Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Unregistered

Default Last 2 Weeks Payment

I recently switched my policy to requiring the last 2 weeks of care paid upfront. My newest family paid this for her 2 kids but now her daughter will be starting school soon and her younger son will still be in care full time. She still wants to bring her daughter on snow days and school holidays, and most likely next summer as well. So my question is, at what point should I work off the last 2 weeks pay? Now? Or keep it until she’s done for good?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I recently switched my policy to requiring the last 2 weeks of care paid upfront. My newest family paid this for her 2 kids but now her daughter will be starting school soon and her younger son will still be in care full time. She still wants to bring her daughter on snow days and school holidays, and most likely next summer as well. So my question is, at what point should I work off the last 2 weeks pay? Now? Or keep it until she’s done for good?
I wouldn't apply it until it's actually her last two weeks of care and is leaving for good. Especially if she will still be attending full days during the summer next year.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I agree.

Not until her actual last two weeks in care.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Sounds to me like her daughter will be changing from FT to drop-in. I personally consider any child that does not come regularly as drop-in care because I do not want to hold a spot for these kids. Drop in would mean that the daughter was not guaranteed a spot unless you had availability, which to me would be ideal otherwise I'd have to guarantee a spot for her and I would potentially be losing money from not being able to fill her spot.

Personally, I would use it towards her final 2 weeks before she started school and make sure to either have the parent give me their 2-week notice in writing or I would give them theirs and specify that the deposit would be applied towards those 2 weeks. Then I'd have them sign a drop-in contract with the terms and have them pay for the snow days/school holidays/school vacation days etc at drop off each day at a higher drop-in rate.

I don't require my drop-in clients to give me a deposit because I don't guarantee them spots and they pay me on a daily basis. This way I can say no when I want or if I'm full.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Sounds to me like her daughter will be changing from FT to drop-in. I personally consider any child that does not come regularly as drop-in care because I do not want to hold a spot for these kids. Drop in would mean that the daughter was not guaranteed a spot unless you had availability, which to me would be ideal otherwise I'd have to guarantee a spot for her and I would potentially be losing money from not being able to fill her spot.

Personally, I would use it towards her final 2 weeks before she started school and make sure to either have the parent give me their 2-week notice in writing or I would give them theirs and specify that the deposit would be applied towards those 2 weeks. Then I'd have them sign a drop-in contract with the terms and have them pay for the snow days/school holidays/school vacation days etc at drop off each day at a higher drop-in rate.

I don't require my drop-in clients to give me a deposit because I don't guarantee them spots and they pay me on a daily basis. This way I can say no when I want or if I'm full.
I agree, you don't know what could happen between now and next summer, you may fill the spot and not have room for her.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Yes that’s right. She would be a drop in during the school year and will most likely be back under contract next summer but things could change. For those of you who take drop ins, do you charge more for them? I never have but thinking maybe I should.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yes that’s right. She would be a drop in during the school year and will most likely be back under contract next summer but things could change. For those of you who take drop ins, do you charge more for them? I never have but thinking maybe I should.
I handle kids aging out FROM my care as regular school kids with an amended schedule. Meaning I don't consider them withdrawn from care and don't apply their last two weeks of care to their account until they literally have no intention of being a regularly attending child.

So for me, the child in question will still be attending full time in the summer months and will be attending during school breaks/non-school days so they are simply a part time child and billed accordingly. I have a flat rate for full day care for SA and a flat weekly rate for before/after school care.

I charge drop in rates ONLY to those kids that use LESS then 14 days of care per year. My drop in rate is approximately 2.5 times my regular daily rate. So if I charged $20 a day my drop in rate would be $50 per day.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
For me the more regular hours you spend here the less you pay hourly. So yes, I charge more for drop-in.

As an example here's how my rates break down (FT & PT pay a flat weekly rate, I'm breaking it down to hourly just so you can see the difference):

FT: 50 hours wk, 10 hours day = $200/wk ($4/hr)
PT 3 days: 30 hours wk, 10 hours day = $150/wk ($5/hr)
PT 2 days: 20 hours wk, 10 hours day = $110/wk ($5.50/hr)
Drop-In Daily: 10 hours a day = $65/day ($6.50/hr)
Drop-In Hr: 4 hour minimum = $8/hr

Tags
2 week deposit, deposit policy, policy - revisions