Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Discouraged
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:32 AM 07-29-2014
Not burned out. Definitely a difference. I had a totally disheartening end to the day yesterday:

#1 4yo dcb had a little turd in his pocket. He has trouble doing his number 2 anywhere other than home sometimes, and he was trying to hold it. He tells dcm when she picks up, then comes to me. I scolded him lightly, dcm took him to the bathroom for clean-up, then comes out with only dirty looks for me. I think because I chose to let him know it was not okay instead of coddling. Come on. He's not a 2yo in potty training. He's 4. This is not the first time. No, it is not okay to run around with crap in your pants and not tell me about it.

#2 Other 4yo dcb's dcm tells me that she thinks maybe she will send him to "preschool" a couple days a week this year. I have done a full preschool curriculum with him once he turned 3. Very cute stuff. Very professional and educational. Something tangible for every day displayed on bulletin boards, previous weeks' stuff go home on Mondays. I bust my butt doing this part of daycare. There is nothing more I can do. I realize now no matter how much I do I will only be recognized for this in 1 of about every 6 dcfs.

Plus, I have 2 open spots that haven't filled yet. I talked with my wonderful husband last night, and he said he was disgusted overhearing potential clients when I interview. My rates are low. Because I have set hours and set policies the way I like it. Every time during interviews that I am asked to do special, I always say yes...with a fee. Earlier drop-off or later pick-up (I am open for a normal 10 hours)? Yes, for an extra $5 per day. Preschool for your extra special genius 2yo? Yes, for an extra $10 per week. And then they are appalled. He says they expect everything for nothing, and it is definitely getting worse. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel.

So we crunched some numbers, and I realized I would only need to watch 4 kids to make what I would probably make outside the home. I thought that was funny. And I still love the kids and my days with them. I'm just disgusted, not burned out.
Second Home 06:37 AM 07-29-2014
I go through times like this too . It is discouraging to do so much and care for kids and then be taken for granted or disrespected .
melilley 06:43 AM 07-29-2014
Awww big hug!
#2 is the exact reason that I do not offer preschool here. Most parents want their children in a formal preschool classroom and I feel that my efforts to do preschool would go unnoticed anyways. Plus it does cost extra and most do not want to pay.
I do do a light play based curriculum tjat consists of a weekly theme, letter, shape, and color of the week, that's geared towards infants/toddlers and that's it. I do integrate learning through our play, just not a "formal" preschool. I tell potential clients when I interview. Most of my parents like it this way.

This way there is no pressure to do a preschool curriculum and spend the money when parents don't appreciate it or leave anyways.

I also sat down and figured out how many kids I should have to be financially ok. I ended up taking so many full time and the rest part time or drop in. That way I'm not full everyday, but am still making enough. In fact, I make a little more with 2 p/t than 1 full time.
midaycare 07:53 AM 07-29-2014
Sorry about your day I run a preschool here but it is more to prep them for preschool/kindergarten. I figure kids will leave around that time anyway. I think a lot of it isn't necessarily the preschool you teach, but parents want kids to have more socialization and different experiences.
melilley 08:00 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Sorry about your day I run a preschool here but it is more to prep them for preschool/kindergarten. I figure kids will leave around that time anyway. I think a lot of it isn't necessarily the preschool you teach, but parents want kids to have more socialization and different experiences.
I wish it was that way in my area. Sure, they want their kids to come to socialize and have a different experience, but only until they are 3, sometimes 4, and then off they go to a "real" preschool. A lot of private preschools and home preschools around here either lose kids to our public preschool or are really low in numbers.

As for prepping kids to go to preschool, no offense to you at all, but I don't understand that.
Indianadaycare 08:05 AM 07-29-2014
I agree that preschool curriculum would not be appreciated in my home daycare, so I decided not to even offer it. I do do a craft for toddler 2x week, but that's it. I just have 3 dck and two are infants, so it's not an issue with dcp. I figure when they get to be around age 3, they will phase out and go into a more formal daycare/preschool where they can be prepped for K.
Have you considered phasing out your preschool curriculum? It seems that is a major source of fatigue/stress/not appreciated.
I'm sorry you had a discouraging day yesterday. Hope today is better for you! Hang in there!
midaycare 08:16 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I wish it was that way in my area. Sure, they want their kids to come to socialize and have a different experience, but only until they are 3, sometimes 4, and then off they go to a "real" preschool. A lot of private preschools and home preschools around here either lose kids to our public preschool or are really low in numbers.

