Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm the Halloween Grinch....
Meeko 06:36 PM 10-30-2013
In the past, we decorated bags and the kids all brought treats to pass out and everyone took home a bag full of goodies.

The kids wore costumes.

But the last few years it's been anything but fun.

Little boys in super hero costumes seem to think it's OK to beat the crap out of each other while "in character"

A mom got super mad at me because her daughter's floor length dress got torn when another child stood on it. She thought I should pay for it. (nope!)

At the last candy exchange, we had 11 families enrolled. Four families brought treats. The others "forgot" but still made sure to ask that their child got a goody bag to go home.

Another child didn't have her costume and spent the day in tears because of it.

No more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent home a letter today. No costumes. No candy exchange.

Instead, we are going to have cake and ice-cream, paint faces, have a dance contest, games outside in the ton of leaves. Apple art and a movie and more treats. Everyone will be included. They can dress up at home.

Am I horrible?
Leanna 06:38 PM 10-30-2013
Nope. Can I come over?
AcornMama 07:01 PM 10-30-2013
Sounds lovely to me!
Lianne 07:22 PM 10-30-2013
I'm feeling grinchy too and guilty for it. I find holidays so over the top these days that I hate adding to the chaos, sugar crashes and miserable hangover the next day. I'm planning to paint pumpkins tomorrow and I have cupcakes defrosting to decorate but that's the extent of it, I think. We carved a pumpkin yesterday and played in the goo and seeds. We've been reading Hallowe'en stories all month and today we stuck stickers and coloured with markers on large paper bat and spiders

We aren't having mummy wrapped hot dogs, oranges with jack o'lantern faces, no cute costumes parades through old folks homes, no Hallowe'en movies, no cute hand or foot print crafts, nothing super messy, no goodie bags to send home.

The kids get enough candy from trick or treating, they don't need my goodie bag filled with the same crap the neighbours give them.

I don't have the energy or time to clean up anything messy on top of my regular daily chores.

Hand and foot print crafts are cute but *I* do those crafts, not the kids and I prefer the kids do the crafting themselves but at 18mos-2yrs that doesn't give many cute options.

By the time I were to dress all four kids (I ONLY have 4!) in their costumes and then undress them after whatever activity we partake in, I'll lose a good hour or more then add in the fighting over the pirate hat one child took from another and the face plant the youngest will do when he trips on his oversized, stuffed and too warm full piece costume and I break out in hives at the thought of saying yes to costumes. Plus, no old folk home wants 2yr olds with runny noses when they forget to catch their coughs until after they splutter all over.

My kids have no clue what a mummy is, hot dogs are gross and *I* peel their oranges so they'd never see the clever jack o'lantern faces I drew.

It sounds horrible but all these awesome ideas I read about just aren't worth my time and energy although I've considered doing several of them. So, move over on the Hallowe'en grinch couch because my rear end is huge and I need a spot
SilverSabre25 08:32 PM 10-30-2013
nah, not horrible. I dont' like doing things that require parental involvement. my parents don't really behave like I matter. I'm just the babysitter. And mostly I'm okay with that because it's less pressure in a lot of ways. But I think your plan sounds lovely.

I'm feeding everyone dinner tomorrow but only for my own convenience. ToT starts at 6 and my day ends anywhere between 5 and 6, DH gets off work at 5:30, and we don't ToT at home. We go to my sister's neighborhood (she's only 5 mintues away but still). I *hate* feeding my kids while the dck are here, and this will be a nice bonus for DCM. I might even make it a tradition.
JoseyJo 09:05 PM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
Sounds lovely to me!
Me too!

I'm actually feeling a little grinchy myself. I want to make tomorrow about the kids want and not about what the parents want!
Mister Sir Husband 09:36 PM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In the past, we decorated bags and the kids all brought treats to pass out and everyone took home a bag full of goodies.

The kids wore costumes.

But the last few years it's been anything but fun.

Little boys in super hero costumes seem to think it's OK to beat the crap out of each other while "in character"

A mom got super mad at me because her daughter's floor length dress got torn when another child stood on it. She thought I should pay for it. (nope!)

At the last candy exchange, we had 11 families enrolled. Four families brought treats. The others "forgot" but still made sure to ask that their child got a goody bag toI'm go home.

Another child didn't have her costume and spent the day in tears because of it.

No more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent home a letter today. No costumes. No candy exchange.

Instead, we are going to have cake and ice-cream, paint faces, have a dance contest, games outside in the ton of leaves. Apple art and a movie and more treats. Everyone will be included. They can dress up at home.

Am I horrible?

Not at all. My family doesn't celebrate Halloween at all. I did growing up as a kid, but since then my wife and don't do it for religious reasons. I'm still a couple weeks from opening so I didn't have to deal with explaining it to parents this year, but next year I will. I will prolly plan an "autum" themed week or something, but nothing that resembles today's traditional Halloween will be included.
Cradle2crayons 09:47 PM 10-30-2013
I think what you are doing is just fine!!

