Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Someone Help Me Get the Guts!!
Persephone 08:15 AM 02-01-2010
Okay, my one family was late on payment again this week. I've been letting her pay on Fridays after care is done.

Well she sends her boyfriend to pick up and then OH he doesn't have the money. I told him that I needed the money that night or I would have to charge my late fee and I'd hate for her to have to pay for something like that. And he said he understood.

I then texted her and said that I needed the money by 8:30 that night (that was when my last kid was leaving for the day) or I would have to charge $10 per day.

Fastward to Sunday morning...still no payment so I called her and she said she was sick in the bathroom all weekend and her older boy had her phone so she just got my message that morning. But she would try to run the money over.

2 hours later she called and said the money was in my box. But I had put a new contract in the box for her to sign (I didn't tell her that because I thought of it after I got off the phone with her, but there was a letter on the top that said her name on it and there was no way to miss it in my box.)

She said she didn't drop it off she had someone else do it for her. So I'm redoing the letter on the contract to her.

I need to guts to tell her that she owes me the late fee! I really don't want to make her made and leave, but at the same time I don't want her walking all over me.

I don't charge her that much and I pick up her son at the school at 11:00. So I know she won't find someone else to do it for this price. But she'll just do it herself and kept him at home while she sleeps during the day, which I know she shouldn't be doing, but she will.

Should I let it slide as her warning that I'm going to do it next time? Please help!!
gbcc 08:48 AM 02-01-2010
From my experience, if you let it slide, payments will be later and later by the week. If you are not confrontational maybe just handing her an invoice will be less intimidating. I would give her one today that says something like

Weekly Fee $XX
Late Fee $XX ($Xper day times X days)

Total Amt $XX
Amt. paid $XX

Amount Due $XX

If not paid on Friday demand the money with her wkly payment or care would be suspended.
Persephone 08:59 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
From my experience, if you let it slide, payments will be later and later by the week. If you are not confrontational maybe just handing her an invoice will be less intimidating. I would give her one today that says something like

Weekly Fee $XX
Late Fee $XX ($Xper day times X days)

Total Amt $XX
Amt. paid $XX

Amount Due $XX

If not paid on Friday demand the money with her wkly payment or care would be suspended.
Well I have until tomorrow to figure it out now. I went to pick up her son at the school and he wasn't out there. So I checked my phone and there was a message on my cell at 7:30 this morning from her saying he was sick. I have told her to call my house phone first then my cell. I don't keep my cell in my pocket or anything. It's in my purse or coat pocket most of the time because I'm not the kind to use it all the time.
gbcc 09:01 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Well I have until tomorrow to figure it out now. I went to pick up her son at the school and he wasn't out there. So I checked my phone and there was a message on my cell at 7:30 this morning from her saying he was sick. I have told her to call my house phone first then my cell. I don't keep my cell in my pocket or anything. It's in my purse or coat pocket most of the time because I'm not the kind to use it all the time.
That is a waste of gas and time. I would charge her a no call no show fee if you waste your time and gas like that. Think about updating that in your policy as well.
originalkat 09:06 AM 02-01-2010
Charge her the late fees! No more warnings. Arent you always having problems with this lady? She is already walking all over you in my opinion. You can do it...show her you are in charge of your business and that you will follow through.

PS: I do not think text messages are the right way to address issues like this. A direct phone call is best in my opinion. Texts are for casual communication not for carring out business practices.
Persephone 09:16 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Charge her the late fees! No more warnings. Arent you always having problems with this lady? She is already walking all over you in my opinion. You can do it...show her you are in charge of your business and that you will follow through.

PS: I do not think text messages are the right way to address issues like this. A direct phone call is best in my opinion. Texts are for casual communication not for carring out business practices.
I used a text, because she doesn't answer her phone because she's sleeping, she works night shift. But if her son really did have her phone, so wouldn't have got it anyways. I've had that problem before when I called her son answered and said that he had the phone and he was not at home.

And yes I have had problems with this before.

That is a waste of gas and time. I would charge her a no call no show fee if you waste your time and gas like that. Think about updating that in your policy as well.
It was a waste of time! I got my son all dressed and warmed my van up. It's only 2 blocks over but that's not the point. And I do charge if he's not here. She pays for the week unless I'm the one that takes a day off.

