Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Kids Today...Sure...Sure...
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:00 AM 05-22-2015
I have a new dcf starting on Tue. A baby born in March that wasn't supposed to start until the end of June, but DCM wants to go back to work ASAP. She has 5 weeks of vacay time that she has to burn before the end of 2015, and was going to initially use it to extend mat leave, but has decided she misses work and will use it up here and there "to get things done" while DCG is at dc instead. Just waiting for my teacher kid to go on summer break after today so she could start. No gap in income for me then, so yeah for me, boo for baby DCG.

For some reason or other, this is the 2nd DCF I indulged to come "hang out" and "observe" one day after enrolling. Well, DCM texted me yesterday asking if she could come "hang out" again today. I was not in the mood for new age parenting foolishness, I guess. I replied that when the kids were dropped off this morning, the parents all told me they were off today, so it looks like I should have an unexpected day off. Sorry, won't be available for you. See you on Tuesday for first day! And it's true. All 8 of my kids from 7 DCFs ARE off today...but only 2 DCFs kept their little joys home, so I still have 6 kids here today. But I am not in the mood to entertain a newborn and her mother, too.
hope 08:14 AM 05-22-2015
Sounds like new dcm may be a little overwhelmed with her new baby and wanted to take a free break. Good for you for dodging that.
Unregistered 08:29 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a new dcf starting on Tue. A baby born in March that wasn't supposed to start until the end of June, but DCM wants to go back to work ASAP. She has 5 weeks of vacay time that she has to burn before the end of 2015, and was going to initially use it to extend mat leave, but has decided she misses work and will use it up here and there "to get things done" while DCG is at dc instead. Just waiting for my teacher kid to go on summer break after today so she could start. No gap in income for me then, so yeah for me, boo for baby DCG.

For some reason or other, this is the 2nd DCF I indulged to come "hang out" and "observe" one day after enrolling. Well, DCM texted me yesterday asking if she could come "hang out" again today. I was not in the mood for new age parenting foolishness, I guess. I replied that when the kids were dropped off this morning, the parents all told me they were off today, so it looks like I should have an unexpected day off. Sorry, won't be available for you. See you on Tuesday for first day! And it's true. All 8 of my kids from 7 DCFs ARE off today...but only 2 DCFs kept their little joys home, so I still have 6 kids here today. But I am not in the mood to entertain a newborn and her mother, too.
Wow, nice.
Sugar Magnolia 11:36 AM 05-22-2015
I guess you have to decide if you will do test visits and observations or not. I think she assumed if it was ok once, it would be ok twice. I'm sure she is just nervous about putting her new baby in daycare. Or maybe she is having second thoughts, who knows?

I think unless you specifically tell prospective clients during your intwrview process that you don't and won't do trial days, pre enrollment visits or observations, they will either accept that or move on. I do get why a new mom and infant may want to do that. I did.

I have found scheduling new client tours is best after hours. Kids can come, look around, meet us, become familuar. The parents can ask as many questions as they like. I do NOT offer observations at all. I direct them to my FB page to see examples of our daily routine in action. But if folks ask for an obaervation, I only give them one option, come for the morning outside play period. Max one hour, and no trying to ask me questions and no interference with the activities. I don't feel good about outright denying brief visits. Current families know that we occasionally allow brief, unobtrusive visits from new clients. It's very rare, and I don't encourage them, especially for older kids, like 3+. Mostly for Littles, and new moms.

I totally get not wanting to do it today! And you're right that one visit should be enough.
I hope you can enjoy your long weekend! I hope all goes well for this little baby and you Tuesday. Happy Memorial Day!
Reply Up