My kids school sent a parent note saying no costumes at school this year. My kids were sad though.
Lucy 09:53 PM 10-30-2013
Meeko, if all that fun stuff is considered being a Grinch, then I must be the devil himself! Seriously, you listed some great activities!!

I have really started doing less and less as the years go by. Not only for Halloween, but for all the holidays. I used to give them a goody bag for Easter, Valentine's and Halloween, used to buy individualized gifts for the kids AND parents for Christmas, had them do crafts and cookie decorating for various holidays, etc., etc. It never seemed appreciated by the parents, and the kids even seemed like they were just taking it for granted. The crafts were probably boring to them, and as Lianne said, I did the majority of the work.

So this year for Halloween -- not a thing. But I do have all older kids now (K thru 5th), so I really don't think they'll care. They probably won't even give it a thought.
Play Care 03:18 AM 10-31-2013
Not at all Grinchy! In years past I've had the kids dress in costume - I've even told parents not to use the costume they were wearing for ToT'ing just in case, but no one ever listens...Last year one of our guys lost his glove that went with his costume. Since he's also a neighbor I got to hear several times while out with my own kids "did you find my glove yet?!" His mom shushed him and told him to stop, but still...

Anyway I've been thinking that this will be the last year for costumes.
Kaddidle Care 04:18 AM 10-31-2013
I think what you are doing is wonderful! Let the Parents enjoy dressing up their children and Trick or Treating with them. (And all that comes with it.)

It sounds like fun without being over the top! I always worried about the kids ruining their costumes at the Party because of the brightly colored cupcake frostings that stain everything.

Not grinchy at all dear. It's very well thought out and you have a busy day planned.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:29 AM 10-31-2013
I guess I am really the grinch because I haven't planned anything. Actually I have kind of a quiet day today, only 4 kids. Tomorrow is my son's 17th birthday and I am making cupcakes for the littles (I rarely give them sweets) I wanted them to be able to have his "party" with him. They all love him. So I wasn't going to do anything today and then do that tomorrow.
Familycare71 04:38 AM 10-31-2013
I agree- I will have cupcakes today- we are going to color simple paper masks and maybe a pumpkin face project...
I also got them glow sticks instead of candy treats.
coolconfidentme 05:08 AM 10-31-2013
Grinch here too. We do around the clock care & would have to have 4 or 5 parties to be able to included everyone. When the parents asked I told them the library was having a party from 4-6. (gulp)
LK5kids 05:48 AM 10-31-2013
I was on the verge of "grinch-Dom" but caved at the last minute! Ended up doing costumes....your activities sound awesome. Have fun!
MotherNature 05:58 AM 10-31-2013
not at all-sounds like you're still having a bunch of fun activities.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 10-31-2013
I AM a Halloween witch...LOL!!

My kids are having candy and treats ALL day! We are skipping nap time, eating pizza for lunch, beating a piņata`to death for even MORE candy, having a costume parade, TONS of games, dancing and basically having a free-for-all for the day.

I am seriously putting bowls/trays of goodies out on the table for the kids and they are welcome to eat what they want when they want.....and as much as they want.

TONS of fun and Halloween music, dancing and wild and crazy behaviors!

Why?! Why in the world would I be so crazy?!?! Have I lost my mind??!?!

No, NOT at all. I am actually OFF for the next few days so....

(*I kind of figure, that's how most my parents bring their children to daycare on regular days so I kind of owe them....don't ya think? )

@Meeko......TOTALLY understand.

This "gimme" generation is really tough to deal with. EVERY day has been made into some sort of reason for the kids to expect something...

I have one DCK, that I swear his mom gives him a treat/reward for waking up everyday... *sigh*
KDC 06:02 AM 10-31-2013
I'm not officially a grinch this year except when it comes to sending 45 'goodie' bags to the elementary school with my own kids. I know they'll end up in the landfill and who needs to throw their $$ away? I do something nice for birthdays when they're aren't getting crap in masses.

I have planned a small parade with kids in their costumes Really though... it's for the parents - the kids are somewhat excited, but nowhere near as excited as the parents. I will record a portion for the Christmas present DVD project. And I will take a bunch of pictures, but it's a blip in time. We've been doing crafts all week and saved the easiest for last. I did the witch footprint the other day and the parents gushed...I did it all, just used their foot.

Paints a lovely picture though for the website, and parents. Kids will be rushing around all day and probably be nightmares tomorrow. Tomorrow I will need a movie day to recover. LOL!