As for prepping kids to go to preschool, no offense to you at all, but I don't understand that.
No offense taken. It's called smart marketing. We have one of the best school systems in the nation around here and there are families that move here specifically for the schools. They want their special snowflake to have the very best from day 1, and around here, that means a curriculum.

I offer parents the best of both worlds. The love and attention from a home daycare and also the opportunity to have play based learning and a curriculum - which all the centers around here have.

My friend also has a home daycare and does not offer a curriculum. She opened 1.5 years ago and has 1 part time child. She has never had more than 1 full time and 1 part time kid. And she is great!

I opened this year and opened full. I lost 3 full to e due to a sibling set moving and 1 that I termed. When word got out I was looking - I didn't advertise - I had 3 weeks of interviews to choose from. Now I have a waiting list.

It's just about knowing your market and audience.
melilley 08:28 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
No offense taken. It's called smart marketing. We have one of the best school systems in the nation around here and there are families that move here specifically for the schools. They want their special snowflake to have the very best from day 1, and around here, that means a curriculum.

I offer parents the best of both worlds. The love and attention from a home daycare and also the opportunity to have play based learning and a curriculum - which all the centers around here have.

My friend also has a home daycare and does not offer a curriculum. She opened 1.5 years ago and has 1 part time child. She has never had more than 1 full time and 1 part time kid. And she is great!

I opened this year and opened full. I lost 3 full to e due to a sibling set moving and 1 that I termed. When word got out I was looking - I didn't advertise - I had 3 weeks of interviews to choose from. Now I have a waiting list.

It's just about knowing your market and audience.
Makes sense, different areas, different expectations. I guess here our market is geared towards infant and toddlers and that's what I get most clients for, but around here they leave when it's time to go to preschool.

If you don't mind me asking, what curriculum do you use and do you like it?
I'm asking because I know you are going for a high star rating and I may do the same in the future. I use a thematic curriculum similar to the MSU Thematic curriculum and it counts for the stars program and I like doing it for my age group so far, but am wondering what else is worth it.
midaycare 10:15 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Makes sense, different areas, different expectations. I guess here our market is geared towards infant and toddlers and that's what I get most clients for, but around here they leave when it's time to go to preschool.

If you don't mind me asking, what curriculum do you use and do you like it?
I'm asking because I know you are going for a high star rating and I may do the same in the future. I use the MSU Thematic curriculum and it counts for the stars program and I like it for my age group so far, but am wondering what else is worth it.
I will PM you.
CraftyMom 10:37 AM 07-29-2014
Wait, so the first boy pooped and put it in his pocket?!
midaycare 10:54 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I was lost there too. Did that actually happen? Because gross!
MsLaura529 03:48 PM 07-29-2014
Sounds like a frustrating time.

On the preschool part, I am sure DCM appreciates all that you do, and instead needs DCB to have a bit more socialization? One of my DCG's will be going to 4 year old preschool next year because she needs to be more comfortable around larger groups. She does fine here, and we do letter, numbers, colors, etc (all of that "preschool" stuff parents like to see), but if she is in any bigger of a group of kids, she turns into a completely different child.
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:01 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Oh that is so funny! No, he just pooped a very little bit in his underwear. It was just an expression.
CraftyMom 01:31 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Oh that is so funny! No, he just pooped a very little bit in his underwear. It was just an expression.

SilverSabre25 01:33 PM 07-30-2014
fwiw I totally thought the same thing. I've never heard that expression before!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:03 AM 07-31-2014
Really? Maybe it's a Midwest thing. It's used in the sense when someone looks disgruntled, as in, "What's the matter? You got a turd in your pocket?" Think Larry the Cable Guy.
mom2many 07:17 AM 07-31-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
fwiw I totally thought the same thing. I've never heard that expression before!
I was right there with you too!

I have never heard that expression either & was thinking what?!?!?
Pooping and putting it in his pocket???? YIKES!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 07-31-2014
Really? Maybe it's a Midwest thing. It's used in the sense when someone looks disgruntled, as in, "What's the matter? You got a turd in your pocket?" Think Larry the Cable Guy.
LOL! I know MN is sometimes included in the "Midwest" description but I've never heard that expression either.

I also thought it was literal.
Reply Up