And just as I was typing this message she calls me (an hour an half after I would have picked up her son) and asked if I got the message. Well a little late now. I told her that I didn't get it until I was over there. She was like "OH". I told her to call the house phone. She said she would program it in.
gbcc 09:22 AM 02-01-2010
It was a waste of time! I got my son all dressed and warmed my van up. It's only 2 blocks over but that's not the point. And I do charge if he's not here. She pays for the week unless I'm the one that takes a day off.
I meant an additional fee. It's rude so I would charge an inconvenience fee plus the normal wkly fee.
Persephone 09:25 AM 02-01-2010
I meant an additional fee. It's rude so I would charge an inconvenience fee plus the normal wkly fee.
I didn't know people did that? Wow. I never thought of that.
gbcc 09:31 AM 02-01-2010
I do. If you are scheduled and you don't have the decency to all me then you pay me the normal daily fee plus a $20 NCNS inconvenience fee! It's in my contract.
momofboys 09:35 AM 02-01-2010
You've been "Miss Nice Daycare Provider" far too long! Do not put up with this! You already told them they owed you a late fee, now enforce it. You can do it!!!! If they are mad so be it. Ask them how they would feel if they had no idea when they were getting paid? It is not fair to you. And man I would have been ticked about the text instead of a phone call. Ughhhh! I am not confrontational either but you have to stick up for yourself. I like GBCC's post about giving her a note.
safechner 09:40 AM 02-01-2010
I have to say I agree with Gbcc. It sounds like she is taking advantage of you but don't let her. Charge her with a late fee! It happens to me if I let my daycare parents late to pay me with no late fee many time. Now they wouldn't pay me and left me high dry. I am going to take them to a small claim court soon. I learned my huge lesson and I will never do it again!

Charge her additional fee for wasting your time and gas, too! Well, I usually use text for business purpose because I can't speak on the phone. I do speak very well but it is hard for me to hear on the cell phone. IRS can't complain!
Persephone 09:43 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
You've been "Miss Nice Daycare Provider" far too long! Do not put up with this! You already told them they owed you a late fee, now enforce it. You can do it!!!! If they are mad so be it. Ask them how they would feel if they had no idea when they were getting paid? It is not fair to you. And man I would have been ticked about the text instead of a phone call. Ughhhh! I am not confrontational either but you have to stick up for yourself. I like GBCC's post about giving her a note.
You would have been mad that I sent a text message to her about the late fee?
Persephone 09:44 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
I have to say I agree with Gbcc. It sounds like she is taking advantage of you but don't let her. Charge her with a late fee! It happens to me if I let my daycare parents late to pay me with no late fee many time. Now they wouldn't pay me and left me high dry. I am going to take them to a small claim court soon. I learned my huge lesson and I will never do it again!

Charge her additional fee for wasting your time and gas, too! Well, I usually use text for business purpose because I can't speak on the phone. I do speak very well but it is hard for me to hear on the cell phone. IRS can't complain!

Your all right. I've already said something to her about it and she's just trying to get away with it.

If she does get made and wants to leave so be it. Everything happens for a reason. And it is in the contract that I get two weeks or they pay anyways, so if she doesn't come back then she can pay me or I'll take her to court.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:53 AM 02-01-2010
good for you for getting the guts! she really sounds like she has no respect for you or the care you provide her son.
momofboys 11:59 AM 02-01-2010
You would have been mad that I sent a text message to her about the late fee?
No, I was saying I was mad about her texting you that her son was ill & you wouldn't have to get him. She should have called you b/c you then went out to pick up a child who was not there.
AnythingsPossible 12:26 PM 02-01-2010
I would tell her that if there are any further issues with late payment, she will need to provide payment on Monday of the week, rather then Friday. If payment isn't received, care will not be given. I foresee her leaving you without payment at some point in time.
momma2girls 12:27 PM 02-01-2010
Okay, my one family was late on payment again this week. I've been letting her pay on Fridays after care is done.

Well she sends her boyfriend to pick up and then OH he doesn't have the money. I told him that I needed the money that night or I would have to charge my late fee and I'd hate for her to have to pay for something like that. And he said he understood.

I then texted her and said that I needed the money by 8:30 that night (that was when my last kid was leaving for the day) or I would have to charge $10 per day.

Fastward to Sunday morning...still no payment so I called her and she said she was sick in the bathroom all weekend and her older boy had her phone so she just got my message that morning. But she would try to run the money over.

2 hours later she called and said the money was in my box. But I had put a new contract in the box for her to sign (I didn't tell her that because I thought of it after I got off the phone with her, but there was a letter on the top that said her name on it and there was no way to miss it in my box.)

She said she didn't drop it off she had someone else do it for her. So I'm redoing the letter on the contract to her.

