Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do??
My Lil' Monkeys 06:55 AM 06-25-2012
What do you do if your fridge dies during daycare hrs? I went to make breakfast and my brand new gallon of milk is barely cold... I bought 2 cans of ice teas and the outside is a tiny cold but the tea is warm...ugh!!! I've managed to get what was in my fridge in a cooler with lots of ice.

I have 2 daycare kids...one on formula (which I make bottles) and one that needs milk. Of course and I have a 3 month old that unless the baby is being held is UNHAPPY and crys! Doesn't like the swing or bouncy seat because that's not in my arms.

So, what would you do? Manage? I've already did breakfast.. I'm sure I could manage lunch..but I guess is that legally allowed? (I'm licensed) I mean everything in the cooler will be very cold. Or do I close? (which I can't afford to do)

I hate Mondays!!!
Country Kids 06:58 AM 06-25-2012
Make sure you keep everything on ice but I would either have it fixed today or get a new one. I think you would be fine for one day but anything past that probably not.
safechner 07:06 AM 06-25-2012
What will I do, I will put a lot of foods and drinks in the cold ice box for a day to get my fridge fixed or get a new one.

I do have two fridges, one in my kitchen and another one is in garage. If it happens anything like that then I will throw in other fridge just in case if my fridge is not working or something like that. I would buy an extra for just in case.
My Lil' Monkeys 07:12 AM 06-25-2012
Yes, everything is in the cooler right now and is filled with ice. We are looking into a new fridge right now. I wish this stuff would happen on the weekends

Oh, and I wish we could have another fridge but we seriously don't have the space for another. We have no garage

I just wanted to make sure that I was allowed to stay open and run care as I don't want to get in trouble with the state
Country Kids 07:18 AM 06-25-2012
My fridge actually went out one year on New Years Eve!!! We had like one hour to find something- Upside to it was we had one last big deduction for the taxes-
Countrygal 08:03 AM 06-25-2012
One thing I would do that noone has mentioned - I'd throw everything - including milk - that is freezable into the freezer. You can always thaw it in the microwave. Anything that is frozen is allowable.

Also, a lot of things in the fridge actually don't need to be in there - things like peanut butter, vinegar, etc.

For things that can't go in the freezer and MUST be kept cool - I'd do what everyone else suggested IF they were not warm for long. Some things - like mayo or salad dressings that contain mayo and meat (even lunch meats) - I would toss. If they have warmed up for even an hour, they may not be acceptable or safe. Getting sick from restaurants has always been a pet peeve of mine because I've worked in food service a lot, and I know that the reason most people get sick is from lunch meat, meat, veggies that have sat out too long at improper temps. Personally, I would not take a chance. It's not worth the consequences. I'd toss anything at all that could spoil in an hour or two. If the stuff in your refrig is warm, it means your fridge has been out for quite a few hours, like overnight at least. Temps in there have not been good for hours. "IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!!!"

Sorry, I know it's a royal PITA, but not nearly as bad as the consequences of someone getting sick, IMO.
Countrygal 08:07 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
My fridge actually went out one year on New Years Eve!!! We had like one hour to find something- Upside to it was we had one last big deduction for the taxes-
At least it takes all that nasty decision-making away. You know, trying to find "just the right fridge at just the right price" That part always drives me nuts! If you only have a few hours to get a new one, it takes all that nonsense away!!!
My Lil' Monkeys 08:49 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
One thing I would do that noone has mentioned - I'd throw everything - including milk - that is freezable into the freezer. You can always thaw it in the microwave. Anything that is frozen is allowable.

Also, a lot of things in the fridge actually don't need to be in there - things like peanut butter, vinegar, etc.

For things that can't go in the freezer and MUST be kept cool - I'd do what everyone else suggested IF they were not warm for long. Some things - like mayo or salad dressings that contain mayo and meat (even lunch meats) - I would toss. If they have warmed up for even an hour, they may not be acceptable or safe. Getting sick from restaurants has always been a pet peeve of mine because I've worked in food service a lot, and I know that the reason most people get sick is from lunch meat, meat, veggies that have sat out too long at improper temps. Personally, I would not take a chance. It's not worth the consequences. I'd toss anything at all that could spoil in an hour or two. If the stuff in your refrig is warm, it means your fridge has been out for quite a few hours, like overnight at least. Temps in there have not been good for hours. "IF IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!!!"

