Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default No Smoking Sign

I know I have to have a no smoking sign up for licensing, but I"ll admit I don't. My business is in my home and noone smokes here, on the property during business or after business. I just don't like that idea of having that sign by my front door. What ways do you display the sign? I'm open to ideas. If I had anyone ever smoke here I'd be worried about it, but in 17 years I haven't had it once.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Pandaluver21's Avatar
Pandaluver21 Pandaluver21 is offline
Lover of all things B&W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 172
Default

I have a cross stitch picture that says "thank you for not smoking!"
Nobody smokes in my home, ever. Wouldn't allow it even if I didn't have the daycare :P

Last edited by Michael; 07-22-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2018, 04:53 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,316
Default

I just put mine on the parent board with all the other required stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2018, 04:59 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,228
Default

My sign is in the entryway just below the remove shoes sign. They are just laminated pieces of paper.
However I have posted the sign in a photo frame before.
I have heard of a provider using a cork board to post anything that she was required to post, then during the off hours, flipping the board over to reveal a picture.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21 View Post
I have a cross stitch picture that says "thank you for not smoking!"
Nobody smokes in my home, ever. Wouldn't allow it even if I didn't have the daycare :P
I don't either and actually I just have 1 family (sil) that does smoke, so it's not an issue at all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I just put mine on the parent board with all the other required stuff.
That's what I tried to do before, but my board is in my playroom and not everyone goes that far into the house, so not sure if that would be allowed. I'm going to ask though when I get inspected.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
My sign is in the entryway just below the remove shoes sign. They are just laminated pieces of paper.
However I have posted the sign in a photo frame before.
I have heard of a provider using a cork board to post anything that she was required to post, then during the off hours, flipping the board over to reveal a picture.
I love the idea of it being the back to a regular picture. I do have a little table right by the front door that is right where parents drop off. That just may work! It doesn't have to be outside then right?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

I have a small oval wood hanging plaque that says no smoking that I put on the door. It kind of hangs in the middle of a large kiddie alphabet wreath so it can be seen but disguised a little as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I have a small oval wood hanging plaque that says no smoking that I put on the door. It kind of hangs in the middle of a large kiddie alphabet wreath so it can be seen but disguised a little as well.
I found this on Etsy. That kinda reminded me of your idea.

What do you guys think. Does it have to be more apparent than this or would this work. It's about 4 X 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosmoking.jpg (107.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I found this on Etsy. That kinda reminded me of your idea.

What do you guys think. Does it have to be more apparent than this or would this work. It's about 4 X 4
My health/env inspector says mine works but the next inspector might say "no"....You just never know!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

I got thinking about the back of a pic, so I made this initial sign. What do you think? I'm going to do it a little different. Maybe draw something on it in the corners to make it look nice. This sign I got from one of my daycare moms, so I can just flip it during hours. It already sits on the table right where they come in in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoking2.jpg (53.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg smoking1.jpg (48.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,849
Default

I slapped a vinyl sticker on my storm door. I also have "Smile. You're on camera" and "No soliciting" signs on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Smoking-...w+decals&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9FVFFB...&pd_rd_w=myAT2

https://www.amazon.com/Soliciting-St...ing+sign&psc=1
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,114
Default

I like the vinyl sticker sign CH posted.

You can find so many cute ideas on Etsy for stickers too.


But man, I find it ridiculous that your regs say you even need to post something like that.
I have in my handbook that there is no smoking on site but that's meant to inform parents that nobody here smokes not that I need to tell other families to refrain.
I guess I never even thought about others approaching my door with a cigarette.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
I like the vinyl sticker sign CH posted.

You can find so many cute ideas on Etsy for stickers too.


But man, I find it ridiculous that your regs say you even need to post something like that.
I have in my handbook that there is no smoking on site but that's meant to inform parents that nobody here smokes not that I need to tell other families to refrain.
I guess I never even thought about others approaching my door with a cigarette.
I know. Isn't that ridiculous? Like my house is not my home. grrr I don't want it up all the time. I like the stickers too. I'm going to try and get away with the sign that I posted above that I can flip around everyday. If that doesn't work, I'll do the vinyl sticker.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
that's meant to inform parents that nobody here smokes not that I need to tell other families to refrain.
I guess I never even thought about others approaching my door with a cigarette.
It is actually a misdemeanor, that is why we must inform them.

