Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking On Clients Who Don't Work?? Fishing For Info?
Unregistered 07:45 AM 09-23-2011
Sorry, signed out for this one... have a 2 part question:

first, would you have issue with taking on a family where one parent does not work - goes to school part time and is home with a younger baby while the toddler comes to you on a part time basis?
I don't do half day care - you pay for the full day and I prefer drop offs by 9am and pick ups after 3pm due to nap (obviously occassional early pick ups for full time kids are fine). I'm afraid in a case like this they will often be "running late" because mom really has nowhere to go but back home with the baby. Baby sleeps in, etc. and they end up coming at 9:30, 10am. I like to take kids to park, etc. and don't want to be stuck waiting for someone.

Second question.... wondering if mom is just fishing for info. claims she was a nanny and worked in centers for years before having kids. Now is home with 2 little ones (baby is just few months old). Think maybe she is looking for info (rates, forms, etc.) to start doing her own daycare??? I'd rather someone be honest and ask for advice than sneak around to get my rates and copies of my forms. I don't know if this is the case though just a feeling I'm getting from emails so far.

I do have the opening and have advertised that I take part time/full days but I really don't need another 2 day a week kid either. Do I go forward w/interview, etc. or just say no now? I've never turned someone away before even meeting them when I have the opening.
wdmmom 07:50 AM 09-23-2011
If they don't work, I don't work.

I'm not going to work for a mom that doesn't have a job but wants her child to have the social interaction with other kids. Then she is going to want to know the other kids and before you know it, arrivals and departures are going to take a half hour because she doesn't have anywhere to be so she's not going to be apt to leaving. She's going to want to make friends with you and watch her son play with the other kids.

Nope! It'd turn into more of a headache than it's worth!
sharlan 08:02 AM 09-23-2011
I don't mind people calling and asking questions. But I wish they would be honest up front about why they're calling.

Who would be watching the baby while Mom's at school?
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 09-23-2011
I am a provider who doesn't care one way or another what a parent is or isn't doing while they pay for the services I offer. I have several children who attend here simply for the social experience. With that being said, I would not take this family if I were in your shoes because you mentioned you are not in need of another 2 day a week child. If they wanted a full time space and you needed that, I would not hesitate to enroll.

If you did take them, I would be very upfront about NOT being late and following all your policies and rules. You should be able to tell if a family is really gonna work out or not within the 2 week trial period if you have one. If she doesn't follow them, then she gets termed. Easy as that.

As far as her just fishing for info, I would only discuss basic stuff until she is actually farther along into the interview process. I agree that it would be easier and nicer to simply ask you if she is fishing for info but really who cares if she is? The way I look at it is just because she has the tools doesn't guarantee that she is good at using them....ykwim?
Springdaze 08:30 AM 09-23-2011
I cant be that picky about who I take, so the not working wouldnt bother me unless they were late picking up. I need the kids!
Unregistered 09:45 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't mind people calling and asking questions. But I wish they would be honest up front about why they're calling.

Who would be watching the baby while Mom's at school?
she goes to school in the evenings when dad is home to take care of both kids but she will use the day for studying, etc. when the newborn naps. She wants the daycare soley for the interaction with other kids but I only take 4-5 kids max so its not like there are always going to be a bunch of little ones her childs age. Not like a 2 year old is getting much socialization from a 6 month old, you know?

I am mostly concerned about the drop off time being extended and being stuck here waiting for them. I try not to be confrontational in laying down the law so I think I rather just avoid the headache from the start.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 09-23-2011
so I guess my next question is how do I decline this??? She thinks its perfect because I advertised part time and she wants part time. I'm sure she will say the drop off won't be an issue, that she will get here by 9am. I don't think I should mention it has to do with her not working, right? What reason do I give?
TBird 09:59 AM 09-23-2011
I have a DCP who only works two days per week but has a FT contract. I guess she goes to school some days & studies some days. I could care less as long as I get PAID on time and she doesn't hang out here or hold up my program.
wdmmom 10:15 AM 09-23-2011
I would tell her that you don't work for families that don't work or go to school.

OR

Tell her that you don't work for families that have other children that attend at separate places. Ultimately, it's a short term deal. A family member may decide to watch the child or the other provider could have an opening and out the door he will go.

