Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Invented Tattling 3.5 yo
Mom2Two 09:38 AM 01-18-2018
I was right there and saw dcb1.5 fall (soft landing) off a rocking horse onto carpet. He cried from the scare of it, and I helped him up, then dcg3.5 came up to me and told me that another dcg3.5 had pushed him off. I've been watching them the whole time, and it's not like she had previously pushed him off or something--it was pure creation. And the other dcg was right next to the tattler, playing when it happened.

How would you have handled this one? I was a bit mad with dcg and had her go sit out with some firm words about not saying bad things about other kids that aren't true.

How loose a grasp do kids of this age have on reality? Is this a developmental thing or do I need to give some firmness on not making bad stuff up about other kids?

The tattler and her older sibling both have a funny tendency to be overly imaginative. Sometimes it's almost like they think that they can really create their own reality. And they do both tattle incorrectly quite often. I have had to be firm with older brother about this. It can lead to serious stuff--even about me!
Ariana 09:44 AM 01-18-2018
Kids brains are in a completely different state until about 6-8 years old. Their brain waves are much more like the brain waves you experience during dreaming and during deep meditation. They are very susceptible to suggestion and manipulation. This is why they “lie” and have such vivid imaginations!

I don’t punish for lying until a child is much older, even then it isn’t a punishment per se but more of a teaching moment to let them know why lying is not good. I would have simply said “oh I did not see anyone push her so that is odd” and moved on.
Reply Up