Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Unlicensed Home Child Care Providers Be Paid By The Parent's Government Programs?
Unregistered 12:41 PM 07-29-2014
Carefully and correctly providing care for low income families from my home is what I want to do. These kinds of parents don't have enough money to pay for most things themselves, so they get help from the government. Can an unlicensed child care provider be paid by the government?
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 07-29-2014
Depends on what state you are in.
Leigh 01:01 PM 07-29-2014
You should contact your local childcare services department to ask. In my state, an unlicensed provider may be paid, but they will be paid MUCH less than a licensed provider, and are allowed to care for the children of only one family.
bklsmum 01:19 PM 07-29-2014
In NH you can be as long as you are legally unlicensed which means 3 kids or less that are not your own. The unlicensed rate is lower though.
daycarediva 01:20 PM 07-29-2014
In my state it's called legally exempt I believe. You could care for two children only, and the pay is significantly less than what a registered provider makes. ( what they reimburse registered providers is less than my rate). I also have to wait weeks at a time, was just reimbursed for April. It also depends on the parents following through with pay stubs and other requirements.
Heidi 01:21 PM 07-29-2014
In WI...no

You must be certified (lower pay rate) or licensed, and you must participate in QRIS.
NightOwl 01:35 PM 07-29-2014
In alabama, no. You must be licensed for even one single child who is not related.
LysesKids 01:37 PM 07-29-2014
I could in IL ( 3 or less kids), had to be registered in IN and I can do it here in TN as legally license exempt, however as has been mentioned, much lower pay and trying to get parents to pay the difference seems like too much hassle
Kelly 02:26 PM 07-29-2014
In Illinois you can but it is not as much as it would be if I was licensed. I have one dcb whose mom gets the assistance. She pays me my regular weekly rate, when I get the check I credit it on her next payment.
Heidi 03:14 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Kelly:
In Illinois you can but it is not as much as it would be if I was licensed. I have one dcb whose mom gets the assistance. She pays me my regular weekly rate, when I get the check I credit it on her next payment.
At this point, this is the ONLY way I would take state assistance now. Too bad my competition won't stick to that.
LysesKids 03:59 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
At this point, this is the ONLY way I would take state assistance now. Too bad my competition won't stick to that.
. I hear that

I quit taking IL assistance; I lived there when the state stopped paying the providers... to bad, not sad; I was living in public housing and a registered provider, if the state didn't pay me, how was I to pay my rent. I moved within 18 months, and only then because I was lucky enough to get a small share from a trust
daycarediva 03:46 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Kelly:
This is the only way I will take it in the future as well. I termed an assistance family and still haven't been paid for May or June! Was JUST paid for April!
Second Home 05:30 AM 07-30-2014
In MD no , you can't .
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 07-30-2014
Legally unlicensed providers in MN can be paid via state assistance but the amount is ALOT less than it is for licensed providers and there are some stipulations such as being over 18 and not providing the care in the child's home and not being related to the child.
MOM OF 4 04:00 PM 08-02-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Carefully and correctly providing care for low income families from my home is what I want to do. These kinds of parents don't have enough money to pay for most things themselves, so they get help from the government. Can an unlicensed child care provider be paid by the government?
Where I live, the state will pay an "exempt provider" (much less!) for care of a child if from one family ONLY OR for any child in her own family if in the care of CPS and she is fostering, even if not "technically" a foster parent
Childminder 06:25 PM 08-02-2014
In Michigan you can receive State subsidy for children in the system if you are unlicensed in your home AND if the children are related.
Tags:daycare is not a charity, non-profit, subsidy
Reply Up