Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hiring My Volunteer
Oneluckymom 09:29 AM 06-14-2013
My volunteer wants to be hired on a part time basis. She seems to be working out ok....not great but I really can't complain. She's just a little rough around the edges and needs to learn as she goes along.

My question is if anyone has an employee contract they can share?
daycare 10:26 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
My volunteer wants to be hired on a part time basis. She seems to be working out ok....not great but I really can't complain. She's just a little rough around the edges and needs to learn as she goes along.

My question is if anyone has an employee contract they can share?
I have been working on mine for the last year. I currently have 3 employees. All of them are very part time.

What I have done with the newest employee that I hired was make her come for two weeks of paid training before she got to work with the kids. I had my husband and assistant watch the kids so that I could train her the way that I wanted her to work. She is young with no experience, but let me tell you I am one proud employer right now...

if you PM me I can email you anything I have
Oneluckymom 12:24 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have been working on mine for the last year. I currently have 3 employees. All of them are very part time.

What I have done with the newest employee that I hired was make her come for two weeks of paid training before she got to work with the kids. I had my husband and assistant watch the kids so that I could train her the way that I wanted her to work. She is young with no experience, but let me tell you I am one proud employer right now...

Thanks pm'ed you.
daycare 01:31 PM 06-14-2013
I did not get any PM from you
ksmith 01:44 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

What types of things did you go over with her while training? Do you have maybe an outline of the types of things you covered?
daycare 02:02 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by ksmith:
What types of things did you go over with her while training? Do you have maybe an outline of the types of things you covered?
Yes I have an outline that I go over. their first two days were strictly going over policies and then I have them work a little more hands on with me.

I go over things that they can't do:

Like....No smoking, we can't carry the children (I have 2-5 yr olds)
We won't enable the children, we will let them try to do things on their own
I give them a run down of the kids rules
I give them a run down of how I expect them to engage with the children.

We go over fire, and most importantly always keeping the children safe.
Starburst 03:07 PM 06-15-2013
If you want to make your own (same as you would for any employee paid or not) try to keep these things in mine (I had this in an old post):

Originally Posted by Starburst:
Just ask some of the things you are okay with or not okay with and look into local laws.

Some questions:
What is her job title (DC assistant; DC, infant/toddler, or Pre-K teacher, DC sub)? What will her duties entitle (active with children learning or mostly just helping with cleaning and meal prep)? Will she be expected to pick kids up or drop them off at school/bus stop? Will she be required to drive children to school on rainy days? Will she drive your car or her car? Will she be reimbursed for gas if she uses her car? Will she be responsible for walking a group of kids some where, like to the park, without you? Will she be responsible for staying with kids who cannot go on field trips? Will she help you for graduation/field trips/date nights (and will she be paid or reimbursed for her time/fees)? Is she allowed to invite other people (like her kids) to graduations/field trips and other daycare events?

Is it okay if she advertises to babysit/nanny daycare kids after hours/weekends? Is it okay if daycare parents ask her to (are they allowed to)? If so are you willing to possibly be implicated or held responsible if something happens? If she does this against your permission what is the consequence (warning/ probation/ termination)? What are some things that can lead to termination?

What hours do you expect them to be available (when will you let them know your schedule)? Will they have breaks? Will they be allowed to leave during nap/breaks? Will you pay for holidays you get paid off that they are expected to work (like Labor Day if they work Mondays)? Are you willing to pay them if they stay during nap if you are over your 1 adult and _ kids ratio or find something else for them to do? Is this long term/short term or temporary with a chance of being occasional (such as a sub for drs appointments)?

Will she be responsible for paying CPR/first aid classes and fingerprint/ background check or will you pay for it? Do you expect her to take certain ECE/CD or Health Safety and Nutrition classes, if so are you willing to pay all and or will she have to pay all or will you pay (most or some) and take it out of her check every week for tuition and books until it is paid up?

Is she allowed to mention your business or refer you to other families (limit/forbid if you are at capacity)? Is she allowed to give potential DCPs your home/business/cell number, business cards, or E-mail address?

What type of clothing is she allowed to wear during work (i.e. can she wear PJ bottoms? Does she have to wear an apron {some old centers do that})? Is she allowed to wear sandals/flip flops or only closed toe shoes (safety issue)? Does she need to take her shoes off before coming in the house? Are you willing to provide a "uniform" for her (an appropriate top and bottom) that she must keep at work that you are willing to wash for her? Is she allowed to drop by or volunteer on her days off?

What is acceptable and not acceptable (cursing or smoking on daycare property during hours)? What they are expected to do if a child misbehaves (take action{give time-outs}, or just tell you)? Are they allowed to share personal information with families (like asking parents personal information about their children)? Are they allowed to tell DCF's about your personal life or other daycare families/children (can they tell DCFs things if you are pregnant)? Can they talk about the child to the parent (can they tell the parent if the child acted up if you are there)? Is she allowed to discipline the daycare children (or your children)?

If she has kids is she allowed to bring them to work? If so is she expected to pay or have some of her pay deducted if it fills a spot that is in demand? Will she have any say (like giving suggestions) about your business (ads/websites/ furniture/ décor or adding new services)?

If she decided to open up her own daycare in the same town, is there a certain neighborhood or amount of feet/mile you would feel comfortable with her staying away from and willing to help with daycare questions or referrals? Is she allowed to work at your daycare and another daycare at the same time? Are they allowed to tell your "trade secrets" with other providers?-----> Some jobs make you sign a paper saying you understand that you can get sued if you share company secrets with similar businesses.

ksmith 03:49 AM 06-16-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
If you want to make your own (same as you would for any employee paid or not) try to keep these things in mine (I had this in an old post):
Thanks! That's a great list!
Tags:hiring employees, volunteer
Reply Up