It has been a reg here since the '90's. I don't even see the signs anymore, they have been required so long.

The vinyl is great in that you can take them down and put them back up when you want.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
I like the vinyl sticker sign CH posted.

You can find so many cute ideas on Etsy for stickers too.


But man, I find it ridiculous that your regs say you even need to post something like that.
I have in my handbook that there is no smoking on site but that's meant to inform parents that nobody here smokes not that I need to tell other families to refrain.
I guess I never even thought about others approaching my door with a cigarette.
I seem to recall we (MN providers) used to be required to post a sign too but when smoking in public places was banned, I think the reg was remove.

I don't know for sure, it just seems to ring true in my head... I've been licensed for 20+ years now so I just don't remember for sure but.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,581
Default

I would not want that sign in my home so I can understand your hesitation. I love this job (most days) but really loathe it in my home and wish my state allowed it in a second home like BC's state.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I love the idea of it being the back to a regular picture. I do have a little table right by the front door that is right where parents drop off. That just may work! It doesn't have to be outside then right?
Nope, just posted.

Personally I don't mind the no smoking sign. ( I blame the state and now my in-laws must take their cigarette butts home, instead of leaving them in my yard.)
What I didn't like was the Exit signs.
I have one leaning on the window in the basement and a sign above the my main entrance in the mud room.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Nope, just posted.

Personally I don't mind the no smoking sign. ( I blame the state and now my in-laws must take their cigarette butts home, instead of leaving them in my yard.)
What I didn't like was the Exit signs.
I have one leaning on the window in the basement and a sign above the my main entrance in the mud room.
What type of daycare do you have? Family/Group/Center?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
What type of daycare do you have? Family/Group/Center?
Family
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,228
Default

This is where I print my signs from
https://www.printablesigns.net/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Nope, just posted.

Personally I don't mind the no smoking sign. ( I blame the state and now my in-laws must take their cigarette butts home, instead of leaving them in my yard.)
What I didn't like was the Exit signs.
I have one leaning on the window in the basement and a sign above the my main entrance in the mud room.
Evidently we're required to have an exit sign too. Plus a fire extinguisher right near the exit door. I don't have a sign and my extinguisher is still in the kitchen. I'm waiting for a licensing visit so I can argue about it. I have a family home dc. The exit is *right there* and the kitchen is about 12' from the exit. Where do most fires occur? My guess is in the kitchen. And who, once they reach the exit, is going to grab the extinguisher to fight a fire??

A no smoking sign?? Hmmm, have no idea if that's required too. As you can tell, ever since they've changed the state regs. I'm right up on top of them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2018, 05:55 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Family
Is that something in the new regs? I know that previous regs the basement window had to have an exit sign on it but I've never had one on my main floor for the door. If that's in the new regs I'll get written up for that. I am not putting an exit sign on my foyer door lol. Who exactly is that sign for anyway my 1 year old kids that can read hahaa
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Is that something in the new regs? I know that previous regs the basement window had to have an exit sign on it but I've never had one on my main floor for the door. If that's in the new regs I'll get written up for that. I am not putting an exit sign on my foyer door lol. Who exactly is that sign for anyway my 1 year old kids that can read hahaa
Here, we correct write-ups/violatons on-site.....and our violations are listed online even if they are minor...I don't wanna take that chance.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:08 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Here, we correct write-ups/violatons on-site.....and our violations are listed online even if they are minor...I don't wanna take that chance.
Yea here too, but I'm not finding it in the regs. Wondering where it is. I know for a basement we had to do it for the window because it's not obvious that a window is an emergency exit, but we've never had to have it for a regular door on the main floor before. I wonder if it's an inspector's misinterpretation.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Yea here too, but I'm not finding it in the regs. Wondering where it is. I know for a basement we had to do it for the window because it's not obvious that a window is an emergency exit, but we've never had to have it for a regular door on the main floor before. I wonder if it's an inspector's misinterpretation.
It's under the fire codes here!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
It's under the fire codes here!
What state are you in? My fire inspector hasn't mentioned that before.