I wanna come to Meeko's party. I'm doing something else next year. I leave for Disney in a couple of days and all this planning and mess is making me a GRINCH. Bah Humbug.
countrymom 06:36 AM 10-31-2013
I did buy a some candy to hand out to my kids, but I'm not in the mood this year. Most years I've decorated but I'm just finding that I run out of time to do things. I also have only 2 kids on thursdays so its not fun anymore. I have one parent who brings treats every year and no other parent.
SSWonders 08:42 AM 10-31-2013
Not horrible at all. I've scaled back the last two years as well. For starters they are going out tonight and will have enough costume and candy time. We explored and made a Jack-O-Lantern with one pumpkin and then they each decorated their own small pumpkin that they can take home. We pulled out the Halloween felt board, books and a movie. Snack is little powdered donuts (not our norm) and juice on Halloween plates. Just enough but not too much.
BumbleBee 08:55 AM 10-31-2013
I made halloween cookies. One for each kid. We're not doing anything else.
Josiegirl 11:08 AM 10-31-2013
I ended up having 7 kids today, and have downplayed the whole Halloween experience a little bit. The kids and I created a skeleton veggie platter with dip, and served pears/apples with a pumpkin dip, then meatballs and noodles. That was our lunch. We played Find the Gourd this a.m. But the 2 and under crowd didn't care, merely set about destroying the playroom like always; and the 5 yo got all upset when her older sister was finding them all. The littler ones were falling asleep in their lunches. Two of the little ones have costumes in the backpacks which I haven't even taken out yet. oops. I like to see them all dressed up but then it does become a real hassle and risky if anything happens to them.
Right now 4 kids are watching Bear in the Big Blue House Halloween video, and 3 are sleeping. Having cupcakes right in time for them to leave!

I really like the idea of doing all kinds of crafts and things before the actual day, then forget it on THE day.
Heidi 11:10 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I guess I am really the grinch because I haven't planned anything. Actually I have kind of a quiet day today, only 4 kids. Tomorrow is my son's 17th birthday and I am making cupcakes for the littles (I rarely give them sweets) I wanted them to be able to have his "party" with him. They all love him. So I wasn't going to do anything today and then do that tomorrow.
I didn't do a darn thing, other than wear a black turtleneck today. My guys are so little, anyway. We already had a birthday party for the oldest one (2) on Tuesday. ok, we ate cupcakes and sang happy birthday, That was the party...

The only thing I regret: I realized yesterday that it would have been fun to make all the kids into garden gnomes for Halloween and take pictures. Too late to plan it, though...
My3cents 11:15 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I AM a Halloween witch...LOL!!

My kids are having candy and treats ALL day! We are skipping nap time, eating pizza for lunch, beating a piņata`to death for even MORE candy, having a costume parade, TONS of games, dancing and basically having a free-for-all for the day.

I am seriously putting bowls/trays of goodies out on the table for the kids and they are welcome to eat what they want when they want.....and as much as they want.

TONS of fun and Halloween music, dancing and wild and crazy behaviors!

Why?! Why in the world would I be so crazy?!?! Have I lost my mind??!?!

No, NOT at all. I am actually OFF for the next few days so....

(*I kind of figure, that's how most my parents bring their children to daycare on regular days so I kind of owe them....don't ya think? )

@Meeko......TOTALLY understand.

This "gimme" generation is really tough to deal with. EVERY day has been made into some sort of reason for the kids to expect something...

I have one DCK, that I swear his mom gives him a treat/reward for waking up everyday... *sigh*
I love Halloween- We have done all kinds of things. I too am a witch- have the hat on and all, no really I do come from line of witches somewhere in my genealogy. I prefer to think of myself as a good witch......lol, at least most days.

I agree with the gimme generation. I do because I want to do, and I don't worry about the rest. BC's day sounds like mine except my kids are doing nap time, because the parents want to take them out tonight and they will appreciate that. They are not eating tons of junk food, I did get creative with my breakfast and lunches but with healthy stuff. They will get enough of that at home. My parents participate. IF they don't I don't worry about it. I dress them up, we dance, we have done a bunch of Halloween fun stuff, like painting pumpkins and carving- well I carved but they gutted. We have watched TV today- that is a treat to them! PBS has all Halloween programming going on. Parents usually pick up early and its been a busy but fun day.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:23 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I didn't do a darn thing, other than wear a black turtleneck today. My guys are so little, anyway. We already had a birthday party for the oldest one (2) on Tuesday. ok, we ate cupcakes and sang happy birthday, That was the party...

The only thing I regret: I realized yesterday that it would have been fun to make all the kids into garden gnomes for Halloween and take pictures. Too late to plan it, though...
LOL! When I said "party" I mean cupcakes at the end of snack time and singing Happy Birthday!
itlw8 12:03 PM 10-31-2013
Keeping it calm today. We did have a witch on our plate at lunch... Bad me said.. We do not want to be too cranky to go trick or treating tonight and all of them are asleep... YEAH> I have some fancy napkins for snack but no sweets. we will do that tomorrow when I will have two SA kids.

They have been playing trick or treat today and making costumes from the dress up clothes.
harperluu 02:00 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Actually I DO have a dcm that gives her kids two large marshmallows each morning. It makes them happy, she says. I don't do much for the holidays. We did playdoh today and sang some pumpkin related finger plays. It's not my job to make holiday memories for their children. Maybe that's offensive, but I do enough by practically raising them. It's just how I feel at the moment.
Tags:grinch, halloween
Reply Up