I need to guts to tell her that she owes me the late fee! I really don't want to make her made and leave, but at the same time I don't want her walking all over me.

I don't charge her that much and I pick up her son at the school at 11:00. So I know she won't find someone else to do it for this price. But she'll just do it herself and kept him at home while she sleeps during the day, which I know she shouldn't be doing, but she will.

Should I let it slide as her warning that I'm going to do it next time? Please help!!
I would definately charge her for all of the late fees!! I know when i first started and actually up to about 3 yrs. ago, I let things slide and boy did I learn the hard way!!! People that use and abuse you will always use and abuse, and when another family sees the other ones get away with it, they will also!! Trust me, been there many times myself!!!! I have been putting my foot down for about 3 yrs. now, and let me tell you it's the best thing I could have done!!! I am always tweaking my contract up for the next yr. or for new ones that interview. BE strong, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Persephone 12:29 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
I would tell her that if there are any further issues with late payment, she will need to provide payment on Monday of the week, rather then Friday. If payment isn't received, care will not be given. I foresee her leaving you without payment at some point in time.
I plan on telling her that if there are any more issues it will be payment on Mondays.
safechner 01:02 PM 02-01-2010
Good job, Amy! Be strong! That is what I am doing for stand up myself and I won't let anyone take advantage of me anymore.
Unregistered 05:54 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by persephone:
okay, my one family was late on payment again this week. I've been letting her pay on fridays after care is done.

Well she sends her boyfriend to pick up and then oh he doesn't have the money. I told him that i needed the money that night or i would have to charge my late fee and i'd hate for her to have to pay for something like that. And he said he understood.

I then texted her and said that i needed the money by 8:30 that night (that was when my last kid was leaving for the day) or i would have to charge $10 per day.

Fastward to sunday morning...still no payment so i called her and she said she was sick in the bathroom all weekend and her older boy had her phone so she just got my message that morning. But she would try to run the money over.

2 hours later she called and said the money was in my box. But i had put a new contract in the box for her to sign (i didn't tell her that because i thought of it after i got off the phone with her, but there was a letter on the top that said her name on it and there was no way to miss it in my box.)

she said she didn't drop it off she had someone else do it for her. So i'm redoing the letter on the contract to her.

I need to guts to tell her that she owes me the late fee! I really don't want to make her made and leave, but at the same time i don't want her walking all over me.

I don't charge her that much and i pick up her son at the school at 11:00. So i know she won't find someone else to do it for this price. But she'll just do it herself and kept him at home while she sleeps during the day, which i know she shouldn't be doing, but she will.

Should i let it slide as her warning that i'm going to do it next time? Please help!!
let her go she is taking advantage of u she does not care about ur feelings or ur care let me tell u because if she did she would have ur money for u and would not have so many excuses she is so full of it put it this way is it fair to the other parents and children as well as ur own family for u to be so stressed out over this no it isnt so get the guts up and terminate .
momofboys 06:27 PM 02-01-2010
I plan on telling her that if there are any more issues it will be payment on Mondays.
Good plan! What happened? Did she re-sign your new documents? Did she get mad about the late fees?
Persephone 06:36 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Good plan! What happened? Did she re-sign your new documents? Did she get mad about the late fees?
The boy was not here today, so she won't know until tomorrow.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:45 PM 02-01-2010
I love reading this forum because you ladies are going to give me a solid backbone to run my business.

I'm like Persephone...I have a hard time enforcing things like that because the fear of upsetting them and then they go find someplace else to go...and in my town daycare is VERY slow right now with many layoffs at a large company and a lot of people living on one income.

But I guess if I enforce these rules and bring in those that understand, I will be less stressed and have the crew I want. I have 2 great families and hope this new family is the same.
Fro 02:58 PM 02-12-2010
Im sure this isn't new to most of you but thought it might help someone.
I have found that it helps to write out a payment reminder slip when someone owes me late fees, and just hand it to them each day with the updated amount. I keep a copy for myself as well. The slip looks kinda like this:
amount due___________
Due by_____________
For________________
And____________
I total up the amount they owe me, put on ASAP if its due now, write down the dates of care, and any fees added on, and then add things like, must be paid in full by___________ or children will not be accepted back into care. this way I have a paper trail of notices incase it becomes a problem, and I feel somewhat less confrontational.
This also helps for those time when there are several parents here at once, I dont feel comfortable reminding people about money infront of other people, but I can hand them a reminder note.
I also have noticed that things in writing seem more official so I get less argument, and people seem a little more likely to pay it quickly.
Tags:contract, invoice, late fee, late payment, policy
Reply Up