Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Told DCF's I am Expecting
godiva83 01:43 PM 01-06-2012
Today I told all my daycare families I am expecting my 2nd child
I waited a little longer due to difficulties and fear of losing my baby, but now going into my 5th month I had to.
Some were happy others were extremely upset with me for waiting to tell them. I explained to them that there was and still is a very high chance of losing the baby so I didn't want to jump the gun.
I can't believe the lack of compassion or understanding some have! They are very 'me' driven.

Anyway, one was down right rude and as much as I like the $$ I am handing her her two week notice Monday. I just can't tolerate her rudeness over and over again.
How should I word the letter?
Due to inconsolable difference, lack of respect ...

Or am I over reacting here
kayla 01:52 PM 01-06-2012
I dont think your over reacting at all. I had similar issues telling parents just last month that i am expecting, and your right some people are so rude and only care about themselves!! I'm due may 10, but i had wanted to wait to tell parents because of some of my issues, some were angry i waited but to me i did the right thing.. No one knows anyones situation and its extremely rude for parents to feel entitled to anything.!!
godiva83 01:57 PM 01-06-2012
Thanks - I can't believe it
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 01-06-2012
Can I ask how she was so rude? Not that I don't think it is possible, I just don't see why anyone would be rude about someone else expecting...maybe she is having a bad day or something? How does YOU expecting another child affect her in any way?

Some people are just very "me, me, me, me" as you said.
GretasLittleFriends 02:19 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can I ask how she was so rude? Not that I don't think it is possible, I just don't see why anyone would be rude about someone else expecting...maybe she is having a bad day or something? How does YOU expecting another child affect her in any way?

Some people are just very "me, me, me, me" as you said.
Warning: These are NOT my views, just playing devil's advocate - so don't flame me!

It affects that daycare parent because this provider will have to close for a while while she gives birth and recovers. There may be a chance she has to close early if her issues force her to bed rest. Now this parent is going to have to find an alternative care situation for her child all because the provider is pregnant. And you know full well a parent doesn't want to have to try to find another place for Sally or Johnny temporarily, and she sure isn't going to pay a maternity leave/vacation pay while she is going to have to pay someone else to care for her child. Very selfish of this provider to get pregnant while running a business (in certain parents' eyes).
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Warning: These are NOT my views, just playing devil's advocate - so don't flame me!
It affects that daycare parent because this provider will have to close for a while while she gives birth and recovers. There may be a chance she has to close early if her issues force her to bed rest. Now this parent is going to have to find an alternative care situation for her child all because the provider is pregnant. And you know full well a parent doesn't want to have to try to find another place for Sally or Johnny temporarily, and she sure isn't going to pay a maternity leave/vacation pay while she is going to have to pay someone else to care for her child. Very selfish of this provider to get pregnant while running a business (in certain parents' eyes).
LOL! I am sooo NOT a flamer! ever. You are right though, I can see how a parent would think in those ways and I can see how it would affect a parent. I guess, I am so far past having babies of my own that I didn't think in that perspective.

I was also thinking how can good news be so bad...to anyone???
GretasLittleFriends 02:26 PM 01-06-2012
My personal views...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

When are you due?

Not knowing how the mother was rude to you makes a difference on how I'd react. If nothing else, I'd call her or talk to her Monday and express how you felt it rude. Or I'd give her a letter putting her on probation for lack of respect. I would also verify it does say somewhere in your contract that you can terminate for any reason, or for lack of respect. You may want to be careful that you are not labeled over emotional because you are pregnant.
godiva83 02:46 PM 01-06-2012
Thanks everyone.

I am actually entitled to a YEAR paid maternity benefits.
So I would be closing down shop for a year. In my contract it says I am obligated to give 2 week notice before closing they have about 5 months to find alternate care or go with the back up provider I arranged
bice99 02:51 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Thanks everyone.

I am actually entitled to a YEAR paid maternity benefits.
So I would be closing down shop for a year. In my contract it says I am obligated to give 2 week notice before closing they have about 5 months to find alternate care or go with the back up provider I arranged
How did you manage/word that?
kidkair 03:07 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
How did you manage/word that?
I'm guessing she lives in Canada where every woman gets a year off.

OP: congrats! I had a client who had a hard time with getting pregnant with her second but she wanted to let me know asap so I'd hold a spot. After she lost one after three months and telling me I knew why she tried waiting to tell me. I was heartbroken! I can't imagine how she felt! I would give the overly rude person notice and send her on her way. Just keep the letter simple:
Dear _____,

I am unable to care for your child as of (date). This letter is notice that your child's last day of care will be (date). Your final bill is $__ due on (date). Sincerely,
_____
Maddy'sMommy 03:11 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I'm guessing she lives in Canada where every woman gets a year off.
You have to pay unemployment insurance as a self-employed person to qualify though, they don't just hand you a year off. lol.
Ariana 04:06 PM 01-06-2012
Yep, people are soooo rude. I would word the letter as it not being a good fit for your daycare. See how she likes them apples?!!

And

CONGRATS!!!! Happy and Healthy 4 more months!!
godiva83 04:21 PM 01-06-2012
I do live in Ontario ) and if you pay into self employed EI you can receive Maternity leave lay from the government for 52 weeks
Tags:expecting, parent notification, pregnant
Reply Up