Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Liability Question
Mom2TLE 08:12 AM 03-12-2014
Dcg 6 chose to get on the bus going to her house rather than the bus that comes to daycare yesterday. She told the other dcg that she was going to sneak and go home. I had 8 kids so no way to go get her. Mom can not have a cell at work, dad lives 2 hours away and emergency contacts phone was disconnected. I left a message with her work to get her a message. So where does liability lie with this sort of situation? Is it my responsibility because she was supposed to be coming here?
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
Dcg 6 chose to get on the bus going to her house rather than the bus that comes to daycare yesterday. She told the other dcg that she was going to sneak and go home. I had 8 kids so no way to go get her. Mom can not have a cell at work, dad lives 2 hours away and emergency contacts phone was disconnected. I left a message with her work to get her a message. So where does liability lie with this sort of situation? Is it my responsibility because she was supposed to be coming here?
Your responsibility begins when child steps foot on your property.

You can NOT be in charge or be responsible for what she chooses to do when not in your care.

I would absolutely call mom's work and page her. Tell her what you know and let her take care of it.
daycare 08:22 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
that is a great question. Wondering if the school has any responsibility in this.

my oldest son took the bus when he was in the 6th grade. he and some of the other kids at the bus stop one day decided to walk to school one day, I was not aware of this.

the bus driver went and found them and took them all into the principal where we were all called. He and the other kids got suspended from riding the bus for the rest of the week and all of us parents had to take them to school. The driver said that the kids were her responsibility until they got to and from school, basically saying they were the responsibility of the school.

what did the parents say?
TwinKristi 08:38 AM 03-12-2014
I've always been told that the school is responsible for the child until they are met by a parent on the school grounds or arrive home. Kids used to get in trouble at school for getting in fights after getting off the bus but before going home. They stated they're still their responsibility until they go home. You should call mom, call the school, etc and let them know about his AND have mom provide a current emergency contact. Reading that so many times about emergency contacts scares me!!
llpa 08:40 AM 03-12-2014
If the school district knows she should be on the bus to you, then that is where she should have gone! How did she even talk them into going on her own bus to home??! that's pretty scary that no one on bus duty caught that!!
Second Home 08:55 AM 03-12-2014
Here the school is responsible until the child gets off at the address on file , whether it be home or daycare . Once they get off the bus then it is the parents ( or providers ) who is responsible for the child .

Is seems this would be the schools fault and the DCM needs to contact the school .

I have 1 DCM who constantly forgets to tell me her child will not be coming after school , playdates are set up during the day with friends and her son goes there instead . It is frustrating and I feel it is my responsibility to know where the child is but she just does not get it .
Tags:liability, public schools, public transportation issues, school bus
Reply Up