Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Hiya From California!
MissKrys 02:46 AM 12-19-2013
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to starting my own home day care. Super excited, to say the least! I've been preparing this past year, getting toys and supplies together as I was able; working on my Parent Handbook and policies. I'm in California and went to orientation in October. We've been waiting on tax return money to finally get the process complete. Our goal is to get started, then when we can go large my husband will work full time with me.

I'm just curious...how long did it take some of you to get your license once you submitted your application? In what order did you do the required steps? (cpr training, TB testing, etc.)

So far we've done orientation, completed a TB test, and filled out the applications to get them ready to submit. We still have to take cpr, submit a background check, fingerprints, and I'm not sure what else. I hope the process can go quickly! Assuming we're able to get most things in January, is March a realistic start time to be fully licensed and open for business?
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 12-19-2013
Welcome to the forum!

I am not in California and all states seem to have their own way of doing things so I can't answer any of your questions but we do have several members on the board from Cali that I am sure can give you some input.
Michael 07:59 PM 12-19-2013
Welcome to the forum. I've upgraded your status.
MissKrys 08:47 PM 12-19-2013
Thanks guys! Looking forward to making friends and learning a lot here
kathiemarie 12:51 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by MissKrys:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to starting my own home day care. Super excited, to say the least! I've been preparing this past year, getting toys and supplies together as I was able; working on my Parent Handbook and policies. I'm in California and went to orientation in October. We've been waiting on tax return money to finally get the process complete. Our goal is to get started, then when we can go large my husband will work full time with me.

I'm just curious...how long did it take some of you to get your license once you submitted your application? In what order did you do the required steps? (cpr training, TB testing, etc.)

So far we've done orientation, completed a TB test, and filled out the applications to get them ready to submit. We still have to take cpr, submit a background check, fingerprints, and I'm not sure what else. I hope the process can go quickly! Assuming we're able to get most things in January, is March a realistic start time to be fully licensed and open for business?
It really depends on what part of the state you live in. My area it took me no time to get licensed but that was 15 years ago. This year some one in my DC association had to wait 4+ months to get every approved by the state.
MarinaVanessa 02:08 PM 12-20-2013
If you have everything in order and submitted by January then March is very possible. Possibly even sooner. Get your households fingerprints done and get your CPR done (make sure that its the right one, they are strict) and submit everything to your LOCAL licensing office (not to Sacramento, they just mail it to your LOCAL office anyway which ads time to your wait time) and you should get a call to schedule your walkthrough in 2-3 weeks. The walkthrough is usually scheduled the following week.

Have everything ready for your walkthrough like fire extinguisher, licensing forms posted, sharp objects and cleaners locked and inaccessible etc and safety gatdgets installed before the walkthrough and you should be fine.

I'm in CA, what part are you from? I'm in Ventura County :-)
daycare 03:08 PM 12-20-2013
No Cali here. welcome to the form

Its hard to say how long it could take. I think it all depends on your county and how backed up they are. I started my daycare in sourthern cali years ago in Orange County. It took them 3.5 months to get to me. BUT that was almost 11 years ago.

Now where I am, it took me about 1.5 months, about 6 years ago. One of my friends just got her license in the same city as me and it took her 5 months. I guess since I have started up here the County has done a lot of lay offs due to budget cuts and they are very short staffed.

I hope that things happen for you as you need them to! No stress, the start up is really easy.
Tags:california, getting ready for daycare, new daycare
Reply Up