Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh Diarrhea!
MN Mom 06:48 AM 05-23-2012
So...my almost 3yo DCB had a huge diarrhea blow-out this morning not 5 min after mom left. I had laid him in the Pack n' Play versus my normal laying him on the couch (thank goodness). It was all over EVERYTHING! I cleaned it up and sent mom a text stating one more and he has to go home. Well,he had another, dripping out of his diaper, more watery than the first, and 10X more stinky. I just now called mom and she tried to blame it on teething......

UGH.
SunshineMama 07:09 AM 05-23-2012
A 3 year old! Diaharrea from teething!?!

Is she nuts?
JustAMom 07:15 AM 05-23-2012
LOL. That's hilarious! Does this 3-year-old not already have all his teeth for some reason?
MN Mom 07:21 AM 05-23-2012
I told her I can't have him here with the other kids as I don't want them sick. She was supposed to be coming for him, as she works a mile down the road. Still not here yet. And yes, his mouth looks to be full of teeth, I can't see anywhere for him to be getting more. He's had 2 more bouts of diarrhea since I called her. I'm not gonna be happy if my other kiddos get this.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 05-23-2012
Doesn't matter if it is from teething, eating something or just because he feels like having diarrhea....he HAS it. PERIOD.

He needs to go home and stay home until has has not had it for a full 24 hours.

Whenever, a parents tells me their child has something because of "something" I just say "Oh, ok...well they still need to go home and not return until ______". and leave it at that.

I don't argue or try to convince them of anything different as my only concern is that they don't have the symptoms while at my house.

Never concern yourself with the "WHY" of it (when it comes to diarrhea, puking, fevers etc) and pretty soon the parents will stop trying to give you excuses and reasons if they carry no weight and still need to go home.
momma2girls 08:43 AM 05-23-2012
I would make her come and pick up the child immediately!!!!!
momma2girls 08:51 AM 05-23-2012
The child probably had it at home more than likely. What are the odds of it happening one time, like 5 min. after Mom had left for the day.
MN Mom 08:57 AM 05-23-2012
She did end up coming for him about 10 min after my last post. He most likely had it at home too, since she was very quick to blame it on teething. However he is not teething, and I don't buy that excuse even if they are in the teething stage. I don't do puke, and I don't do diarrhea when I have other kids in care. If it were just this boy and me, honestly I probably would have just dealt with it and washed my hands more frequently...but because it's a group care situation, and I don't have the time to keep cleaning him up while caring for others it was homeward bound for him!

After he left, I only had a 3 and 4 year old...so we went to Target to pick out some pretties for my daughters concert on Thursday. THAT was a NIGHTMARE I won't make the mistake of doing again, LOL!
SunshineMama 08:58 AM 05-23-2012
Did she get him yet?
B Lou 10:09 AM 05-23-2012
Did no one else catch that this child is 3 years old and still in diapers? That might explain why mom thought the diarrhea was teething.
Unregistered 10:16 AM 05-23-2012
Thank goodness he IS still wearing diapers! I have a dcm who blames everything on teething...with her FOUR year old! Seriously?? I'm glad she came finally to get the poor kid...and I hope you don't get it or the other kids...
MN Mom 10:33 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by B Lou:
Did no one else catch that this child is 3 years old and still in diapers? That might explain why mom thought the diarrhea was teething.
Still in diapers and on a bottle (at home only). They treat him like a baby. If he has tantrum fits at home (I've witnessed this) he gets a big bottle of chocolate milk and a dvd to watch.

He's a very good boy for me here though! He's my easiest kid to be honest. I love him to bits :-)
skittles 10:44 AM 05-23-2012
Just delt with this one yesterday. I had a mom show up with her baby who puked on the way over here. She did clean him up and headed home. Then my two year old in care had one blow out in the afternoon. I always keep them if they don't have any other symptoms unless they have more than one episode. Come to find out it was his second one, mom stated he had one prior to daycare. Anyways the baby's mom said she called the doctor who said that some kids will just puke for nothing. She said he was fine all day yesterday and he will be ok to return to daycare today. I'm closing my daycare soon anyways so I don't really care what the parents do anymore. I am so burnt out! It seems like the more you do for parents the more they treat you awful, Parenting had changed the last five years and so has being a provider. You can put your foot down all you want and say no sick kids in care regardless of the reason but you will still have people lie about it. People can only take care of themselves not their kids. It's a self centered generation of parents out there! I have seen parents bring their kids to care sick and try to go home or shopping in the past!
momma2girls 11:03 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by skittles:
Just delt with this one yesterday. I had a mom show up with her baby who puked on the way over here. She did clean him up and headed home. Then my two year old in care had one blow out in the afternoon. I always keep them if they don't have any other symptoms unless they have more than one episode. Come to find out it was his second one, mom stated he had one prior to daycare. Anyways the baby's mom said she called the doctor who said that some kids will just puke for nothing. She said he was fine all day yesterday and he will be ok to return to daycare today. I'm closing my daycare soon anyways so I don't really care what the parents do anymore. I am so burnt out! It seems like the more you do for parents the more they treat you awful, Parenting had changed the last five years and so has being a provider. You can put your foot down all you want and say no sick kids in care regardless of the reason but you will still have people lie about it. People can only take care of themselves not their kids. It's a self centered generation of parents out there! I have seen parents bring their kids to care sick and try to go home or shopping in the past!
I totally feel the same way. It has really changed in the last 5 yrs. I totally agree!!! I am really fed up with some families as well!!!
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
Still in diapers and on a bottle (at home only). They treat him like a baby. If he has tantrum fits at home (I've witnessed this) he gets a big bottle of chocolate milk and a dvd to watch.

He's a very good boy for me here though! He's my easiest kid to be honest. I love him to bits :-)
well that might explain the diarrhea! Wow! that is crazy....I was just complaining to my DH the other day about a dcg I have who is just shy of 2 and her mom still gives her a bottle (although she hasn't had one here since she was under 12 months).
momma2girls 08:03 AM 05-24-2012
I had a daycare interview with 2 different families. One was a little girl who was 2 1/2 and still got a bottle at naptime, for her to go to sleep.
The other family had a 3 1/2 yr. old boy and he still had a paci at naptime-and had to be in a quiet room with no toys, and no other children and dark.
I told them both they wouldn't be good fits here at my daycare.
There were other things as well, that the parents told me about, that pretty much made my decision.
Tags:diarrhea and teething, infectious teething
Reply Up