Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>state inspection..?
Mister Sir Husband 09:50 PM 11-12-2013
Ok, this is a small vent at best as I'm not sure if I'm upset or just amused. I've heard some stories and read a few on here about the state visiting and finding fault, or sometimes praising for a job well done. The problem I'm currently having is I actually WANT the state to visit me. I'm one inspection away from hopefully being licensed. I've Ieft a few voicemails over the past 45 days or so and talked to a couple people that did pick up.. and have yet to even get a return phone call as to when an appt can be made to come on out and get this done. Guess I will call again tomorrow.. leave my number... maybe go shopping or something..
Sugar Magnolia 03:50 AM 11-13-2013
Ugh! That just isn't cool. Have you tried a supervisor? There was another thread recently about licensing ignoring calls, she finally got a supervisor and resolved her issue quickly.
Email maybe? How frustrating! I hope you open soon!
AcornMama 04:26 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Ugh! That just isn't cool. Have you tried a supervisor? There was another thread recently about licensing ignoring calls, she finally got a supervisor and resolved her issue quickly.
Email maybe? How frustrating! I hope you open soon!
Yep, that was me. Contacting the supervisor did the trick for me.

However, when I was in OP's position, trying to get initially licensed, I had a lot of hassle from licensing because they were reorganizing consultants, and nobody could figure out who would be responsible for working with me. It was another case where I had to be the squeaky wheel. And I know the OP has been working on getting licensed for quite a while! That is so frustrating.

Be the squeaky wheel, as I was advised, and try to contact a supervisor. When I couldn't get any response from my consultant, I called the main state department office, and of course was told that only my consultant could help me. I explained that while of course I wasn't mad at her (the woman answering the phone) and I know she can only do so much, that I'm sure she understands how frustrating it can be for your job to depend on feedback from one particular individual, when that individual will not provide any feedback. I played the empathy card, and she was immediately helpful with providing the supervisor's information. And the supervisor was amazingly helpful as well.

Good luck!
permanentvacation 04:41 AM 11-13-2013
25 years ago, when I first got my license, I had done everything required of me. I kept calling the inspectors and begging them to come do the final inspection so I could get my license. It took about 2 months and a phone call from my husband(at the time) hollering at everyone in the building about me not being able to work until they did their inspection! I think they did the inspection just so he wouldn't call them again!

Here, they have an extreme amount of daycare providers that already have their licenses that the inspectors have to check on plus numerous people trying to get their first license. They just don't have enough employees (inspectors) to handle the high volume of daycare providers.
Mister Sir Husband 04:44 AM 11-13-2013
I was actually thinking of doing this... going for the supervisor. My only concern is that will my licensor now be in a bad mood because I went over his head and "told" on him. I'd hate for him to show up and flunk me for some small thing that would perhaps normally be fixable on the spot or something.
AcornMama 05:19 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I was actually thinking of doing this... going for the supervisor. My only concern is that will my licensor now be in a bad mood because I went over his head and "told" on him. I'd hate for him to show up and flunk me for some small thing that would perhaps normally be fixable on the spot or something.
That was my worry as well. FWIW, and I know every situation is different, but when the supervisor called me back (very quickly!), she said I did absolutely the right thing. That if I ever needed to reach my consultant and had not heard back from her within 48 hours, then I should contact the supervisor. Sooner if it were an emergency situation.

Unfortunately, pre-licensing, I don't know if that would be the case. But it's good to know going forward.
Heidi 06:26 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
So, when you call the supervisor, kiss a little butt. "Gosh, I know how busy you all are...I don't envy you that". Maybe something like "I've left several messages, but my licenser must be swamped, because I haven't heard back. I'm just calling to make sure I'm on still on the list".
Mister Sir Husband 09:50 AM 11-13-2013
Welp, my licensor called me this morning. Said he's been returning my calls for a month and even had his supervisor try a couple times. They kept getting busy signals. Finally this morning they double checked my paperwork, dialed again with the correct area code and guess wha... My phone rang. . We both kinda laughed about it and I'm going to be scheduled for next week.
Margarete 10:28 AM 11-13-2013
Yay! Glad it worked out... I guess you just needed to complain about it on here for something to finally happen,
Reply Up