Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>End of daycare good-bye party
kcnjason 12:42 PM 08-28-2014
I am losing a few kids going off to kindergarten and I was wondering what other small daycares do when they have kids leave. I'm thinking about a little party of some sort, some little celebration of the time they spent with us, a little good-bye. Any good ideas?
LovetheSun 02:06 PM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
I am losing a few kids going off to kindergarten and I was wondering what other small daycares do when they have kids leave. I'm thinking about a little party of some sort, some little celebration of the time they spent with us, a little good-bye. Any good ideas?
I would definitely do one

Something simple like a "healthy" cake, ballon and music!
The little ones loves playing around with ballon for their birthdays, so easy but keep them busy for a while!

Also a card is nice for example with a hand print (painted) of his friends with their names written on it. I would also add a picture in the middle!
Luna 04:34 PM 08-28-2014
I have four going off to kindergarten, and one had his last day today so we had a parade around the block. They all made a sign that said "Off to School" and a crown, and they could wear anything they wanted out if the dress up box. They had some noisemakers too. If I had thought of it sooner, I would have gotten some balloons for them and we could have made some drums or something, but I just pulled it together at the last minute.
They loved it!
CraftyMom 06:18 PM 08-28-2014
How about a sundae party? I'm doing one as an end of summer party. Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt and they choose their toppings. I think I'll have one or two candy toppings to choose from in addition to pineapple, strawberries and blueberries.

I did this for my daughters bday last year instead of cake, the kids loved it! For them I had a variety of liquid toppings (caramel, chocolate syrup, etc) and some candies of course. Plus fruit and walnuts and whipped cream and sprinkles! Mmmm that was a yummy bday!
AmyKidsCo 08:35 PM 08-28-2014
Sundae parties are great! When I do one I provide 2-3 different kinds of ice cream, bowls, spoons, etc, and the families each bring 1-2 toppings. It's really cool to see what toppings they think of that I wouldn't have!
DaveA 03:55 AM 08-29-2014
Sundae parties are always a hit. Something along those lines would be great for the kids.
melilley 06:10 AM 08-29-2014
I have one dcg leaving for preschool and today is her last day.
We are making frozen yogurts dots, cookies, and homemade pizza-she got to pick the menu for today.

We were going to also have a water day, but it's chilly this morning going and we would have to do it in the morning.

I also bought her a little gift and we are going to make a card.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:11 AM 08-29-2014
We have a big end-of-year/graduation party each August, right before I take a week off. It's a potluck dinner party, starting at 4:30 when I close. All the families come and it's very fun. Over the years, these traditions have developed:

We do self-portraits, which are displayed gallery style for parents to see that night.

I run a slideshow of photos. When no one is "graduating," it's pictures from the last year. When someone graduates to kindergarten, it's pictures of all their years here. Everyone loves watching them grow from babies to kindergarteners!

We sing "I remember when you couldn't do that" by Bev Bos to the graduates. Each year, we re-write the lyrics to suit the child(ren) graduating.

I read a "diploma" I wrote to each graduate. It describes some of the things that particular child learned over their time here.

I give all the kids some little end-of-year gift, and the graduate(s) a bigger gift, connected in some way to what we're doing. (This year, all got a poetry book we read at naptime, and my daughter who'll be homeschooling got some new easy-reader books she'll use for kindergarten.)

I write a letter to all the families, summarizing all the things we did that year.
CraftyMom 10:17 AM 08-29-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
We have a big end-of-year/graduation party each August, right before I take a week off. It's a potluck dinner party, starting at 4:30 when I close. All the families come and it's very fun. Over the years, these traditions have developed:

We do self-portraits, which are displayed gallery style for parents to see that night.

I run a slideshow of photos. When no one is "graduating," it's pictures from the last year. When someone graduates to kindergarten, it's pictures of all their years here. Everyone loves watching them grow from babies to kindergarteners!

We sing "I remember when you couldn't do that" by Bev Bos to the graduates. Each year, we re-write the lyrics to suit the child(ren) graduating.

I read a "diploma" I wrote to each graduate. It describes some of the things that particular child learned over their time here.

I give all the kids some little end-of-year gift, and the graduate(s) a bigger gift, connected in some way to what we're doing. (This year, all got a poetry book we read at naptime, and my daughter who'll be homeschooling got some new easy-reader books she'll use for kindergarten.)

I write a letter to all the families, summarizing all the things we did that year.
That sounds like a lot of fun!
Sunchimes 11:21 AM 08-29-2014
My first daycare child, and the first to age out, left last week. Because she is part of the family now (way more than she should be-lesson learned), I splurged a bit. She lead the menus and activities all week. On the last day, I made her a cookie heart and let her skip nap.

I made her this for her going away present.
Attached: DSCF8939t.jpg (58.8 KB) DSCF8940t.jpg (53.0 KB) 
rosieteddy 07:00 AM 08-30-2014
I used to do more.Then it just made them sad.So I make them a crochet blanket (warm hug from Nana).They pick their colers and I work on it a little each day (free play time).I make them a photo book and choose a special book to go home.I always try to pick a lunch they like. I do love the yearly pot luck idea.
Reply Up