Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Sleep Experience For Providers
nannyde 07:21 PM 09-28-2014
Can I ask you ladies a layered question. Bear with me. I have a purpose for asking so specifically.

Can you tell me:

Of the infants (birth to nine months) at home:

1) what percentage of infants start daycare have exclusively slept in their own crib, playpen, or side car sleeper at home? This is for both naps and night.

2) what percentage of infants sleep in a swing at home for any sleep period?

3) what percentage of infants sleep on their backs with: no blankets, stuffed animals,

4) what percentage of infants are swaddled at home?

5) what percentage of infants come to you who sleep at home with the same characteristics that your stare require you to sleep them?

6) Do you do "sleep training" sharing with parents on what you are required to do?

7) What percentage of babies do the parents declare are co sleepers in their adult bed (not a sidecar bassinet)?

8) For those of you who do provide sleep state requirements for daycare, what percentage of parents immediately switch their child to the sleep standards you have if they are not already doing it at home?

9) What percentage of the breastfed infants you have sleep latched to the mother all or most of the night?
SignMeUp 07:33 PM 09-28-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can I ask you ladies a layered question. Bear with me. I have a purpose for asking so specifically.

Can you tell me:

1) what percentage of infants start daycare have exclusively slept in their own crib, playpen, or side car sleeper at home? This is for both naps and night. 0%

2) what percentage of infants sleep in a swing at home for any sleep period?
20%
3) what percentage of infants sleep on their backs with: no blankets, stuffed animals, 20%

4) what percentage of infants are swaddled at home? 75%

5) what percentage of infants come to you who sleep at home with the same characteristics that your stare require you to sleep them? 0%

6) Do you do "sleep training" sharing with parents on what you are required to do? YES

7) What percentage of babies do the parents declare are co sleepers in their adult bed (not a sidecar bassinet)? 90%

8) For those of you who do provide sleep state requirements for daycare, what percentage of parents immediately switch their child to the sleep standards you have if they are not already doing it at home?
Do it: 10% Say they do it: 90% (It all comes out over time)

9) What percentage of the breastfed infants you have sleep latched to the mother all or most of the night? 75%
These answers apply over the past five years.
BumbleBee 07:42 PM 09-28-2014

Can you tell me:

1) what percentage of infants start daycare have exclusively slept in their own crib, playpen, or side car sleeper at home? This is for both naps and night. 60%

2) what percentage of infants sleep in a swing at home for any sleep period? 40%

3) what percentage of infants sleep on their backs with: no blankets, stuffed animals, 20%

4) what percentage of infants are swaddled at home? 40%

5) what percentage of infants come to you who sleep at home with the same characteristics that your stare require you to sleep them? 20%

6) Do you do "sleep training" sharing with parents on what you are required to do? Yes in a separate hand out during the interview

7) What percentage of babies do the parents declare are co sleepers in their adult bed (not a sidecar bassinet)? 40%

8) For those of you who do provide sleep state requirements for daycare, what percentage of parents immediately switch their child to the sleep standards you have if they are not already doing it at home? 0% The one parent I had that followed the state sleep requirements was informed of them, via handout by me, prior to their child being born. They used the state sleep standards from the beginning. I put 0% because they didn't switch the child to them, they simply used them from birth

9) What percentage of the breastfed infants you have sleep latched to the mother all or most of the night? 20%
Hope that helps. I answered in blue.
cheerfuldom 09:12 PM 09-28-2014

Can you tell me:

1) what percentage of infants start daycare have exclusively slept in their own crib, playpen, or side car sleeper at home? This is for both naps and night. 20%

2) what percentage of infants sleep in a swing at home for any sleep period? 50%

3) what percentage of infants sleep on their backs with: no blankets, stuffed animals, 30%

4) what percentage of infants are swaddled at home? 50%

5) what percentage of infants come to you who sleep at home with the same characteristics that your stare require you to sleep them? 10%

6) Do you do "sleep training" sharing with parents on what you are required to do? I am not required because I am legally unlicensed. To be be honest, I dont even try to share sleep training with parents. If a child can sleep here in a safe way, that is what I can work with. If parents ask for help, I always help. But I dont offer any help unless I know they are doing something unsafe as some parents are not receptive to help from the provider.

