Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default WAC Changes 2012

I heard from another provider that they are lowering the infant ages to 18 mos, has anyone heard this? meaning if your only allowed 2 infants after they turn 18 mos they are not considered infants anymore...
She also said that they are bringing back so many hours req of stars training every year, which is something they forgot to add in last time ( at least in our state) so we havent had to do mandatory trainings every year.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I think it varies by State or locality.

Here, Infant = 12 months and under and we are allowed 4.

We also have a minimum of 10 annual training hours; two hours each of 5 specified competencies taught by a State approved trainer.

This is along with annual core competencies like CPR, First Aid, Child Abuse Recognition and Infectious Disease Control.

Easier said than done...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

As far as I know here in Michigan infants have always been birth through 18 months.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Here in MN it's under 12 months too. We can have no more than three under 2 and no more than two of the three can be under 1.

We have 8 hours of training per year, includes CPR/first aid/SIDS/SBS/car seat safety, etc. Used to be 6, but they changed it to 8 a couple years ago.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

here in NY we can only have 2 under 2.

how do you do it with 4 babies!?!?!?!?!?

(and we need 30 hours every two years, in ten different specified competencies.)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm in Washington also and hadn't heard about this. Looked it up....not easy to find.... but found this proposal

http://www.del.wa.gov/publications/l.../FHCCDraft.pdf It's way down the list on page 121.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

In IL, if we have 5 under 5 we can have 3 under 2. If we have 6 under 5 than 2 can be under 2.5. 2 over 5 can also be added to any of those scenarios.

So, I guess, depending on how many children we have, infants are considered either 2 or 2.5.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

Here in Wa it was 2 infants under age 2 per every adult, so with an assistant We are allowed a total of 4 infants under age 2. But thats suupose to change to age 18 mo, still the same amount per adult though.
Im suprised of how different it is in everyones state, I just figured it was all the same. Oh well ya learn something new everyday!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Child Care Provider

Happy Kids, you must be similiar to North Dakota. Back in October I believe it switched from 24 months to only 18 months old age to be considered an infant. This ONLY changed for centers, not home daycares. The theory behind this was that a home provider *Might* end up with the limit of 3 infants (0-18 months) and the other 4 *Might* be between 18-24 months which would be too many infants. The age for infants in family child care homes is still 24 months to avoid the above scenario.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

In Calif. an infant is considered under 24 months and we can have 4 babies but a max of 12 total kids with an assistant, but we must have at least 2 kids that are 6 or older or 14 kids and 2 babies with an assistant, or 8 by ourselves.(2 infants) or for the real crazy providers... 4 babies only (no other kids) and you can be by yourself with no assistant.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 AM
babyblues81679@yahoo.com

Smile infant caregiver

in washington the requirement is based off of square ft of your room we had 4 babies 3mths -11months and we were just told we had to go down to 3 because in the wac it states there must be 50 square ft per infant including there crib and we can have ages 1mth-12mth in infant room for 1 teacher . We also have required 10 hrs of training hrs a year 6 our employer has to pay for and 4 hrs we pay for
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare View Post
Here in Wa it was 2 infants under age 2 per every adult, so with an assistant We are allowed a total of 4 infants under age 2. But thats suupose to change to age 18 mo, still the same amount per adult though.
Im suprised of how different it is in everyones state, I just figured it was all the same. Oh well ya learn something new everyday!
Happykids,

I'm in WA too. Are you licensed? If you are, and are just finding this out, I'm so sorry. There are many more changes that will make your toes curl. PM me if you like.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Yes I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
In Calif. an infant is considered under 24 months and we can have 4 babies but a max of 12 total kids with an assistant, but we must have at least 2 kids that are 6 or older or 14 kids and 2 babies with an assistant, or 8 by ourselves.(2 infants) or for the real crazy providers... 4 babies only (no other kids) and you can be by yourself with no assistant.
I watched four infants under two when I first started. I thought it would be cute that they were all the same age growing up together. I would never do that again, I'm sure I lost some hair and still a little crazy from it.

Tags
ratios