Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Make More Doing Daycare Then Outside?
Unregistered 10:45 AM 12-11-2013
We did an apples to apples comparison yesterday and I wasn't a bit surprised to see that fiscally I make more doing home child care than I did working outside. After all, I ran the numbers before starting and I realized if we filled to a certain capacity this career could be very lucrative. However, when DH added in the vacation time, benefits, etc., even the shorter days I realized I'm really taking a loss. This is especially true because our insurance is changing and we will be paying astronomical premiums. I may need a part time job just to absorb the blow. That was never a consideration when my employer provided the health and dental. What about you ladies? Are you better off financially doing your home child care business than you were when you worked outside the home?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:50 AM 12-11-2013
yes and no. I made more money outside. But, I spent more also. Clothes, car, gas,childcare etc. And there are things that can't be measured monetarily. I got to raise (and homeschool) my kids. The love from the little ones some days is better than any monetary compensation. I once watched the little ones of someone battling cancer. If I hadn't been here, who would have gotten to love on her kidos when she couldn't.
I am much happier and content at home than I ever was working outside and that can't be measured by income.
melilley 10:53 AM 12-11-2013
Currently I am making a little more than when I worked outside of the home. If I was full, I would be making quite a bit more, but that's just taking what I would gross working 35-40 hours outside of the home (at my old job). Now I work around 50 or so hours so there goes that little bit more that I make kwim? I haven't done taxes or anything to see if I have an actual loss or anything. There's definitely so much more to owning your own business than just working for someone else and getting a pay check!

As far as insurance, I was on my dh's at my other job anyways so that doesn't affect anything financially.

As far as days off and vacations, my families pay me for those so that doesn't affect me either.

And I have a 1 yr. ds that I would have to pay dc for if I did work outside of the home so all in all I think that we are coming out a little ahead than if I were to work outside of the home. (I worked at a daycare before opening if that makes a difference)
Heidi 10:55 AM 12-11-2013
yes and no...

besides Mrs. S's considerations, I also consider the depreciation factor and all the things I buy for my home; heat, electricity, etc, that I can write-off. So, on paper I make way less than my other job, but the "net" is almost the same.

I work more hours, but those are the hours I'd be driving back-and-forth to work if I worked outside.

So, basically it's a wash to me.

We are fortunate, though; dh's employer offers health insurance. We pay a premium, but it's reasonable.
melilley 10:58 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
yes and no. I made more money outside. But, I spent more also. Clothes, car, gas,childcare etc. And there are things that can't be measured monetarily. I got to raise (and homeschool) my kids. The love from the little ones some days is better than any monetary compensation. I once watched the little ones of someone battling cancer. If I hadn't been here, who would have gotten to love on her kidos when she couldn't.
I am much happier and content at home than I ever was working outside and that can't be measured by income.
Being at home with your kids definitely outweighs anything monetary! Although, I do sometimes miss working with coworkers.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:

My happiness level is definitely not dependent solely on income.

The pros and cons of this job are different for everyone.

Some years I make more than I felt I put into this and other years I feel as though I hit the jackpot.

The perks for being a child care provider may not be the same as the perks you get from big businesses and all but they are definitely not comparable for me anyways.
Stepping 10:59 AM 12-11-2013
I make considerably less when you factor in health care, pension etc but its worth it as I didn't want to put my DS into daycare. Plus my stress levels are a lot lower as my boss isn't as demanding
cara041083 11:00 AM 12-11-2013
Yes and no. I was a store manager and made more money then I am making now. But I had to pay for gas, and daycare for 2 kids, lunch's and most of the time by the time I got home and settled I didn't feel like cooking so I ordered out. Now that I do daycare, I make alot less, but we have more money at the end of the month due to the fact that I now don't have to pay for the things mentioned above. Now once my kids are in school full time, then I will decide if I still want to do daycare, or go back to work.
butterfly 11:01 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
yes and no...

besides Mrs. S's considerations, I also consider the depreciation factor and all the things I buy for my home; heat, electricity, etc, that I can write-off. So, on paper I make way less than my other job, but the "net" is almost the same.

I work more hours, but those are the hours I'd be driving back-and-forth to work if I worked outside.

So, basically it's a wash to me.

We are fortunate, though; dh's employer offers health insurance. We pay a premium, but it's reasonable.

Annalee 11:14 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We did an apples to apples comparison yesterday and I wasn't a bit surprised to see that fiscally I make more doing home child care than I did working outside. After all, I ran the numbers before starting and I realized if we filled to a certain capacity this career could be very lucrative. However, when DH added in the vacation time, benefits, etc., even the shorter days I realized I'm really taking a loss. This is especially true because our insurance is changing and we will be paying astronomical premiums. I may need a part time job just to absorb the blow. That was never a consideration when my employer provided the health and dental. What about you ladies? Are you better off financially doing your home child care business than you were when you worked outside the home?
Not sure if I am better off in the things you mentioned, but am POSITIVE I am better as a person....I love being my own boss...I like being close to my own kiddos daily....I like the business aspect of my job/crunching numbers.....I like making a difference in the lives of children.....I like the challenge of meeting the needs of diversified learners....I like using emergent curriculum.....I like making my OWN choices for the most part without dictation from others....so I would have to say YES, THE DIVIDENDS I REAP FROM HOME CHILDCARE IS WORTH MORE THAN ANY JOB OUTSIDE THE HOME...FOR ME!!!!!
littleblossoms 11:17 AM 12-11-2013
I do make more doing daycare.
TwinKristi 11:21 AM 12-11-2013
I make more doing daycare than I did working outside the home but I have several children who would need after school care plus summers would be outrageous. I made $17/hr before I left to stay home back in 2005 and while I don't made that hourly NOW, I don't have daycare to pay for which would be over half my paycheck for my youngest alone. Add to that paying DC sick days I don't get paid for, the gas and wear & tear on my car, etc. and I wouldn't make anything! If I had more DC kids it would be a LOT more than I made working elsewhere.
GKJNIGMN 12:58 PM 12-11-2013
I make about the same currently but that is being open all the time. I have overnight kids, evening kids, weekend kids lol That is changing in January.

