Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Anyone Else Open Monday?
daycarediva 03:20 AM 05-24-2013
I stayed open (only 10 paid days off, didn't want to waste it)

and it looks like I will have ONE dcb. Of course, the one that's really a handful too, especially when his friends aren't around AND he is an open-closer (they pay extra for the additional hour, even though they aren't working) so it's an 11 hour day.

I feel like offering her a refund and saying that I have decided to close. I KNOW she and dcd aren't working that day, but they were the FIRST to return the sheet saying dcb would be here.
LoraJenkins 04:14 AM 05-24-2013
I am also open Monday and only have my "handful" child coming. He is my only drop-in child and has trouble with adjusting. Yesterday it was hitting the older children (he is 18 months old) and running inside. At least Monday he will be the only child here so, no one to hit:-)
Sunchimes 04:24 AM 05-24-2013
I'm open, but I still don't know if I'm having any kids. I may have 1, may have 2, or may have 3. May have none. Everyone has to "ask Dad, husband, boyfriend," before they decide. Come on people, it's Friday. I need some info here.

I think that they all know but they resent paying for a day they won't use and hate to admit that I'm getting a day off.
DaisyMamma 04:39 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I stayed open (only 10 paid days off, didn't want to waste it)

and it looks like I will have ONE dcb. Of course, the one that's really a handful too, especially when his friends aren't around AND he is an open-closer (they pay extra for the additional hour, even though they aren't working) so it's an 11 hour day.

I feel like offering her a refund and saying that I have decided to close. I KNOW she and dcd aren't working that day, but they were the FIRST to return the sheet saying dcb would be here.
CLOSE!!!!! You deserve it!
choirlady76 04:47 AM 05-24-2013
My preschool/center is closed Monday, we're open Saturday however. We have alot of parents who work and need our services.
choirlady76 04:48 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I agree, give yourself a break!!
daycarediva 05:32 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm open, but I still don't know if I'm having any kids. I may have 1, may have 2, or may have 3. May have none. Everyone has to "ask Dad, husband, boyfriend," before they decide. Come on people, it's Friday. I need some info here.

I think that they all know but they resent paying for a day they won't use and hate to admit that I'm getting a day off.
I gave everyone a deadline of Thursday/yesterday at pickup to return the form letting me know. If they didn't, they couldn't come. This dcm filled in the sheet that he would be coming right then. GRRR.

Yes, I really think with this family it boils down to 'they paid for it', hence why I am probably going to tell her that I didn't have any interest and am giving her a refund for the day.
hope 05:39 AM 05-24-2013
I gave everyone a deadline of Thursday/yesterday at pickup to return the form letting me know. If they didn't, they couldn't come. This dcm filled in the sheet that he would be coming right then. GRRR.

Yes, I really think with this family it boils down to 'they paid for it', hence why I am probably going to tell her that I didn't have any interest and am giving her a refund for the day.
Close! You are not going to inconvenience them if they do not work. Take the day for yourself.
CedarCreek 05:39 AM 05-24-2013

Yup. I would say that they were the only ones interested and I would like to spend time with my family as i'm sure they would too. Therefore,I will be closed.

That would really irritate me!

I have it in my policies that i'm off on memorial day, paid. However in our May newsletter I forgot to put a reminder in there. Now I have the awkward pleasure of having to remind them as they go out the door today.

Yay.. :/
sally 05:42 AM 05-24-2013
Nope, my dc kids are out today (their schedule changes every week) and I took off Saturday and Monday. So I will enjoy my nice 4 day weekend. They don't happen very often!
TheGoodLife 05:53 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Agreed! Or at least tell them an appointment came up and you are closing at an earlier time.
dave4him 06:06 AM 05-24-2013
My partner says we are closed. When she says it, it is.
sharlan 08:18 AM 05-24-2013
I'm closed. None of my parents are working that day, but it wouldn't matter, I'd still be closed.
wdmmom 08:22 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm closed. None of my parents are working that day, but it wouldn't matter, I'd still be closed.

I wouldn't offer the option to watch DCB if the parents are off! They can tend to their own child for a day!

The spread from New Years to now is soooo long without a day off! Take the day! You deserve it!!!
daycare 08:39 AM 05-24-2013
I stay open sometimes on holiday and I require that I must have at least 3 families sign up for care. If I don't get 3 families to sign up, then I don't open.
Childminder 09:03 AM 05-24-2013
I'm open. Lot's of single parents that work retail and we have no plans that the children can't join in.
daycarediva 10:08 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

I wouldn't offer the option to watch DCB if the parents are off! They can tend to their own child for a day!

The spread from New Years to now is soooo long without a day off! Take the day! You deserve it!!!
I have a four day weekend in July. That still seems forever away.
littlemissmuffet 10:13 AM 05-24-2013
CLOSE!!!!!!! Tell her at pick up today!
My3cents 10:23 AM 05-24-2013
you need to close and take a day for yourself. They are far and few between and they are like breaths of fresh air. I love my kids, but I like my off time too.
williams2008 03:25 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Exactly!!
LoraJenkins 03:04 PM 05-25-2013
Woohoo! I just received a text stating that my "handful" child will be with his Dad Monday (he was the only one scheduled)! SO I get an Unexpected day off (my ONLY day off in the past 3 weeks). I don't know what I am going to do with myself!!!!!
daycarediva 03:08 PM 05-25-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Woohoo! I just received a text stating that my "handful" child will be with his Dad Monday (he was the only one scheduled)! SO I get an Unexpected day off (my ONLY day off in the past 3 weeks). I don't know what I am going to do with myself!!!!!
YAY!

I got it off, too! Dh bought me the wine I liked at the tasting he took me to last night, and I will be enjoying that Monday in a lounge chair with my family around me!
Cradle2crayons 08:27 AM 05-26-2013
I've found since I went to contracted working days with an actual schedule a month ahead of time....

I've found it really cuts down on parents asking me to work on days THEY are off work...

If there is a schedule change from the computer printed one, I require it to be IN WRITING, on the company letterhead, signed by her boss.

That being said, I work on all holidays EXCEPT Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Patches 07:27 AM 05-27-2013
I'm open and I almost got the day off. Had two show up. One of them I know both parents are working and the other one I know both parents are off. Irked me a little but I don't require parents to be working to bring their kids
Play Care 07:35 AM 05-27-2013
Memorial Day is a "big" holiday here, so the majority get it off. I close without a thought Typically I don't close for Columbus Day or Veterans Day because most people do work those days. I separate my paid holidays from paid personal days (I don't lump them under one "paid time off" category) because I think otherwise it would appear as if I take tons of "personal" time off rather then some personal time and some major holidays paid.
But I learned my lesson long ago- if you are open someone will come!
Patches 08:22 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Memorial Day is a "big" holiday here, so the majority get it off. I close without a thought Typically I don't close for Columbus Day or Veterans Day because most people do work those days. I separate my paid holidays from paid personal days (I don't lump them under one "paid time off" category) because I think otherwise it would appear as if I take tons of "personal" time off rather then some personal time and some major holidays paid.
But I learned my lesson long ago- if you are open someone will come!
Yep, I'm still learning. I definitely need to add this one to my list of paid holidays, because most of my families just said, "See you Tuesday" at pick up on Friday. And a couple asked, "You're closed Monday, right?"
Reply Up