Sorry, I know it's a royal PITA, but not nearly as bad as the consequences of someone getting sick, IMO.
I threw a ton out... I was not taking any chances!!! I threw what I could in my freezer (thank goodness is still working!!) and then put a stuff in a cooler with ice. Seems to be working
MizzCheryl 09:27 AM 06-25-2012
This has happened to me. I had to manage a few days as it took a while to get it fixed. Once when I was single my fridge was messed up and kept freezing up. I was broke so I had to thaw it out every day during nap (with a hair dryer) till I got the money to get it fixed. I just had got it fixed this last time and my food lady showed up. She said as long as I was getting it fixed it was ok. Another time she showed up and my pump had went out on my well. I never close for tghings like this. We just call it an adventure and manage. I had to operate 2 days with no water. Sometime the power has gone out but we manage that as well. Hope you can get it fixed soon. I throw my mikl and stuff in the freezer too. Luckily I have a chest freezer.
MizzCheryl 09:32 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Ours went out on Christmas eve about 4 years ago. The fridge I have now has broken on me 6 or more times. Its one of those side by sides. Finally the last time the man came and replaced the same part he had replaced 6 months ago. It was broke again the next day. My sweet hubby finally got online and learned some. He replaced about 3 major parts including a circut board tha last guy had patched. It has worked fine for a pretty good while. Hope that will be the end of fridge problems for a while.
My Lil' Monkeys 10:48 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
This has happened to me. I had to manage a few days as it took a while to get it fixed. Once when I was single my fridge was messed up and kept freezing up. I was broke so I had to thaw it out every day during nap (with a hair dryer) till I got the money to get it fixed. I just had got it fixed this last time and my food lady showed up. She said as long as I was getting it fixed it was ok. Another time she showed up and my pump had went out on my well. I never close for tghings like this. We just call it an adventure and manage. I had to operate 2 days with no water. Sometime the power has gone out but we manage that as well. Hope you can get it fixed soon. I throw my mikl and stuff in the freezer too. Luckily I have a chest freezer.
In the state I live in it's against my licensing rules and reg to run daycare without power and running water. My license lady would be upset if she came to visit and we didn't have power and I was still running daycare. Plus, when we have a power outage we lose running water as I'm on well water...so that means "One Precious Flush" (no flushing the potty )

But I live in a different state and I have to be licensed where I live (not saying you don't have to be licensed either but I don't know your states rules and reg)
jojosmommy 11:14 AM 06-25-2012
This happened to us 2x in april. We figured out my little one was not shutting the drawer and it was holding open the door a little bit. We called an appliance company and they put in a device that monitored what was happening inside. It connected to a computer and thus they could tell us there was actually nothing wrong with it. Saved us a TON of money. If the freezer is still running its likely you can fix the fridge part with a low cost part.

And we tossed out a lot of food but put necessities on ice. If you licensor or fp lady came I would suspect they would be human and understand this isnt a long term fix but an emergency.
JenNJ 02:53 PM 06-25-2012
I would toss everything to be safe.

This is why I have a large pantry stash though. I could easily go days without a fridge, lol. PB & J, tuna fish, pasta and sauce, etc. I always keep a few cans of powdered milk on hand just in case.
Childminder 05:22 PM 06-25-2012
My freezer went out one time (well actually ExH unplugged it to do some electrical and forgot to plug it back in) and anything that didn't have ice crystals on it was in jeopardy. I called everybody I knew and threw an impromptu party and cooked up everything I could. Friends and family still talk about the feast and how much fun it was and it is many years later. Some was cooked and refrozen, like ground beef, stuff for stew and casseroles, etc...
Tags:appliances, food - storage
Reply Up