something bounces out accidentally (which is inevitable) I have them immediately retrieve it and put it back in. It's a process, but very worth it.

Water tub--I have several old bath towels I put under the box--it helps also that half my playroom is hard floor, not carpet. Drips are inevitable.

Rice...isn't very expensive? Get it in a 20 lb bag from Sam's and it's only about $10. Rice is cheap! Also, why wouldn't you put it back in the box after it gets dropped? We do that with little bits that bounce out, and the rare times a large amount gets spilled, I just sweep it up and toss it back in the box.
hoopinglady 07:19 AM 10-10-2011
a cement tub too. Plenty of ideas have been listed already.

For toddlers I use stuff like cotton balls, fabric scraps, feathers and ball pit balls (chunky type things)

We just did the flour and baby oil thing too. It's one of my favorites. I make it goopy though and less "doughy" haha.

I change it out every week or two depending on their interest level.

Plain water is always, always good.

I haven't decided for this week yet...I"ll just pull something out of the cabinet.

I think seasonal tubs are really clever and cute but I've only ever done that once. I'm not all that crafty.

I have a designated messy room so don't worry too much about little spills but throwing or dumping is not allowed.
Tags:scensory ideas, scensory table
Reply Up