Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rough And Tumble Play In Family Childcare Mixed Age Groups
grateday 08:22 PM 01-01-2015
Even with rules I don't see how this could work in my house because of mixed age groups. Is there some way to address this with parents without making it look like I am upset. I had issues with it and I know its natural but it is not safe in a mixed childcare setting in a small house. It is also not safe because they never follow the rules and wait until I can supervise them.

The boys need it, I can see that but one 7 year old is the size of a ten year old and you have toddlers walking around. I don't think a 5 year old and a 7 year old are always aware of there body and where it is when they tumble around .......

This is my first experience with it and I need a way to address it ,, would a newsletter with a professional article and my perspective address this with parents?

Also if anyone has a policy on this to share. I wanted to rip my hair out this last incident because other children were not being cared for the way I wanted to because this went on and these two were not respecting the rules.

How do I address it so that it says something about being sent home in a professional way?
Angelsj 03:28 AM 01-02-2015
Send them outside if your regs allow for it. Even if it is very cold, they can go out for a bit and get that energy out. They don't need to be wrestling around in the house with little ones.
Otherwise, just explain to the parents the same way you did to us. For the protection of ALL the kids, this type of play is not allowed. Then follow through like you would if they were doing any other unacceptable behavior.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Send them outside if your regs allow for it. Even if it is very cold, they can go out for a bit and get that energy out. They don't need to be wrestling around in the house with little ones.
Otherwise, just explain to the parents the same way you did to us. For the protection of ALL the kids, this type of play is not allowed. Then follow through like you would if they were doing any other unacceptable behavior.
Yes! My kids burn off LOTS of energy WITHOUT having to physically touch anyone else.

The rough housing is not necessary and can be "natural" at home where the family can manage it.

I would never allow rough housing between older kids while there were toddlers (or any younger kids) in the same room.

As for parents, I would simply tell them that the kids need to learn to find alternate ways to expend their energy because they certainly won't be allowed to wrestle (outside of being on a team) when in school.

Also, I always explain to parents that what happens at home is 100% different than what can be allowed at daycare because of the mixed age group, the number of kids present and the liability issues.
nannyde 07:48 AM 01-02-2015
We don't have to host every single developmentally appropriate kid activity. No rough housing in daycare. Let them do that at home.
Controlled Chaos 08:59 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We don't have to host every single developmentally appropriate kid activity. No rough housing in daycare. Let them do that at home.
Great line. Because I agree little ones puppy wrestling is a normal way for children learn boundaries but it is not a safe or acceptable daycare activity.

Ways we get out extra energy out inside
- Jump while counting to 100
- Sing songs with motions
- throw bean bags into a basket
- have a snow ball "fight" (coffee filters - great for 2 1/2 - 5 year old)

all activities have a "only touch the air" rule. This rule applies outside as well. If someone touches someone else they get 1 verbal warning, then they are separated from the group with a table activity of my choosing. I have 2 very physical 3 year olds so we have been doing a lot of separating and earning back the privilege of playing with friends.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yup.

Send them outside.

I am ALL for it, AT HOME. I also do not allow power play/gun play/superhero play at all because it becomes just an excuse to fight
Controlled Chaos 09:40 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Great line. Because I agree little ones puppy wrestling is a normal way for children learn boundaries but it is not a safe or acceptable daycare activity.

Ways we get out extra energy out inside
- Jump while counting to 100
- Sing songs with motions
- throw bean bags into a basket
- have a snow ball "fight" (coffee filters - great for 2 1/2 - 5 year old)

all activities have a "only touch the air" rule. This rule applies outside as well. If someone touches someone else they get 1 verbal warning, then they are separated from the group with a table activity of my choosing. I have 2 very physical 3 year olds so we have been doing a lot of separating and earning back the privilege of playing with friends.
Also if they have lots of trouble outside, we just stop - go for a walk around the block (double stroller always at the ready) and then come back and try again.
Unregistered 11:56 AM 01-02-2015
Thank you everyone for your replies but they did not want to go outside because it was below zero and pretty cold. I told them what the rules were and it continued.

To make matters worse we did a lot of extra physical activities that they did participate in but it was during transition times or me taking care of a smaller child that they would do this and that is why I wanted to pull my hair out!!!

Chalk it up to a bad day and a kid with special needs and yes I will be telling everyone the way I told you on here.

I don't like it in family childcare and I am not asking to be a host for it by any means .....It is just not safe here at all
daycare 12:16 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you everyone for your replies but they did not want to go outside because it was below zero and pretty cold. I told them what the rules were and it continued.

To make matters worse we did a lot of extra physical activities that they did participate in but it was during transition times or me taking care of a smaller child that they would do this and that is why I wanted to pull my hair out!!!

Chalk it up to a bad day and a kid with special needs and yes I will be telling everyone the way I told you on here.

I don't like it in family childcare and I am not asking to be a host for it by any means .....It is just not safe here at all
is it possible to separate them? today I have a set of brothers here. Usually only one is here, but due to holiday is dropping in. They are bar far the two worst ones here today because they fight about everything. so we separated them and things are ok now. One is in the preschool room coloring and the other is reading books in the toddler room.

BTW it's one house with a half split wall that my asst sits in the middle of to monitor both of them.;
itlw8 01:19 PM 01-02-2015
It would not be allowed at school for any reason either So whey should you allow it in a preschool. nope not allowed ever They can play at home like that not at school
Controlled Chaos 04:00 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Make them go to a safe place during transition. Joe and John - have a seat at the table. Everyone else _______. Have them sit at the table, or another specific safe spot. Or release them one at a time. Joe you may walk to the rug. Now, Sally...now John. Plan ahead how to manage the transitions. Always have a plan. Especially when you know what sort of behavior to anticipate.
Unregistered 02:50 PM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Make them go to a safe place during transition. Joe and John - have a seat at the table. Everyone else _______. Have them sit at the table, or another specific safe spot. Or release them one at a time. Joe you may walk to the rug. Now, Sally...now John. Plan ahead how to manage the transitions. Always have a plan. Especially when you know what sort of behavior to anticipate.
I've done this before with my SA kids. They did not like it and the behavior stopped.
Tags:mixed ages, rough play
Reply Up