Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Do You Charge For Older Children?
Brookenbrandt 12:27 PM 06-03-2014
I currently have my monthly rates set for $500 a month for ages 2 and above. Someone was recently inquiring about bringing their 7 and 10 year olds to me over the summer. How much do I charge? Does the price decrease drastically with older children or do I keep my set rate?
Second Home 12:30 PM 06-03-2014
I charge the same , just because they are older does not mean you will have less work watching them , you may actually have to do more with them or plan different activities as they will easily become bored .
Brookenbrandt 12:48 PM 06-03-2014
I am not sure if it would even be a good idea to take them because I only have toddlers right now. I think that they might get bored. I don't have toys for older aged kids, or a TV. Also, they couldn't play outside because I wouldn't be able to take all of the babies out there while I supervised for very long.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 06-03-2014
I don't take school age kids but no matter what age a child is, they take up a space/spot.

I have limited spaces so each child in each space pays the regular full tuition amount regardless of attendance as rates are based on enrollment not attendance in my program.
BumbleBee 02:50 PM 06-03-2014
I charge the same for all ages. They're all work-just different kinds
Leigh 02:52 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Brookenbrandt:
I currently have my monthly rates set for $500 a month for ages 2 and above. Someone was recently inquiring about bringing their 7 and 10 year olds to me over the summer. How much do I charge? Does the price decrease drastically with older children or do I keep my set rate?

I don't take them, generally. I won't take them long-term, even though I do address it long-term in my rates. I charge 20% MORE for kindergarten and up. They cost more and they are more work. NO WAY would I do it for less.
Lucy 03:01 PM 06-03-2014
I charge the same amount.
TickleMonster 04:24 PM 06-03-2014
We used to give discounts for SA siblings but quit doing that this year because, if anything to me it is MORE work trying to keep the older ones occupied and not hear, "I'm bored!" every 5 minutes. So now the rates stay the same.
midaycare 06:58 PM 06-03-2014
I charge the same but SA are expected to help out with the little ones and also they work quite a bit on school-type work so they don't get rusty over the summer. It's not a free for all over here in the summer. Not that it's not fun, but ... they don't really get the chance to get bored, either.

They eat more, but they also are like a mini-assistant to me. Then again - I'm very picky about the SA I let in here. I have 4 this summer, and the interview process for that is intense.
jenn 07:49 PM 06-03-2014
I charge the same for every age. Little ones require more one on one attention, but bigger ones use more supplies and damage more things.

I don't usually take school age. I decided to take 2 girls this summer that I had previously watched. They are close to my daughter's age and it's only for part of the summer. YIKES! Nightmare! If I ever lose my mind and offer school age care again, I am going to charge $100 per day.
TaylorTots 08:12 PM 06-03-2014
They also eat MUCH more in my experience!
coolconfidentme 04:15 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
They also eat MUCH more in my experience!
TRUTH!!!! Especially the boys...
Reply Up