But, as others mentioned, I have 3 kids who I was paying hundred of dollars a week in daycare for so even when I lose some hours I will be fine.

I was incredibly unhappy with my management and the crazy hours and forced overtime I had to work. Plus I had to work holidays and things. Setting my own hours and making my own rules has made me so much happier and has been a huge benefit to my kids.
Play Care 01:00 PM 12-11-2013
I make a lot more doing DC. The last couple years I was in the mid-high 30's and this year I'll be over 40. The perks make it even more worthwhile (not paying for day care, having a professional wardrobe, gas, meals out, tax deductions, etc.)

At the risk of offending I will say that I could NEVER do this job without the fact DH has a very steady job with excellent health insurance. There is just too much of a "feast or famine" aspect to this business for me to be comfortable. And yes, I've planned for the "what if's" and know that should something happen I would get a job outside the home with bennies.
CedarCreek 01:08 PM 12-11-2013
No, I made more in my old job. I have thoroughly enjoyed being home with my son and having the other children here though. I will miss it and maybe I'll re-open one day.

spinnymarie 07:42 PM 12-12-2013
I made way more as a teacher. With potential, through experience and school, to make tons more than I am/will. Purely in take-home dollars.
What I make up for in emotional well-being is worth it - and I'm fortunate to have my husband's job provide the majority of our income and excellent health care.
daycarediva 04:09 AM 12-13-2013
I make almost twice what I made outside the home. Not even factoring in expenses like daycare, gas, vehicle wear and tear, clothing, etc. This year I will make about 65k. I also have perks like deductions that I did not get before.

I also LOVE being home, with my dh for lunch, with my own kids, not having to leave in a blizzard like this morning....
Maggie 04:20 AM 12-13-2013
Before I started doing daycare in 1995 I was making $8 an hour in a nursing home. I think at that time I was charging $65 a week for full time and I still made more money then when I was working outside the home. I could never go back to working for someone else ive been my own boss for way too long.
BumbleBee 04:31 AM 12-13-2013
Outside the home I was making $4000 more per year.

I will glady take a $4000 cut in pay for being my own boss and not having the stress of working in a hostile environment.
originalkat 05:35 AM 12-13-2013
I make 55K a year now which is a heck of a lot more than I could make outside of home especially considering all the deductions I get. Plus, I do not think I could go work for someone else and be happy. I LOVE being my own boss. I also homeschool our kids which is priceless to me. I feel so blessed to bring in a good income and be home with my family.
countrymom 06:00 AM 12-13-2013
I make less (I was a nurse) but its not the money that makes the job. Its the person. Everyone has mentioned everything I would write about the job. But if your looking at making a huge amount of money, then this isn't the job and I think thats what the question is implying.
AcornMama 06:57 AM 12-13-2013
I've been a stay-at-home mom for 18 years now, so I'm making more money than I have in 18 years!

Before that I was a teacher. Theoretically, if I could get my enrollment up, I think I'd come close to what teachers make here. I know I'd make what I made when I was teaching, but that was 20 years ago!

But I homeschool my kids, and my commitment to homeschooling them and being home with them is greater than my need to contribute to the family income. So this business is the most sensible way I could come up with to supplement my husband's income and still be at home with my kids.
crazydaycarelady 07:03 AM 12-13-2013
When I first started doing dc I didn't make much BUT I was home with my boys. Once they got to be over 6 and did not count in my limits anymore I started to make a pretty good living. I don't think it would be feasible though if my hubby did not have a job with benefits and a really good retirement.
MarinaVanessa 07:49 AM 12-13-2013
I get more money doing daycare than working outside. My mother also works a 40 hour workweek at $14 an hour and I still make more than she does, plus I get to stay home with my kids, and take my daughter to school and pick her up, work in a career that I enjoy and am less stressful altogether.

For me however we have always had my DH's health benefits which are pretty good since he works for the government. They're going to go up next year and we will lose some of the perks that we had before but we figured it out and if won't affect us as much as we thought it would. We just cut back on some unnecessary things.

Also I wasn't able to afford or have the time to go to school to get a degree before I did daycare and now I can. This year has been almost as low as my first year of doing daycare because of the addition of my infant son so now we have three children of our own that count towards my ratios which means I only have five daycare spots. I only have three filled at the moment because I let 2 go in July right before I gave birth but I subsidize my income with drop-ins when I feel like it until the new year (once my infant gets a little bigger) so that I can enjoy my baby since he will be my last one.

All in all the perks of doing daycare outweigh me having job elsewhere.
DaisyMamma 08:01 AM 12-13-2013
If I'm full I make more.

We are lucky and qualify for state health insurance and it doesn't cost us a penny.

I give myself other benefits such as paid vacations/holidays as well.

I'm not full and I am actually way below where my income needs to be, however I wouldn't consider being away from my kids and putting them in someone else's daycare or working at night.
sharlan 09:11 AM 12-13-2013
I made a lot more money 30 years ago when I quit my job to be a SAHM and provide daycare. 30 years later and I still don't make as much as I did then, nor do I have the benefits I did then.

BUT, I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. I was not meant to be a mother working outside the home. I spent all day worrying about my kids. I've posted here some of the horror stories that my kids were exposed to. I spent all night worrying about what I didn't accomplish at work. It was a lose/lose situation for me and for my kids.
Reply Up