Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What holidays are you closed for?
NightOwl 01:48 PM 05-26-2014
I griped about a mom inquiring if I was open this morning (Memorial Day) when I had given her 3 different notices. And some of you commented that you are open for this holiday. So now I'm wondering, when are you typically closed for holidays? Here's mine:
New year's day
Memorial day
Independence day
Labor day
Thanksgiving day & the day after
Christmas eve and day (sometimes the day after if its a Friday or attendance will be very low)
craftymissbeth 01:53 PM 05-26-2014
Basically whatever holidays I feel like I'd miss out on something if I were to stay open.

Good Friday - just because I needed an extra day off somewhere
Fourth of July
Thanksgiving & Black Friday
The whole week of Christmas

Those are the ones I am taking off this year... but just because I am taking a week+2 days off in October to go to Disney World and needed the extra money. All of my closed days are unpaid.
Luvnmykidz 02:03 PM 05-26-2014
The holidays I am closed for are as follows: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day,4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas. My reason for this is because I am a single parent with 3 kids and I run two shifts from 6 am-12 am. I try to spend days with my kids when they are out of school for holidays. I do have some clients that work on these days or would like care on these days (even though they are home with the spouse), so my policy states you may request care on a closed holiday two weeks in advance and pay a $30 holiday fee and I will be available. Most families that work the holidays get paid extra so I feel that I should as well.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 05-26-2014
New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Week of July 4th
Labor Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Black Friday
Week of Christmas

I also take days here and there as needed. Sometimes, it just a random day (usually a Friday) and other times it is for a specific reason but I always give a LOT of advance notice and try to schedule things so they affect the least amount of clients as possible.
Annalee 02:43 PM 05-26-2014
MLK Day
Presidents Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day & the Friday before
July 3 & 4
Week before Labor Day
School closes a day for the Fair in Sept/Oct and I close then as well
Thurs & Fri of Fall Break in Oct
Thanksgiving & Black Friday
Dec. 24 thru Jan 1

I float personal days to be used consecutive or separate, professional days, and unlimited emergency days.

It was hard when I started charging 52 weeks a year but I have a 10 and 12 year old and it is very nice to be home with them throughout the year! I explain how important my family is to me in the daycare interview...clients may not like it, but they know up front.
sharlan 02:55 PM 05-26-2014
Only the basics......

Jan 1st
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas and the day after
1/2 day New Year's Eve
llpa 04:55 PM 05-26-2014
Monday after Easter
Memorial day
Independence day
Labor day
Thanksgiving day & black Friday
December 24 thru Jan 1st
Patches 05:21 PM 05-26-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I griped about a mom inquiring if I was open this morning (Memorial Day) when I had given her 3 different notices. And some of you commented that you are open for this holiday. So now I'm wondering, when are you typically closed for holidays? Here's mine:
New year's day
Memorial day
Independence day
Labor day
Thanksgiving day & the day after
Christmas eve and day (sometimes the day after if its a Friday or attendance will be very low)
I take almost the same as you. I the July 5th off of its in a weekday.
NightOwl 06:00 PM 05-26-2014
Oh I close an hour early on Halloween also.
daycarediva 03:41 AM 05-27-2014
New Years Day
day before and Thanksgiving day
3 days of Christmas week (regardless of what they land on)
3-4 day weekend over 4th of July (it's my anniversary)
Good Friday
MotherNature 04:21 AM 05-27-2014
New Year's day
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas day

I also close at 430 on Halloween & 4th of July.
coolconfidentme 05:06 AM 05-27-2014
I charge extra if I'm open on a holiday. With that said I posted 3 weeks in advance, asking what the needs are for work/daycare. I got nothing but I'll let you know. NEVER again will I do that. I now will tell them what my needs are..., in advance, lol.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Oh I close an hour early on Halloween also.
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
New Year's day
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas day

I also close at 430 on Halloween & 4th of July.
If we were really smart, we would close the day AFTER Halloween to account for the "candy hangover"

I close on Halloween simply because I don't want to work on my birthday.
Crazy8 07:44 AM 05-27-2014
mine are the same as yours with the addition of new years eve.

I can't believe a parent would expect daycare to be open on Memorial Day! I understand some people have to work (my DH does) but I wouldn't expect my daycare to be open - ESPECIALLY if they sent home plenty of notices saying they weren't.

I sort of forgot the holiday was coming up so only wrote a note on the white board middle of last week and no one said a word - but I expect my parents to already be aware of the terms of their contract and holidays are listed in there!
Annalee 07:48 AM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
mine are the same as yours with the addition of new years eve.

I can't believe a parent would expect daycare to be open on Memorial Day! I understand some people have to work (my DH does) but I wouldn't expect my daycare to be open - ESPECIALLY if they sent home plenty of notices saying they weren't.

I sort of forgot the holiday was coming up so only wrote a note on the white board middle of last week and no one said a word - but I expect my parents to already be aware of the terms of their contract and holidays are listed in there!
I think parents would come 365 days a year if providers were open. when I first started and didn't know better I kept kids on Christmas eve...
TwinKristi 07:51 AM 05-27-2014
I'm closed on the major ones...

New Years Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Black Friday unpaid
Christmas Day
Day after Christmas unpaid
Second Home 09:02 AM 05-27-2014
I am closed on ;
new year's day
memorial day
fourth of july
labor day
thanksgiving day
christmas day

Many times I take a vacation during one of those holidays so they may not all be paid holidays.
Reply Up