Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eater Problem
PolkaTots 10:32 AM 05-05-2015
I don't believe I've ever had such a large group of picky eaters in all of my years of providing child care. I am at my wits end with how much food I am wasting, and looking for suggestions to get these kiddos to eat. The only 2 main items I can get the crew to eat is chicken nuggets and pizza. Clearly I can not serve these all the time, anything else seems to have a 50-75% consumption rate at best. Most of the kids will not eat any kind of pasta/casserole/noodle or sandwiches/food in a bun. Today we did soft tacos, and 3 children wouldn't even try them. We do breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack here. I participate in the food program and do not offer an alternate meal unless there is a food allergy. I am just at a loss and hate tossing out so much food at lunch, and then these kiddos complaining of being hungry and asking for more than one snack. I actually tried sending home a sheet for parents to offer meal suggestions for this month to help...so far it's not much help
Unregistered 10:41 AM 05-05-2015
Can you give them half of a meal and then offer the other half when they are done?
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:48 AM 05-05-2015
Lots of kids don't want to eat "mixed" foods, like casseroles or enchiladas. I have 2 solutions:

1. Serve EVERYTHING separate. Like the tacos today, give them all the components separate on the plate, even the tortilla. They can put it together if they want, or not.

2. I believe for the food program, the food only needs to be offered. Set their empty plates in front of them, and bring the food out to them to serve, asking if they want this or that. Then it isn't wasted. I would not offer second helpings of high fat or high carb foods to the child that refused to eat healthier options. I would keep offering the healthier foods until meal time is over.

Black Cat has great thoughts on this. Take the stress out of it. When it comes to food, give kids 2 choices. Eat it, or don't. Don't sweat it if they choose don't. They will not starve, and if you continue to calmly offer healthy options, they actually WILL eventually eat your meals when they realize that those will be the only options: eat it, or don't.
melilley 10:49 AM 05-05-2015
I try to pay attention to what they will and won't eat and make sure to give the minimum required amount to the kids that do not eat a certain food. If I make something that I know most of the kids won't eat, I just make a smaller portion (well, depending on what it is, I usually eat with them and am a pig....lol)

I also ordered a lot of free items from the USDA and one of the items was a roll of stickers that say "Make Today a Try Day" and have a Dinosaur on them and I tell the kids if they try one bite of something, they get a sticker. It really works most of the time! My son would not eat corn. I told him if he tried a bite, he could have a sticker..and he did, in fact he had 3 servings! My kids don't really know what the stickers say, they just love to wear them so you could use any....lol
ColorfulSunburst 11:54 AM 05-05-2015
what is different to you between spending money for food that children will eat and for food that children will refuse to eat? In the both ways you spend same amount of money.
I always give to children small amount of food then give extra to children who ask about it. Leftover that was not touched by anyone I use for dinner of late picked up kids (I work till 7pm).
jenboo 12:39 PM 05-05-2015
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
what is different to you between spending money for food that children will eat and for food that children will refuse to eat? In the both ways you spend same amount of money.
I always give to children small amount of food then give extra to children who ask about it. Leftover that was not touched by anyone I use for dinner of late picked up kids (I work till 7pm).

Reply Up