Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Approach This?
childcaremom 10:39 AM 11-24-2015
Nap time issues, again, lol. Different dcg though.

She is 18 mos. Was napping/resting ok up until 3 weeks ago. Would sleep 1-2 hrs and rest quietly if up early. Not a great sleeper but she would rest QUIETLY.

Was sick and missed 1.5 weeks of care (combined with weekend and holiday). Now will not sleepp longer than 45 mins and cries and cries and cries. I can change a bum, reassure her, leave her, nothing matters.

Dcps have suggested it is teeth or nightmares. Which it could be. But for almost a month?

Ideas?
childcaremom 10:57 AM 11-24-2015
I should add that they don't seem to think it's a big deal. She's a 'little stinker' etc. I agree. It stinks.

Would you do anything differently when she wakes?

I've moved her away from the group so she's only disrupting me, lol.

After my other nap nightmare, I'm a little apprehensive about chatting with parents. More concerned with looking at what I am doing here. I did expect a slide back after her being sick but thought we'd have gotten out of it by now. (she uses soother at home, here she doesn't any longer - over 2 months now)

Also, she's sort of come out of her shell in this time period, too. She's always been quiet and reserved and she's really started talking to me, trying to engage me, get my attention, jumps into my arms at dropoff, etc. So, just a stage? (please tell me it's just a stage, lol)
Gemma 11:05 AM 11-24-2015
I've had this kind of setback before! I just continued doing things as usual, moving the child to a different room if I had to, things will eventually go back to normal.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 11-24-2015
IME, the clue was "she got sick"

Parents seem to throw everything they've learned about routine and consistency out the window when their child gets sick.

I understand but as a provider it sucks.

Ask mom how DCG is sleeping at home (where, how etc) and if she is waking at home what is DCM/DCD doing about it?

I'd share with mom/dad the issues and reiterate the importance of routine and consistency. Depending on the family, it might not hurt to mention you just termed a kid due to nap issues.. might send the message that they HAVE to fix it (if they, the parents) broke it.
childcaremom 01:40 PM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Depending on the family, it might not hurt to mention you just termed a kid due to nap issues.. might send the message that they HAVE to fix it (if they, the parents) broke it.
Those are the conversations I have in my head.

Dcm says that she isn't sleeping well at home, either. They are just leaving her. Which means she is overtired so probably having a hard time here because of that.

So hopefully just a phase that ends soon!
Play Care 04:00 PM 11-24-2015
I'm going to sound like a meanie here, but I'm on a roll today so here goes

I'd put the child away from the others, blacked out room, fan for white noise and I'd go in *once* with a firm "shhhh! Night night! Friends are sleeping! Night night!" And then when nap time was over I'd go in with a cheerful "good afternoon, it's wake up time!" I wouldn't be changing diapers that don't need changing or rocking or anything.

This is *not* an infant who may need a bottle, this is a toddler who is now starting a bad habit.
Ariana 04:07 PM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I'd put the child away from the others, blacked out room, fan for white noise and I'd go in *once* with a firm "shhhh! Night night! Friends are sleeping! Night night!" And then when nap time was over I'd go in with a cheerful "good afternoon, it's wake up time!" I wouldn't be changing diapers that don't need changing or rocking or anything.

This is *not* an infant who may need a bottle, this is a toddler who is now starting a bad habit.
This is what I do as well. I have to get rid of a bad habit with one little girl every Monday after spending the weekend with her parents. Usually by Wednesday she is back to normal. I have to do what is best for me and the kids in my care.

At around 18 months some kids start resisting naps as well which is why many parents end up dropping them way too early. Stick it out and she will go back to normal. Absolutely nothing wrong with having quiet time and it is her choice to cry that whole time.
childcaremom 05:43 PM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Add me to the meanie list because this is what I have been doing with her. I've moved her from the group and she is sleeping solo in a room all to herself. This week I've been doing the sniff test from the door and not even going in unless she needs a change.
Ariana 08:27 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

Add me to the meanie list because this is what I have been doing with her. I've moved her from the group and she is sleeping solo in a room all to herself. This week I've been doing the sniff test from the door and not even going in unless she needs a change.
I had to do this too! My DCG is a real wailer
Tags:nap issues
Reply Up