Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>And Now, It Happened to Me
Mad_Pistachio 11:29 AM 03-21-2016
we have all heard about parents forgetting the payment. now, I guess, it's my turn...

yesterday was a super busy day, and today, we overslept. the plan was for my husband and daughter to get up, for me to get her ready and send them both out the door around 8 am. what happened was, she got up at 8 am (semi-sleepless night, which is why I let her sleep in), and I said I'd drop her off. my husband left... with the DC money for this week (he gets cash on Fridays specifically for daycare). called me when we were on the way, and we were both, like, crap! this is what happenes when things refuse to go as planned.
I looked over the handbook, and it looks like we have until Tuesday evening to pay. normally, the only times we had to do that was when we weren't there on Monday (sick or out of town), but today, she went.
it felt awful to tell the director that I have no payment with me. it felt awesome when she waved her hand and said that tomorrow would be fine. he IS paying tomorrow morning, even if I have to tattoo the reminder on my forehead.

in almost 2 years there, it's the first time we literally forgot to pay. ugh...
Universe, once again, is reminding me that I'm not perfect (as if I didn't know that).
Thriftylady 11:33 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
we have all heard about parents forgetting the payment. now, I guess, it's my turn...

yesterday was a super busy day, and today, we overslept. the plan was for my husband and daughter to get up, for me to get her ready and send them both out the door around 8 am. what happened was, she got up at 8 am (semi-sleepless night, which is why I let her sleep in), and I said I'd drop her off. my husband left... with the DC money for this week (he gets cash on Fridays specifically for daycare). called me when we were on the way, and we were both, like, crap! this is what happenes when things refuse to go as planned.
I looked over the handbook, and it looks like we have until Tuesday evening to pay. normally, the only times we had to do that was when we weren't there on Monday (sick or out of town), but today, she went.
it felt awful to tell the director that I have no payment with me. it felt awesome when she waved her hand and said that tomorrow would be fine. he IS paying tomorrow morning, even if I have to tattoo the reminder on my forehead.

Universe, once again, is reminding me that I'm not perfect (as if I didn't know that).
Ah if after two years this is the first time I understand the director telling you not to worry. I have done the same for great clients who have always paid but are having a day. I don't mind waiving a late fee once in awhile. It is those people who always seem to have forgotten their checkbook, or forgot they needed to pay me that are my issue. The ones that do it once in a very great while, I know they will catch it tomorrow. We all have a bad day once in awhile.
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:

No one expects perfection... Just open honest communication.

You did exactly that. and didnt break any policies in the process so
Rockgirl 11:39 AM 03-21-2016
And you referred to your handbook! Kudos for that--we all know that isn't common.
e.j. 03:10 PM 03-21-2016
I tend to be fairly forgiving when a family forgets to bring their payment because I was once a dc mom and I know I forgot to pay my provider once or twice myself. Nobody's perfect. It's not a big problem for me when it's someone who normally pays on time. It becomes a problem when it's someone who frequently forgets the check and doesn't ever think to apologize.
laundrymom 05:20 PM 03-21-2016
Aaaawwewwwwww

You need to change your name to thoughtful pistachio
Mad_Pistachio 06:25 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
You need to change your name to thoughtful pistachio
nah... I like being mad, as in completely and totally nuts (pun very much intended).

it's just, first, I was in a service industry for 10 years (10 being a nanny and 5 out of them having a cleaning business on top of that), and I know exactly how frustrating it is to not be paid for what you have done. in fact, I still clean every now and then when I have time, and, just as I type, one client owes me money for the cleaning that was done almost 3 weeks ago. to say that I'm mad is a gross understatement.
second, while I realize that most of the money we pay for DC is spent into something I may not see (hey, Ms. Moosy needs to eat, right?), I also see things: she just got new wood chips and some equipment for the playground; not long ago, the DC got tricycles and "cars" to ride outside; new decorations inside (yes, I donated one, but it's a drop in a bucket); she pays her staff and all other people who work on the building's issues; the railings were repainted a couple of months ago... all those things cost money. so, my dollars don't just go who-knows-where, they go back to make the place better for my child, at the end of the day. and the rates are much, much lower than all the other places I have called while searching (not gonna throw around the numbers, just trust me on that one).

it's not so much of being thoughtful as just knowing where money comes from (blood, sweat, and tears) and where it is going (in this case, back to me in form of the service my child enjoys).

I ended up alologizing at pickup and being waved at again. he better not forget the money tomorrow (I know he has it).
Tags:late payment
Reply Up