7) What percentage of babies do the parents declare are co sleepers in their adult bed (not a sidecar bassinet)? 50%

9) What percentage of the breastfed infants you have sleep latched to the mother all or most of the night?
50%

***Sleep has been the one major trial of taking care of daycare kids. In my experience (7 years), the vast majority, maybe 80% are not sleeping well at all at home or are sleeping in a way that cant be replicated at daycare. Exhausted, unscheduled kids are the biggest issue with my daycare.
Heidi 10:24 AM 09-29-2014
In the last 3 years I restarted daycare:

Baby 1 I enrolled at 11 months. He slept fine in pnp from day 1. Youngest of 4 children.

Babies 2 and 3 were twins. Started at 9 months. No issues with sleeping in pnp.

Baby 4 was 4 months. Not sure what they did at home, and since she was not a newborn, I just put her to bed as required. On back, one blanket corners tucked, pacifier. I think she fussed a lot at first, but caught on quickly. She was only here a couple months.

Baby 5 was 11 months, and screamed to high-heaven at the sight of a bed of any sort. She was very part time, and after trying a gentle approach, I ended up using CIO and she did ok. She was also only here a few months until mom became and SAHM.

Baby 6 (started at 6 weeks) and 7 (started at 12 weeks) are both still here and almost 2. Both got the brochures and "the talk", and both parents followed that. There MAY have been some carseat or swing sleeping at home very early on with #7, but by the time he came to daycare, he was safe sleeping.

Baby #8 (started at 6 weeks). Got the speech and the brochure. I was there at his birth, and the hospital sent him home with a swaddler. He used that (allowed here) until he was about 4 months old, at which time he could roll over and we ditched it.

Baby #9 started at 9 months, had been with an unregulated provider, and slept in a swing () there for naps. Crib at home, according to mom. She is just now, after 4 months, sleeping well most days.

Baby #10 will start in November. Mom got a BIG speech, and brochures. We shall see!
hope 10:43 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
These answers apply over the past five years.
1 out of 10 has slept in a crib at home before 9 months. Almost all have stated that they do sleep in a crib at home but only one out of 10 has slept on their back, separately in a room to themselves, in a crib here for me when they started so I can only assume the parents are not being honest with me. It takes me about two months to get an infant to sleep by state regulations with out crying and screaming. I have always shared the state regulations and multiple articles on infant sleep issues and have never heard a parent change their practices at home. I have had one bf baby sleep latched to mom through the night. The rest I believe in swings, car seats or maybe Co sleep in bed. Wish I could give you more accurate numbers but it is difficult to get honest answers from parents.
Shell 10:53 AM 09-29-2014

Can you tell me:

1) what percentage of infants start daycare have exclusively slept in their own crib, playpen, or side car sleeper at home? This is for both naps and night. 40%

2) what percentage of infants sleep in a swing at home for any sleep period? 70%

3) what percentage of infants sleep on their backs with: no blankets, stuffed animals, 50%

4) what percentage of infants are swaddled at home? 100%

5) what percentage of infants come to you who sleep at home with the same characteristics that your stare require you to sleep them? 50%

6) Do you do "sleep training" sharing with parents on what you are required to do? yes

7) What percentage of babies do the parents declare are co sleepers in their adult bed (not a sidecar bassinet)? 85% Almost every parent taken eventually moves the child to their bed for convenience, saying they are just too tired to get up and that the baby sleeps better in their bed. Then, about six months later, they are asking for advice on moving the child back to the crib.

8) For those of you who do provide sleep state requirements for daycare, what percentage of parents immediately switch their child to the sleep standards you have if they are not already doing it at home? 0%

100%

These are my best estimates, but like pp said, it's hard to know what really goes on at home. Most infants I get are breastfed/bottle fed on demand, held/rocked to sleep, and have a very difficult time with sleeping as per state requirements.
Reply Up