Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Must Be Crazy
Thriftylady 11:29 AM 12-01-2015
So I have an interview tomorrow. And I need the money so I am considering it if everything with the family checks out. But it is a kindergartner after school from 4 PM until 2:30 AM. This is on top of my other two families (five kiddos all SA except one 3 yr old who I pick up at preschool at 11:30 who rides bus with siblings in morning). So my other kids are all here from 6Am until school and then after school until 8PM. This one would go to bed when they leave. Am I crazy to even consider it? The money would be a huge blessing right now, otherwise I wouldn't even think about it. The other thing is that dad lives 3 blocks from me so I was wondering if I should ask if he can just leave her here until later in the morning (say 6 or 7 when the others are coming in and getting ready) so that I wouldn't have to break up my night's sleep. And yes, I can sleep when kiddos are here. I know many of you just wouldn't do this. And in a huge way I don't want to. But I am at the "you just gotta do what you just gotta do point" and like I said, this little bit more income would make such a huge difference for us right now. So any advice?
Ariana 11:37 AM 12-01-2015
Yeah I am not sure why they would pick her up at 2:30am. It's bad for you and the child. I would agree that having her sleep over the whole night would make much more sense. They likely don't want to pay any extra $$ which might be why they didn't suggest it.

Poor kid doesn't get much time with her parents
Baby Beluga 11:38 AM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So I have an interview tomorrow. And I need the money so I am considering it if everything with the family checks out. But it is a kindergartner after school from 4 PM until 2:30 AM. This is on top of my other two families (five kiddos all SA except one 3 yr old who I pick up at preschool at 11:30 who rides bus with siblings in morning). So my other kids are all here from 6Am until school and then after school until 8PM. This one would go to bed when they leave. Am I crazy to even consider it? The money would be a huge blessing right now, otherwise I wouldn't even think about it. The other thing is that dad lives 3 blocks from me so I was wondering if I should ask if he can just leave her here until later in the morning (say 6 or 7 when the others are coming in and getting ready) so that I wouldn't have to break up my night's sleep. And yes, I can sleep when kiddos are here. I know many of you just wouldn't do this. And in a huge way I don't want to. But I am at the "you just gotta do what you just gotta do point" and like I said, this little bit more income would make such a huge difference for us right now. So any advice?
My initial thought was given your situation I would do it but ask for pick-ups to be in the morning.

Is the child in full day or half day K? If it is half day is it afternoon K? I ask because if the child is in full day K and comes to you at 4:00pm then stays until 6/7:00am, he may as well be living with you
midaycare 12:03 PM 12-01-2015
If you need the money, yes, I would do it. Will it stink? Yes. But I would make a budget and fiigure out how long you need to do it for OR what else you can do.

More kids when you are already open? Maybe a weekend job part time? Maybe DH can pick up a few hours? Combination?
Thriftylady 12:23 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
If you need the money, yes, I would do it. Will it stink? Yes. But I would make a budget and fiigure out how long you need to do it for OR what else you can do.

More kids when you are already open? Maybe a weekend job part time? Maybe DH can pick up a few hours? Combination?
DH being a truck driver can't do much more. And I can't really get a weekend job, because two of my kiddos are here some weekends. I really don't like my daycare schedule right now, but the calls are so few and far between, I blame the small town.

Dad is a single dad, and he gets a subsidy that he uses on the weekends in another town. Problem is school transportation and grandparents have been doing it, but grandma wants to go back to work. And no, she can't be getting much time with dad as kindy is full day here. He is fine with not using his subsidy, because no providers in our little town take it, and he needs someone in town. I am thinking of just asking if he can pick up between 6 and 7 if I offer the spot, without an extra charge because my sleep is important to my sanity.
Pepperth 02:43 PM 12-01-2015
In your position, I'd probably do it. How many days a week? Definitely ask about the later pickup though. You seem to be filling a need in your community for parents with difficult schedules.
Thriftylady 03:15 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
In your position, I'd probably do it. How many days a week? Definitely ask about the later pickup though. You seem to be filling a need in your community for parents with difficult schedules.
This one will be Mon-Friday. He has subsidized care for weekends in the next town, but the school transport is an issue. It is 12 miles away, our busses don't go there of course and naturally providers even if they transport only want to do the closest schools. There is a need for the odd hours here, and most of my business comes from that. I am just trying to be sure I get enough rest and such.
e.j. 03:31 PM 12-01-2015
Dad is a single dad, and he gets a subsidy that he uses on the weekends in another town. Problem is school transportation and grandparents have been doing it, but grandma wants to go back to work. And no, she can't be getting much time with dad as kindy is full day here. He is fine with not using his subsidy, because no providers in our little town take it, and he needs someone in town. I am thinking of just asking if he can pick up between 6 and 7 if I offer the spot, without an extra charge because my sleep is important to my sanity.
Sounds as though this arrangement could be a blessing to both of you. As much as I'd hate to have to do it, I would if I had to for financial reasons. I give you tons of credit, though. It probably won't be easy!
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:14 PM 12-01-2015
If I had kids until the girl's bedtime anyway, I'd actually want to do it as long as she didn't get picked up until the time that I open Getting paid while she sleeps, and I still get my needed sleep I'd definitely consider it. My husband won't allow overnight childcare because he's afraid of any allegations someone could bring against us just by simply lying since now days people seem to be very lawsuit crazy. But since your husband isn't home very often, you shouldn't have to worry about that
Thriftylady 07:17 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
If I had kids until the girl's bedtime anyway, I'd actually want to do it as long as she didn't get picked up until the time that I open Getting paid while she sleeps, and I still get my needed sleep I'd definitely consider it. My husband won't allow overnight childcare because he's afraid of any allegations someone could bring against us just by simply lying since now days people seem to be very lawsuit crazy. But since your husband isn't home very often, you shouldn't have to worry about that
Yeah my hubby has always had the same fears, especially when we had foster kids. He wouldn't let me leave the girls home alone with him. I think a deciding factor in the spot is going to be pick up time. My big issue with this is disrupted sleep. I just don't deal with that well at this point in my life.
rosieteddy 06:49 AM 12-02-2015
Dad is probably going to want to leave the child and ask you to send him to school.What are the Dads actual work hours?If you do keep him I would add for breakfast and morning care to the tuition.At the very least an extra 40 dollars. Otherwise ask him to pick up at 5 am before breakfast.
Thriftylady 07:02 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Dad is probably going to want to leave the child and ask you to send him to school.What are the Dads actual work hours?If you do keep him I would add for breakfast and morning care to the tuition.At the very least an extra 40 dollars. Otherwise ask him to pick up at 5 am before breakfast.
He has to be at work at 2:30 PM and figures he would be here for pick up after drive time around 2=2:30 AM. I am going to ask for a 6 AM pick up. Some days I am up at 5 AM but most days my kids come at 6 AM.
daycarediva 10:38 AM 12-02-2015
When does dad work? The kid is getting off the bus at your house at 4pm and staying until 2:30am (or 6). M-F (pick up Saturday morning? or am I not understanding this at all? AND the child has weekend care?!?

That's a ROUGH schedule for a child. Poor kiddo.
Thriftylady 11:45 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
When does dad work? The kid is getting off the bus at your house at 4pm and staying until 2:30am (or 6). M-F (pick up Saturday morning? or am I not understanding this at all? AND the child has weekend care?!?

That's a ROUGH schedule for a child. Poor kiddo.
Dad works second shift, 3:30 until 2 am. He doesn't work every weekend, but I guess just got off a deal with required overtime where he was required to work 12 hour days for 14 days straight. It is sad, but the job situation is so bleak around here that companies are really seeming to take advantage. There for a few years, you couldn't even get a part time fast food job, because they were filled with adults who had no other prospects. Now the fast food places are desperate, but many of the full time jobs those people are taking are still not great jobs. It truly is people just doing what they have to do.

I have offered a spot for this child. The thing I don't like is that dad wants to do the pick up when he gets off work rather than a little later. I am going to try it out because we really do need the money and he seems like someone I can work with. I feel for this girl already. Mom is in another state and they are looking for her for child support she doesn't see her child. I didn't get to meet the child yet, I am hoping she isn't going to be a tough one given the situation. I really wish I didn't need the money so darn bad, but alas like everyone else around here I gotta do what I gotta do.
Thriftylady 12:51 PM 12-08-2015
Maybe I dodged a bullet. He came by last week and paid the enrollment fee and got the papers. Two days ago he came and got the contract (I needed to fill it in), so today he texts me and says after looking over the contract he decided to et grandma continue to keep her. He had said he wanted to get away from holding grandma down so much. So I don't know. But I can't help but think that if he didn't want to use me over the contract that I don't want to do it anyway. I am not that upset about it though. I could use the money, but it was going to be a headache.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:28 PM 12-08-2015
Has she been in daycare before? I can't imagine why the contract would scare him away, since I figure you just have the standard stuff on there that any daycare would have. Pay regardless of attendance, late fees, two week termination, paid holidays, etc?
I agree that you probably didn't want them anyway if he had problems with the contract. I hope you are able to fill your spots soon though
rosieteddy 06:56 AM 12-09-2015
I think you definitely dodged a bullet here.That poor child would surely be stressed out. Something better will come along.
Thriftylady 07:02 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Has she been in daycare before? I can't imagine why the contract would scare him away, since I figure you just have the standard stuff on there that any daycare would have. Pay regardless of attendance, late fees, two week termination, paid holidays, etc?
I agree that you probably didn't want them anyway if he had problems with the contract. I hope you are able to fill your spots soon though
She is in daycare now in another town but mostly on weekends when he works now. She was there full time before he changed jobs. But grandma has her many nights because of school and of course they won't transport her 12 miles. That daycare is growing into a center, and the lady takes her home from work to her home when she is there at night. But it is state paid, so he doesn't pay for it. I think the contract scared him because he was going to have to pay. My contract is basic, I used Tom Copeland's as a template and made some minor changes. I even put on it that for this year during his two week plant shutdown later this month he didn't have to pay for the spot, since he was new and I needed to fill the spot. But I did put on there it was a one time only thing and he had to pay for all absences after that.
Thriftylady 10:47 AM 12-09-2015
I got a call today for an interview tonight. Mom kept me on the phone for almost 2 hours she seems to love me. She doesn't have a job yet, has an interview tomorrow she thinks she will get. It sounds like it may work well. And, it is daytime hours!
e.j. 11:32 AM 12-09-2015
I got a call today for an interview tonight. Mom kept me on the phone for almost 2 hours she seems to love me. She doesn't have a job yet, has an interview tomorrow she thinks she will get. It sounds like it may work well. And, it is daytime hours!
Just proves the old adage that when one door closes, another opens! Hopefully, it'll work out for you. Daytime hours sound much better than overnights!
Thriftylady 11:48 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Just proves the old adage that when one door closes, another opens! Hopefully, it'll work out for you. Daytime hours sound much better than overnights!
Yeah I don't mind the overnights but getting up at 2:30 AM was not in my list of things I wanted to do.
Tags:after hours care, overnight care
Reply Up