Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anti Bacterial Soap Info
Country Kids 07:04 AM 06-26-2014
Attended a CPR class a few weeks ago and meant to post sooner but forgot.

Mersa (sp) is on the rise and in our area I guess our ER alone is seeing 4-5 cases a day. I had actually heard this from another source before this class.

The reasoning for this is antibacterial soap according to the doctors/paramedics/etc.

Antibacterial soap takes away all the good germs, some of the bad germs and what is left on your hands is bad germs. Also the rise for sickness-our bodies are being depleted of germ fighting germs and left with all the yucky ones.

Its funny because I was in ER a few weeks ago-the doctor did not stop to wash hands, wear gloves. Outside of every door is foam soap but I didn't see anyone put it on.

I have actually heard from friends that went to dermatologists not to wash their hands so much-even after going to the bathroom unless you have a bowel movement.

I wonder if we would have less sickness in our childcares if we didn't wash hands so much?
midaycare 07:07 AM 06-26-2014
I heard the same thing in my CPR class. I've never been fond of antibacterial, so I don't use it. I'm not a crazy hand washer like some people, but I do wash my hands after I pee
CedarCreek 07:17 AM 06-26-2014
That's interesting info.

My Aunt recently had MRSA, it was a horrible experience for her.

I pulled this info from last year:
In May, the FDA announced on its website that it was reviewing antibacterial soaps and body washes. At the time, the website stated "the agency does not have evidence that triclosan in antibacterial soaps and body washes provides any benefit over washing with regular soap and water." Now the agency will give manufacturers approximately six months, June 2014, to respond to the planned regulation, which most likely will not be implemented for at least a year. Following, the FDA will finalize the rule and decide whether the products are "generally recognized as safe and effective" by September 2016.

Edit: That info came from this site: http://www.medicaldaily.com/antibact...-allergies-and
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Mersa (sp) is on the rise and in our area I guess our ER alone is seeing 4-5 cases a day. I had actually heard this from another source before this class.

The reasoning for this is antibacterial soap according to the doctors/paramedics/etc.

Antibacterial soap takes away all the good germs, some of the bad germs and what is left on your hands is bad germs. Also the rise for sickness-our bodies are being depleted of germ fighting germs and left with all the yucky ones.

Its funny because I was in ER a few weeks ago-the doctor did not stop to wash hands, wear gloves. Outside of every door is foam soap but I didn't see anyone put it on.

I have actually heard from friends that went to dermatologists not to wash their hands so much-even after going to the bathroom unless you have a bowel movement.

I wonder if we would have less sickness in our childcares if we didn't wash hands so much?
I refuse to use any anti-bacterial anything if I can help it.

I don't buy it's worth/value and I have eczema and the first thing my dermatologist told me was to stay away from triclosan.

Also, here is a FANTASTIC article from a few years ago about why we should avoid anti-bacterial soaps http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...part-two.aspx#!
CedarCreek 07:22 AM 06-26-2014
I do wash my hands quite a bit but I wouldn't say I was crazy about it. I am hardly ever sick.

My husband is sick a lot and he has to be crazy about washing his hands because of work. (Produce) But, he also works in a grocery store so his contact with the public is high.

I dont think that we are supposed to discourage hand-washing in general though, I believe its just the anti-bacterial soap that is in question.
NoMoreJuice! 07:22 AM 06-26-2014
I've been doing more research about it as well, but we still use it here in my house because I noticed a HUGE reduction in illness vs. using regular hand soap. Also, KS regulations are extremely clear about when to wash children's hands:

1. When they arrive in the morning, before they ever touch a toy
2. After using the restroom
3. After every diaper change (yes, even 6 weeks old have to use soap and water according to most surveyors)
4. Before and after eating meals
5. After handling pets (this one is tricky, as I have free-roaming cats that the kids play with, so realistically I could wash their hands 25 times a day for this alone)
6. After coming in from outside

Here's a fun example:

7:45 arrive at daycare, wash hands
8:00 breakfast
8:15 wash hands after breakfast
8:30 pet cat
8:35 wash hands
9:00 go outside
9:30 come inside (for a potty break), wash hands
9:32 use the restroom, wash hands
9:34 go back outside
10:15 come inside, wash hands
10:20 pet cat
10:25 wash hands
11:15 wash hands for lunch
11:20 lunch
11:40 wash hands after lunch
12:00 nap

I could go on, but I won't. This is what is expected of us in KS for one typical morning.
Meyou 07:24 AM 06-26-2014
We have one bottle of antibacterial soap in the house to wash my special need's dd's medical equipment and that is all it's used for. There is nothing wrong with soap and water to clean off all the bad germs without stripping off the good too.
Country Kids 07:30 AM 06-26-2014
So do they sell liquid soap that is just normal soap or do you have to buy bar soap?

Any brands right off the top of minds?
craftymissbeth 07:32 AM 06-26-2014
We don't use antibacterial soap here, but I'm concerned about the doctors/hospital staff not washing their hands between patients. Just because there's concern with antibacterial soap doesn't mean that they can't wash their hands with regular soap. I would honestly think that not washing hands at all would make the risk or spreading MRSA greater... but I'm not a doctor.
CedarCreek 07:35 AM 06-26-2014
I would check Softsoap, some of them arent antibacterial. And Tom's and Method maybe
Leigh 07:54 AM 06-26-2014
For those who avoid antibacterial soaps (and I think we all should): Check the ingredient list before you buy. I recently purchased a Dial brand hand soap, not labeled antibacterial, and when I read the ingredient list at home, triclosan was listed (Grr).
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 06-26-2014
So do they sell liquid soap that is just normal soap or do you have to buy bar soap?

Any brands right off the top of minds?
The Bath & Body Works near me just recently started selling the CleanWell brand of soaps. They make cleaners, hand soaps in pump styles and liquids as well as wipes and other products that do not contain triclosan

http://www.cleanwelltoday.com/
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 06-26-2014
Bath & Body Works revamped their 2014 line of soaps and dropped the anti-bacterial..

http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2014/0...ring-2014.html
KiddieCahoots 08:51 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Bath & Body Works revamped their 2014 line of soaps and dropped the anti-bacterial..

http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2014/0...ring-2014.html
I use these, and love them!

These do not have the "keep out of reach of children" warning on the back either, so licensing shouldn't have a problem.
CraftyMom 09:15 AM 06-26-2014
I bought my hand soap at the dollar tree specifically because it wasn't antibacterial. I just checked the ingredients, it does not have triclosan. It's the one with the sea turtles on the bottle
Heidi 09:21 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I refuse to use any anti-bacterial anything if I can help it.

I don't buy it's worth/value and I have eczema and the first thing my dermatologist told me was to stay away from triclosan.

Also, here is a FANTASTIC article from a few years ago about why we should avoid anti-bacterial soaps http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...part-two.aspx#!

I believe Minnesota just banned the sale of anti-bacterial soaps?
Blackcat31 09:22 AM 06-26-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I believe Minnesota just banned the sale of anti-bacterial soaps?
Yep!!

Being the land of 10,000 lakes we have ALOT to lose by killing off all the good germs.

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefi...bacterial-soap
TwinKristi 03:39 PM 06-26-2014
I use method now because of this and the lack of warning on the back!
Lucy 07:54 PM 06-26-2014

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that our society over washes our hands!! I mentioned that on the "Dr. Claire" thread. I'm almost always the odd man out on just about everything, so it's good to read that someone agrees, at least in part!!

Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying NOT to wash them after using a bathroom, diapering, etc. I just feel like routine, timed, scheduled hand washing is silly. And I don't think you necessarily need to do it before eating (if there's no good reason such as dirt, snot, etc. on your hands). There, I said it. A body NEEDS a little bit of the yuckies to give it the strength to fight off the REALLY BAD yuckies. I know people disagree and are probably appalled. I can take it. I'm NOT a filthy person, just so you know.
Tags:antibacterial, bacteria, good germs, triclosan
Reply Up