Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone do cloth? Hold a spot wording?
kitykids3 07:15 AM 10-21-2015
Anyone here do cloth diapers for their families? I do but as I have been doing it I am finding that it takes a tad extra time and extra pressure on my back (because it takes longer to snap all the little snaps instead of just velcroing a disposable diaper). I'm thinking of making some cloth diaper 'policies' such as providing wet bag, having disposables here also, cloth diapers must be velcro, charging an extra weekly "convenience fee" of like $10. What do you think? How would you word this to work it into current contract without looking like I'm pinpointing the only person doing it?

Also, I have had people over the years want to hold spots, especially for babies, but I have never had a contract or a policy on this. Can someone help me with wording for the policy and contract portion? Thank you!
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
Anyone hear do cloth diapers for their families? I do but as I have been doing it I am finding that it takes a tad extra time and extra pressure on my back (because it takes longer to snap all the little snaps instead of just velcroing a disposable diaper). I'm thinking of making some cloth diaper 'policies' such as providing wet bag, having disposables here also, cloth diapers must be velcro, charging an extra weekly "convenience fee" of like $10. What do you think?

Also, I have had people over the years want to hold spots, especially for babies, but I have never had a contract or a policy on this. Can someone help me with wording for the policy and contract portion? Thank you!
I have several cloth diapering families. It can be a PITA sometimes but I still prefer cloth over disposables. I do require all cloth diapering families to have a supply of disposables here for those just in case moments.

I've also noticed the toll it takes on my back as well but I just chalked that up to age and the fact that ALL diapering in my program takes place on the floor anyways whether disposable or cloth so bending down or being on the floor is sort of unavoidable for me. (kids in diapers now days are ALOT bigger than in past years so a changing table is NOT an option for me)

As for holding spots...I don't. Period.

My handbook says:

"Spaces are reserved by payment only and can not be 'held' or 'reserved' without payment in full. Rates are based on enrollment not on attendance so this policy applies to all children including those not yet born or age eligible to attend."
childcaremom 07:41 AM 10-21-2015
I prefer cloth and am open to it. I do request a zippered wet bag. I don't see anything wrong with requesting certain things that make it easier for you. Velcro, certain amount here each day, supply of disposables for emergencies, etc. I have actually contemplated a disposal fee for disposables as our garbage amounts are limited. Wish I could send those home with parents, too.

I hold spots but I know the way I do it is not the preferred method here so will let someone else give you better wording.
nannyde 09:21 AM 10-21-2015
Yes. I charge $2.50 per day.
Heidi 11:35 AM 10-21-2015
I've never charged extra for cloth. I just don't think it's that big a deal myself.

For holding a spot, they sign the contract and put down a deposit (non-refundable) for one or two weeks tuition (two for newborns, those spots are primo). That deposit applies to their last week (or two's) care. They also pay in advance on Mondays mornings once they start.
kitykids3 01:18 PM 10-21-2015
For some it may not be a big deal, but I have issues with my lower back and I'm about to have a second child in cloth. Even for those without back problems, there may be others who would like some help wording some policies on it, plus we all could use a little extra help protecting our backs in this field of work.
For holding spots, I am only going to do it if they pay the full weekly amount until start date. Otherwise I don't do it.
I was looking for wording for the two things. I know what I want, but I've never been that great at wording things, so I was asking for some examples. I think I have a tendency to be too 'cold/business like' when i'm not meaning too, including written word and I don't know how to write these things into my current contracts. Thanks!
nannyde 01:27 PM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I've never charged extra for cloth. I just don't think it's that big a deal myself.

For holding a spot, they sign the contract and put down a deposit (non-refundable) for one or two weeks tuition (two for newborns, those spots are primo). That deposit applies to their last week (or two's) care. They also pay in advance on Mondays mornings once they start.
I agree it is not a big deal. It's REALLY easy work. In my setting it takes an additional 15 minutes per day than paper diapers on average to manage. The $2.50 is to cover staff time for that.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:53 AM 10-22-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
For some it may not be a big deal, but I have issues with my lower back and I'm about to have a second child in cloth. Even for those without back problems, there may be others who would like some help wording some policies on it, plus we all could use a little extra help protecting our backs in this field of work.
For holding spots, I am only going to do it if they pay the full weekly amount until start date. Otherwise I don't do it.
I was looking for wording for the two things. I know what I want, but I've never been that great at wording things, so I was asking for some examples. I think I have a tendency to be too 'cold/business like' when i'm not meaning too, including written word and I don't know how to write these things into my current contracts. Thanks!
As of XX date, a fee of $xx will be applied weekly for use of cloth diapers. I will also need a supply of disposable diapers left here for back ups. A wet bag and sufficient amount of diapers must be supplied daily. No refunds will be given if you choose to switch between disposable and cloth diapers through the week.

In order to hold a spot for future childcare, full payment of $xx is due each week in order to secure the spot and a contract must be signed. If you fail to make payment or meet the terms of the agreement, the contract will be terminated and no refunds will be given. I must be given at least two weeks notice of your intended start date.

Not sure if that helps, but something similar with the specifics you want to include may work. And it is okay to sound business/cold in your contract. Mine sounds tough, but when people meet me, they are surprised I am so nice and have a soft voice But, the point of the contract is to be clear and concise and leave them with a "don't mess with me" attittude
Reply Up