Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hello Need Daycare advice
Elle 08:52 AM 11-19-2013
I have a day care child that is biting other children..... Need some advice. Quickly
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 11-19-2013
Can you separate this child for the safety of the group?

Do you have another adult to shadow him/her all day?
Elle 09:25 AM 11-19-2013
I do have a adult friend watching over him all day long. My friend is only temp.
I want what is best for my daycare home.....thinking about giving this family my 2 week notice. I do need the income /Not sure I can replace them quickly because of the holidays.
Annalee 09:35 AM 11-19-2013
When I have a biter, I allow them to become my pocket buddy...they stay beside me all day long....and they don't like that so the biting subsides. I firmly believe in accountability/responsibility. The children will hopefully learn to make good choices that reap good consequences. Good luck!
renodeb 10:01 AM 11-19-2013
Give him a teething toy to chew on? How old he is? Separate him if you can. Make him stay with you all day. Good luck
Deb
DaycareMom 10:04 AM 11-19-2013
Originally Posted by Elle:
I have a day care child that is biting other children..... Need some advice. Quickly
Separate him from the group or be his shadow.
melilley 10:08 AM 11-19-2013
How old is he? For some children, it's a developmental stage.

I had an 18 mo. old biter. I had to shadow him all day and had him come sit and/or play by me any time I had to so something where I couldn't be right there and also did lots of redirection. I also told him every time that biting hurts. Teeth are for biting food, things like that. Eventually he stopped biting. It did take a while, but he grew out of it.

It's a pain in the butt and may take a while, but I'm not the type to term without trying things first. But I know other providers may term; It's all up to you if you want to put the effort in to stop the biting and if you want him to stay at your dc. Sometimes it's worth the effort, sometimes not.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 11-19-2013
Originally Posted by Elle:
I want what is best for my daycare home.....thinking about giving this family my 2 week notice.
That is what I generally do, too.

I deal mostly in medical/special needs.... but consistent violent behaviors are simply not something I can work with as a lone provider, with a group of kids of mixed ages.

I learned the hard way to not say "because he bites" or "he is violent" in any way to Mom's. Mom's seem to not be able to see it and it becomes an ugly exchange fast.

I now say "I can't meet his current needs with the dynamics of the group as a whole.".
TwinKristi 02:13 PM 11-19-2013
I have a different perspective because my son was the biter and I couldn't just term him or close my daycare. I talked to the parents, explained my dilemma and what I was doing to curb the behavior. One DCB was very possessive and often took toys and hit my DS. His response at 17-18 mos was to bite. Not ok but also not totally abnormal. He also bit another DCB who didn't provoke him and that was a lot more work. He still bites about once a week, but he says sorry, he sits in time out and helps get an ice pack for the friend he bit. The more he talks the better it gets. He bites the DCB who provokes him still but doesn't just randomly bite the other DCB. I'm glad the parents understand, both their dcb's have bit at one point but usually an isolated incident. If I had a parent demanding I term the biter than I would have to weigh the options and see what I could do with shadowing and preventing the situation until we can make progress in language development. In a child who is over 2.5-3yr that didn't respond to consequences would be term worthy to me.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 11-19-2013
I would term a biter. It's just not something I would be willing to deal with.

If I were a parent and the provider had a daycare child who bit or a child of her own that bit, I would pull my child out if the biting continued.

Normal or not, it is an aggressive act and one I simply will not tolerate (not as a parent and not as a provider).
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 11-19-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I have a different perspective because my son was the biter and I couldn't just term him or close my daycare. I talked to the parents, explained my dilemma and what I was doing to curb the behavior. One DCB was very possessive and often took toys and hit my DS. His response at 17-18 mos was to bite. Not ok but also not totally abnormal. He also bit another DCB who didn't provoke him and that was a lot more work. He still bites about once a week, but he says sorry, he sits in time out and helps get an ice pack for the friend he bit. The more he talks the better it gets. He bites the DCB who provokes him still but doesn't just randomly bite the other DCB. I'm glad the parents understand, both their dcb's have bit at one point but usually an isolated incident. If I had a parent demanding I term the biter than I would have to weigh the options and see what I could do with shadowing and preventing the situation until we can make progress in language development. In a child who is over 2.5-3yr that didn't respond to consequences would be term worthy to me.
...still bites about once a week?

Wow! You must have some extremely understanding parents.

Once would be one thing but once per week?!?

That's an awful lot of liability and something I would never be able to deal with.

Kudos to you for managing/dealing with that
Tags:biter, biting, biting policy
Reply Up