OR

Tell them that you've had several other families contact you so you are going to make a decision based on some of the people you already interviewed.

OR

Just be honest and tell her that you don't think it will be a good fit.
Christian Mother 10:26 AM 09-23-2011
I don't really mind whether the parent is at home or not while I am being paid to watch their child. I have a little guy who comes specifically for play time with the kids and we do art activities and learning activities. He used to come 3 days a wk when she was pregnant but since she's had her baby little guy is only here 2 days a week. It's money and I enjoy having having him here. But the things you mention about coming late and picking up after 3pm. Thoughs are things I deal with with her. I start at 6am and the kids arrive up to 7am. She however drops off after 9am...sometimes it's 7am sometimes it's 9:45am. Sometimes her husband picks up at 4:45pm sometimes it's 2:30pm. For me I charge $5 an hr. up to 5 hrs. Full time rate for me is $25 thats for 10 hrs. Anything after 10 hrs is $5 hr. and if they pick up after 4:30pm it's $5 starting the min after and then $5 an hr from there. They are always wonderful with paying me and pay me in advance and if they are late they pay me right there at pick up time. I have never had problems with them and I love there little guy. The parents are great also!! All my families are!!

For this particular parent if you decide to take her and her child on make sure she signs phb and contract. I would make her aware that daycare starts promptly at 9am. I would charge her either a flat day rate or hr and even if she comes late charge her per her contacted hrs. Make her pay in advance. Charge regardless of whether that child is there or not since it's part time and he is occupying a slot. Also, make her aware that you do take the kids out to the park or activities and you need to know 24hrs in advance if she will be late so you can plan accordingly. If she is late she runs the risk of no one being at home and that is not your problem as she was made aware of this before hand and you will be paid regardless. If you make parents aware up front there are less problems all around. That way they will have to take daycare seriously. Sometimes parents would love to formulate daycare around there day and it just isn't so. We need to be the ones to outline how we run our business.
littlemissmuffet 10:34 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
so I guess my next question is how do I decline this??? She thinks its perfect because I advertised part time and she wants part time. I'm sure she will say the drop off won't be an issue, that she will get here by 9am. I don't think I should mention it has to do with her not working, right? What reason do I give?
If she thinks it PERFECT before she's even met you or seen your daycare... she's defnitely NOT a client I would want.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 09-23-2011
she goes to school in the evenings when dad is home to take care of both kids but she will use the day for studying, etc. when the newborn naps. She wants the daycare soley for the interaction with other kids but I only take 4-5 kids max so its not like there are always going to be a bunch of little ones her childs age. Not like a 2 year old is getting much socialization from a 6 month old, you know?

I am mostly concerned about the drop off time being extended and being stuck here waiting for them. I try not to be confrontational in laying down the law so I think I rather just avoid the headache from the start.
I wouldn't give a second thought to the drop off time because if your schedule is that you go to the park or wherever by a certain time and she is not there, I would simply go about my business and leave. Just because I plan on stopping at the grocery store tonight before they close doesn't mean they are going to wait for me...kwim?

If you do decide that you are not taking her, I would do what wdmmom said and be honest about just not feeling like it is a good fit. I know that is hard to do but being honest is the best way to not get caught in a lie. If it really is too uncomfortable to explain why and to be that upfront, tell her her needs are just not going to work with yours and wish her well before she can try to negotiate.

For example if questioned about why, I would say, "I'd rather not discuss personal reasons with you but I wish you well in your search."
Mom_of_two 12:44 PM 09-23-2011
I also don't care what parents do while their kids are here. I f they are a family I like that truly clicks with me, they pay and follow policies, the rest doesn't matter to me.

Second- I had someone do that. And start a daycare. It was insulting. Now I straight up ask. Some people wouldn't care at all, but if it bothers you, ask. I took time to write a 12 pg handbook using my own words and vision. If someone uses it, they will hear from my lawyer. I have friends who are glad to hand their stuff to anyone!! Just do what is comfy for you. I am always glad to help someone, just not give them my words.
KEG123 01:01 PM 09-23-2011
I'd allow it. As long as they still have contracted hours and you are firm with them.
Tags:parents - no job
Reply Up