Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>THAT coworker
Unregistered 08:53 AM 08-28-2014
The one who grates on your last nerve, the one who knows absolutely everything about everything, the one who sees you doing something your way and immediately has to say why her way is better, the one who must always compare her methods to yours.

If you've been to Canada, well she's been to Canada and Alaska. If you've had training in such and such area, she's had it 3 more times than you and her instructor was better. If you come in wearing cute new scrubs, she comes in the next day with new scrubs that were twice as expensive as yours and bought 4 more sets.

Everything she says and does is better than what others say and do. She also thinks the parents are in love with her and value her over any others (including me). She's commented several times that if she ever left, most of the families would follow her. This is so far from the truth. When she's off or out of the room, the parents say things like, we aren't going anywhere for anybody! I guess someone told them what she said or maybe they overheard her. For all I know, she told them directly! She's so pompous, I could see her doing that.

THAT coworker is what I'm dealing with. We have to work together daily. There's just no way around it short of me quitting altogether. I love my job and the kids and their parents. But this woman makes me not want to go to work in the mornings.
Silly Songs 09:05 AM 08-28-2014
Your co worker has very low self esteem . I would feel sorry for her , but interrupt her when she starts bragging. Say things like " oh gosh , I think I better check supplies ." Anything to bring attention back on work . Please ignore her boasting, it's a way for her to pat herself on the back, obviously she doesn't get that from too many people .
Sugar Magnolia 09:58 AM 08-28-2014
Reminds me of the character on Saturday Night Live (played by Kristen Whigg) who was always interrupting and twirling her hair. "Yeah I've been to Australia..And Austria. And around the world on my jet. It's way better than yours"

Set your "ignore" button when you are with her.
Heidi 04:54 PM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Your co worker has very low self esteem . I would feel sorry for her , but interrupt her when she starts bragging. Say things like " oh gosh , I think I better check supplies ." Anything to bring attention back on work . Please ignore her boasting, it's a way for her to pat herself on the back, obviously she doesn't get that from too many people .

nannyde 07:10 PM 08-28-2014
Best thing to do is agree with her. She is the best at everything. You are so lucky to know her. She is wealthy. You are poor. She is smartest and you are humbled by her amazing intellect. The place would go down the tubes is it weren't for her. She should start her own daycare because the parents would flock to her.

She's trying to convince you she is all that so concede.

Now what?

Mister Sir Husband 07:54 PM 08-28-2014
Now if you personally have a hobby.. something your really good at.. say like rock climbing, or endurance running, poker, cake decorating,.. almost anything! Bring it up in conversation, and when she chimes in she's better at it than you, invite her along. Watch her sink like a stone.

Ok.. a bit childish I know, but I'm in one of those moods tonight.
Laurel 08:13 PM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Best thing to do is agree with her. She is the best at everything. You are so lucky to know her. She is wealthy. You are poor. She is smartest and you are humbled by her amazing intellect. The place would go down the tubes is it weren't for her. She should start her own daycare because the parents would flock to her.

She's trying to convince you she is all that so concede.

Now what?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not sure how long I could do it. It is worth a try though.

Laurel
AmyKidsCo 08:30 PM 08-28-2014
I wouldn't continue that kind of conversation. Either don't start a conversation where she can "one-up" you, or go ahead - expecting her to one-up you - and when she does, stop the conversation. She'll be happy she got the last word and if you go in expecting that behavior it won't bother you as much.

For those days that it DOES bother you (and we all have them) make it into a game - see how many times you can get her to one-up you in an hour. Keep score in your head and give her points for how good her stories are. You can set point value, but IMO anything that involves poop, vomit, or other bodily fluids should be worth bonus points.
KidGrind 03:41 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The one who grates on your last nerve, the one who knows absolutely everything about everything, the one who sees you doing something your way and immediately has to say why her way is better, the one who must always compare her methods to yours.

If you've been to Canada, well she's been to Canada and Alaska. If you've had training in such and such area, she's had it 3 more times than you and her instructor was better. If you come in wearing cute new scrubs, she comes in the next day with new scrubs that were twice as expensive as yours and bought 4 more sets.

Everything she says and does is better than what others say and do. She also thinks the parents are in love with her and value her over any others (including me). She's commented several times that if she ever left, most of the families would follow her. This is so far from the truth. When she's off or out of the room, the parents say things like, we aren't going anywhere for anybody! I guess someone told them what she said or maybe they overheard her. For all I know, she told them directly! She's so pompous, I could see her doing that.

THAT coworker is what I'm dealing with. We have to work together daily. There's just no way around it short of me quitting altogether. I love my job and the kids and their parents. But this woman makes me not want to go to work in the mornings.
I’ve worked with someone like her but it was a him.

My reply was, “That’s great Tom!”

“You’re so awesome Tom.”

“Well since your method is the best, show me again Tom.”

“Tom I love hearing how wonderful you are. Yet, your greatness doesn’t pay the bills.”

About six weeks in Tom got it. I was no longer privy to hearing about his greatness monologues. My other co-workers suffered but he was mum when I was around.
DaveA 03:58 AM 08-29-2014
I would tell the person No More & steer conversations back to work related. If they don't get the hint, keep conversations to a bare minimum.
Unregistered 04:17 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I would tell the person No More & steer conversations back to work related. If they don't get the hint, keep conversations to a bare minimum.
I've truely never seen anything like it. It's like she needs to toot her own horn constantly or needs to feel superior or something. Thanks so much for allowing me to vent and just get it out.
Reply Up