Edit: Oh not your fire inspector, but your fire code in your daycare rule manual?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
What state are you in? My fire inspector hasn't mentioned that before.

Edit: Oh not your fire inspector, but your fire code in your daycare rule manual?
Fire and licensing monitor it, but it is a fire code and their violations are sent to our licensing monitors. I am in Tennessee! We can't relicense each year without fire and health approval.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Fire and licensing monitor it, but it is a fire code and their violations are sent to our licensing monitors. I am in Tennessee! We can't relicense each year without fire and health approval.
I just checked our manual and it says:

"A window may be used as a second exit if it complies with all of the following provisions:
(a) Is accessible to children and caregiving staff.
(b) Is clearly identified
(c) Can be readily opened
(d) Is of a size and design to allow for the evacuation of all children and caregiving staff.

So this appears that we'd only need a sign in Michigan at a window if it was used as an exit (provision b). I'm assuming because it's not apparent that the window would be an exit.

I would like to know if in Michigan if this is something that has changed since new regs though. I've had my daycare 17 years and have had multiple inspections and have never had to have one on my mainfloor doors. I really hope that's not something that changed
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:35 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
This is where I print my signs from
https://www.printablesigns.net/
That's a great site thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I just checked our manual and it says:

"A window may be used as a second exit if it complies with all of the following provisions:
(a) Is accessible to children and caregiving staff.
(b) Is clearly identified
(c) Can be readily opened
(d) Is of a size and design to allow for the evacuation of all children and caregiving staff.

So this appears that we'd only need a sign in Michigan at a window if it was used as an exit (provision b). I'm assuming because it's not apparent that the window would be an exit.

I would like to know if in Michigan if this is something that has changed since new regs though. I've had my daycare 17 years and have had multiple inspections and have never had to have one on my mainfloor doors. I really hope that's not something that changed
Yep, 26 for me and every inspector's perception is different. I always tell them "show me in the rules".
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:39 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Yep, 26 for me and every inspector's perception is different. I always tell them "show me in the rules".
Exactly lol! I mean the way ours reads it specifies only windows. Is that how you read ours? I copied it word for word.

I've had the same daycare inspector for the 17 years, but she just retired. A brand new one this time and I'm due for inspection in teh next few months, so we shall see. Insert roll eyes lol
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Exactly lol! I mean the way ours reads it specifies only windows. Is that how you read ours? I copied it word for word.

I've had the same daycare inspector for the 17 years, but she just retired. A brand new one this time and I'm due for inspection in teh next few months, so we shall see. Insert roll eyes lol
Windows can count as exits here but our exit sign go by the doors.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,114
Default

Exit signs?
Seriously???

I can just see the news report after an in home fire now....
"Well thank goodness that home daycare provider had exit signs in her basement daycare, because that two year old wouldn't have been able to find his way out of the home without reading it."

SMH My goodness.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
Exit signs?
Seriously???

I can just see the news report after an in home fire now....
"Well thank goodness that home daycare provider had exit signs in her basement daycare, because that two year old wouldn't have been able to find his way out of the home without reading it."

SMH My goodness.
My kids do recognize the exit signs because we talk about them. I change name tags every month at the table and they recognize their names there too. They recognize their names on their cubbies too. When their parents sign in/out, they know which tab is their's as well. From age two up here recognizes alot. They can't read persay but they do recognize certain printed things.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Laundrymom here. Canít get logged in. Sorry.
I made a vinyl decal in black for the window by my door. You almost canít see it. But itís there. (Although I applied it a bit crooked and it makes me cringe to look at. Lol. Iíll re do it soon)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
My kids do recognize the exit signs because we talk about them. I change name tags every month at the table and they recognize their names there too. They recognize their names on their cubbies too. When their parents sign in/out, they know which tab is their's as well. From age two up here recognizes alot. They can't read persay but they do recognize certain printed things.
That's great that you do that. It does really help future reading skills to be able to recognize the written world around us.

