Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Over-Exaggeration
spud912 05:11 PM 06-02-2011
So today I go to pick up a dcg (who is 2) and she starts immediately saying "owie, you hit me!" The only thing I can think of is that my nail may have touched her arm when I lifted her, but it was absolutely not hard enough to even hurt. The issue with this is that things have not been the greatest with the parents recently and now I'm worried she is going to go home and say that I hit her today. I tried distracting her for the remainder of the day, but her parents picked her up only 10 minutes after wards and it was still fresh in her mind. I told her when it happened "you silly girl, I was picking you up." It just really irritates me because she is the type of dc child who over-dramatizes things and frequently makes things up (for example, she often tells her parents that my child hits her all of the time). Grrrrr.........

Has this happened with any of you and how did you handle it?
daycare 05:22 PM 06-02-2011
I had a family that the daughter was about 2.5 and she would tell her parents I dont want to go to DC becuase (MY SON) is always hitting me every day.

The parents called me and asked what was up. SO I told them that my son who was also 2.5 had hit her but it happened weeks ago and has not happened since then. I told parents that I understood their concern and would be upset too if I my child was being hit all the time.

Later at pickup, I got down on my knees and said why did you tell mom and daddy that *** hits you everyday? She then siad, he did hit me one time a long time ago remeber...............

Got dropped
MommyMuffin 05:26 PM 06-02-2011
I tell the child in a firm voice, "I did not hit you, we do not lie." Then I leave it at that.

I have no patience for that behavior.
daycare 05:35 PM 06-02-2011
This too.............^^^^ what she said
SandeeAR 05:47 PM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I tell the child in a firm voice, "I did not hit you, we do not lie." Then I leave it at that.

I have no patience for that behavior.
Ditto. Once they are old enough to make up the lie, they are old enough to learn NOT to lie. I will put up with a lot, but NEVER lying.
countrymom 06:24 PM 06-02-2011
this happened yesterday. My ds (he's 8) and dcg (she's 6) were in the kitchen with my and my mdd. They were both talking to me and mdd and ds went in the daycare room and dcg ran after him, next thing I know, dcg comes running back saying ds punched her in the chest. I'm like "what" he just walked out of the room. So I call ds over and ask him what happened (I'll tell you why I asked him first) and he said that she ran into him trying to beat him in the room, he said he never touched her (and he wouldn't, its not his nature and he has 3 sisters who he's afraid of) so I go and ask dcg and she's saying that he starting punching her, and I told her flat out that this is not what happened and that I don't like it when she lies and I don't play games like this. She was taken a bit because I said that, then she went saulking in the corner because I called her out on it.
Well about 2 weeks ago, dcg and a bunch of the kids where outside playing, I was outside along with a dcm (we are good friends) and she was cutting my kids hair outside. Well gma comes and gets the dcg and the dcg starts saying how all the kids are mean, that no one wants to play with her, and they all hate her. So gma starts yelling "who said that I want to know" "who doesn't want to play with you" I just shoved her in the van and sent her on her way. So I come back to the back yard and dcm is like "did she just say that no one wanted to play with her and the kids are mean to her" I was like yup. We couldn't believe it, no one said anything, they were all playing together.
But this is not the first time, I use to watch her sick brother (the one that can't come back) and she use to tattle on him all the time to dad, kinda like playing the good child. Well loves to play this game with me, but I just call her out on it, I don't put up with it, she does it for attention but wants the other kids to get in trouble, she does it with my ydd too, its crazy.
sharlan 07:29 PM 06-02-2011
Put a stop to it ASAP.

Also make the parent aware of the over exaggeration. Document every episode - date, time, and comments.
QualiTcare 09:11 PM 06-02-2011
yup, i would use your "mean voice" when you let her know lying is not okay. then, i would bring this up to the parents while the child is right there. reason being - if she goes home and tells them you hit her and they confront you about it then it seems like you're lying or defending, etc. but if you bring it up to them, it pretty much shows that you have nothing to hide because you are the one who called attention to it. also, with the child standing right there they can ask her questions, etc. and the truth will come out on the spot as opposed to later at home when they're saying, "did she hit you like this?" or "did she have a rock in her hand when she hit you?" lol - you get the idea.

at the same time - i would do all this nonchalantly. i don't know your personality or relationship with the parents. if it were me, i'd say, "oh yeah, earlier today i was picking julie up and she said 'you hit me!' but i don't know what she was talking about unless my fingernail scraped her or something like that. i just thought i'd let you know incase she goes home and tells you i hit her! (laugh)" putting too much into it makes it suspicious also. there's no reason to apologize or drag it out.
Childminder 07:36 AM 06-03-2011
I tell the parents before the child does. "Dcg says I inadvertently hit/hurt her when I picked her up, I don't see any wounds or bruises but if you see anything let me know so I can make a report."
daycare 07:39 AM 06-03-2011
I have a little guy that just turned 2. Every time you ask him a question he will respond with:

daddy hit me
MIs *** hit me
sister hit me
DCK hit me

I don't know why, but I get this response for most things. It's been this answer for everything for almost 2 months now.

As soon as I heard it the first time, I told the parents right away. And just like Qualitycare said, I said it in a joking manner, but still got the point across
Tags:drama queen
Reply Up