Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>If You Plan Your Own Curriculum
Movingforward 03:14 PM 06-11-2016
If you plan your own curriculum, when and how do you go about it.
Blackcat31 04:12 PM 06-11-2016
Originally Posted by Movingforward:
If you plan your own curriculum, when and how do you go about it.
I fly by the seat of my pants...

The kids and I talk during circle time (a.m. snack time) daily and I gather ideas from their current interests or topics of conversation then I plan topics and themes based around stuff they want to know and learn and create a curriculum plan for the next week.

Once I gather and decide on a theme and/or topic, I take a blank weekly lesson plan and basically fill in the blanks for an activity for each of the domains required by FCCRS/QRIS.

Every group of kids is different and different as a whole as they age so no curriculum is the same from year to year.
Thriftylady 06:14 PM 06-11-2016
I fly by the seat of my pants a lot also. I have finished a monthly list of themes and such and am loosely following them, but they are more of a guide for me than anything. Then I search online for stuff to fit in the themes.
Josiegirl 01:13 PM 06-12-2016
What are the ages you're all creating curriculum for and will you be doing this all through out the summer? Just curious.
I have a hard time thinking of things all the dcks can and want to do. Plus, for the summer we're(hopefully) going to be outside a lot. I may get more into it when September rolls around.
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 06-12-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What are the ages you're all creating curriculum for and will you be doing this all through out the summer? Just curious.
I have a hard time thinking of things all the dcks can and want to do. Plus, for the summer we're(hopefully) going to be outside a lot. I may get more into it when September rolls around.
I have:
15 months,
20 months,
2yrs (3 of them)
3 yrs (3 of them)
4 yrs old (4 of them)
5 yrs old (2 of them)

Summer time is almost 100% free play with some fun structured activities tossed in when they fit but mostly all free play.

During the school year, we have a more structured curriculum that has intentional input/outcomes to meet QRIS requirements. Activities are split into age groups....infant toddler lesson plans and preschool lesson plans with each age group having specific domains that need to be covered.
Thriftylady 01:59 PM 06-12-2016
I have all SA right now. But I do have structured themes all year round. I am hoping to get more preschool aged kids this fall, and will be advertising heavily for it, because I have put a lot of work into preK lesson plans.
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up