For the sake of argument about the specific topic- using an exit sign and have it BE useful, then it would need to be taught what "exit" means and what "exit" looks like.
Most adults don't teach that to 2 yr olds.
When looking at it from a safety aspect...
When we have fire drills, what do we say to the children?
Go to the exit or go the door?
We need to exit or we need to leave?
Sure, you could teach that exit means door, but not too many people use that terminology with children in every day speech because it can be confusing to use so many terms. Not that it shouldn't be taught- just that it isn't.

The only way this would even make a little bit of sense to me is if you had to use a big red, lit up glowing EXIT sign that is also used in commercial business. But, code would require them to run electricity above the door to install one. For an (average) 2000 ft sq home that only uses half of it's sq ft for daycare and is routinely used by the child (same door in and out everyday)- ridiculous. Plus we just took one more step into turning the HOME feel into a full fledged (invasive) commercial business.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
I just checked our manual and it says:

"A window may be used as a second exit if it complies with all of the following provisions:
(a) Is accessible to children and caregiving staff.
(b) Is clearly identified
(c) Can be readily opened
(d) Is of a size and design to allow for the evacuation of all children and caregiving staff.

So this appears that we'd only need a sign in Michigan at a window if it was used as an exit (provision b). I'm assuming because it's not apparent that the window would be an exit.

I would like to know if in Michigan if this is something that has changed since new regs though. I've had my daycare 17 years and have had multiple inspections and have never had to have one on my mainfloor doors. I really hope that's not something that changed
I was told this during orientation, four years ago, that each floor had to have an exit marked. My first reaction was, why the kids can't read. Lol
Rereading the technical, it says that each floor needs one marked, if a window is used and if the kids use that floor. We don't use the basement unless we go down for a tornado drill. But I was told that I had to have a sign on each floor. So I labeled a window.

I was thinking about this and I just got an inspection last fall, my basement curtains were closed, there was no way he saw the sign and he didn't question me for not having one either.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
That's great that you do that. It does really help future reading skills to be able to recognize the written world around us.

For the sake of argument about the specific topic- using an exit sign and have it BE useful, then it would need to be taught what "exit" means and what "exit" looks like.
Most adults don't teach that to 2 yr olds.
When looking at it from a safety aspect...
When we have fire drills, what do we say to the children?
Go to the exit or go the door?
We need to exit or we need to leave?
Sure, you could teach that exit means door, but not too many people use that terminology with children in every day speech because it can be confusing to use so many terms. Not that it shouldn't be taught- just that it isn't.

The only way this would even make a little bit of sense to me is if you had to use a big red, lit up glowing EXIT sign that is also used in commercial business. But, code would require them to run electricity above the door to install one. For an (average) 2000 ft sq home that only uses half of it's sq ft for daycare and is routinely used by the child (same door in and out everyday)- ridiculous. Plus we just took one more step into turning the HOME feel into a full fledged (invasive) commercial business.
Well, if you use that reasoning, though, parents don't teach self-help skills or other things that providers teach kids either, but I still teach those. My fire marshall has codes that I must follow. My sign in/out log is acceptable to licensing but not to the fire marshall so I have a separate form I use in my emergency notebook each day. Bottom line is, no matter how crazy some rules sound, each state entity in whatever state makes providers follow their protocol so I do it to meet my state regs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
no smoking sign, signs -front door, smoking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Introducting Basic Spanish & Sign Language 3-5 Year Olds Abigail Curriculum 9 07-11-2018 01:02 AM
Sign In/Out Changes - What Do You Use? Baby Beluga Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 01-09-2017 07:52 AM
Kids Using Sign Language midaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 06-17-2014 05:56 PM
Sign for daycare DCMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 08-08-2012 06:48 PM
Sign in & out sheets for DHS Genesis Lady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 06-23-2010 10:18 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming