Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dog Doors?
DaveA 06:00 AM 10-02-2019
Getting really tired of letting the dogs in/out constantly. I may put in a dog door in the sunroom.

Anybody have a dog door?
What type do you have & do you like it?
Were there anything in your regs about it? I couldn't find anything in IL's when I took a quick look.

Thanks
Snowmom 06:14 AM 10-02-2019
We had installed one in our previous home.
It was an all in one storm door with attached doggie door. We got it at Home Depot and it was fairly inexpensive for an entire door.

It's still a little inconvenient this way though, since you'd still need to leave one door open to have access to the storm door. But it locked.
hwichlaz 06:34 AM 10-02-2019
I'm in California. I had one until very recently, but my dogs are so tiny that it was more of a cat flap. As long as it doesn't open up to an off-limits area you shouldn't have a problem. Or if it's in a room that's off-limits.

Mine did open up into a part of the yard that the kids weren't allowed in, but it was in my bedroom patio door, and the kids weren't allowed in my bedroom either. I'd drop the dogs over the baby gate into my room when they were irritating me or needed a break, and then they had access to the outside without my help.
jenboo 06:37 AM 10-02-2019
We used to have one installed in the wall which is my favorite option. It was just the cheapest one we could find on Amazon and it worked great!
Now we have a slidding door insert one and its obnoxious. The door doesn't seal well with it in so it's super drafty, the slidding door can't lock so we have to use a stick. The dogs b line through it when they see a squirrel and I swear it's going to shatter one day.

In the future I plan on getting a new slidding door that has the built in dog door.
hwichlaz 06:40 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
We used to have one installed in the wall which is my favorite option. It was just the cheapest one we could find on Amazon and it worked great!
Now we have a slidding door insert one and its obnoxious. The door doesn't seal well with it in so it's super drafty, the slidding door can't lock so we have to use a stick. The dogs b line through it when they see a squirrel and I swear it's going to shatter one day.

In the future I plan on getting a new slidding door that has the built in dog door.
You can transfer the latch for your slider, to the doggy door insert. and add a strip of mohair from the hardware store for the draft.
littlefriends 09:16 AM 10-02-2019
I have one but it’s for my Boston terrier so it’s on the smaller side. It goes out to a separately fenced area in the backyard. I’m actually not sure about official rules for it but my licensor has never asked about it or mentioned it. It’s near my dining table in the back door. It has a lock on it so I can lock her in or out depending on what I need.
DaveA 09:48 AM 10-02-2019
Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Snowmom:
We had installed one in our previous home.
It was an all in one storm door with attached doggie door. We got it at Home Depot and it was fairly inexpensive for an entire door.

It's still a little inconvenient this way though, since you'd still need to leave one door open to have access to the storm door. But it locked.
Ill have to look that up. Our sunroom door is basically a glorified storm door.
daycarediva 10:16 AM 10-02-2019
The storm door one drove me nuts, so dh cut a hole in our wall and made a nice one with both a closing seal and a plastic flap. It's got an barn door style 'gate' that slides in out/locks. It's in our dining room and goes to our deck.

We also have big dogs, so it's fairly large. My 11 year old can crawl through it easily.
jenboo 10:46 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
You can transfer the latch for your slider, to the doggy door insert. and add a strip of mohair from the hardware store for the draft.
They don't line up right to latch and it doesn't fit on the insert.

We do have some kind of weather stripping but it doesnt do much.

Our slider is original from the 70s. I can't wait to replace it someday.
DaveA 11:18 AM 10-14-2019
Put one in over the weekend. Working on getting dogs used to pushing through the flap, but they'll use it if it's taped up out of the way.
Kimskiddos 01:37 PM 10-14-2019
My husband installed our doggy dog in the wall near the back door and I really love having it!

With that said we have a boston terrier and he is fast and would come blasting through the door at full speed. Just not safe for anyone and very annoying to boot. Hubs then built a "doghouse" that matched the other wooden cabinet we have and put it in front of the dog door with the opening on the side nearest the wall. So now he has to slow down make a turn step into the DH/cabinet to enter. Added bonus it completely camouflages the dog door!
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 10-14-2019
I would love to have one but we have way too many raccoons, squirrels, and possums, who are not afraid of us, to be able to have one. They often hang out on our deck, by the door I would have to use.
DaveA 05:26 AM 10-15-2019
It took Nemo a day to get used to the door. Now he just blast through it. If the flap's down Dory just sets by the door and whines. Nemo just looks at her like "Are you kidding me? Get out here!"
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
It took Nemo a day to get used to the door. Now he just blast through it. If the flap's down Dory just sets by the door and whines. Nemo just looks at her like "Are you kidding me? Get out here!"
Haha! We have a cat door and a male and female cat.
The female does the same thing. Make cat runs in/out while female will sit by the door and wait for someone to open the door for her. She can and has used the cat door but I'm pretty sure she feels it's not meant for her.

She's royalty and deserves to be let in and out; at her discretion of course
flying_babyb 05:34 PM 10-17-2019
ah the dog door! we had one at the first daycare I worked at (it was a home daycare and I was n assistant). Was really aswome for the dog, and the toddlers who frequently crawled out them.
Tags:dog door
Reply Up