Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Infant "Curriculum"
melissadee45 06:49 PM 02-22-2012
Hi! I'm a newbie. My MIL is opening her own daycare this summer and I will be the lead teacher for pre-k as well as curriculum coordinator. I'm starting to get curriculum together (we have chosen Creative Curriculum) and I will be taking early childhood classes as a refresher. I currently teach high school - have for the last 6 years. It's been 8 years since any of my early childhood courses and since I decided high school was the way. This is a shift for me, but I'm confident I can do this. I'm not against researching and working hard to get this right. I'm curious how you set up an infant curriculum. Do you base it on developmental milestones at different ages/stages? Do you mix that with learning songs/pictures? Could you set a daily schedule curriculum for infants? It seems as though you would sort of just have to focus on developmental stages. Help, please.
Beach Baby 09:45 PM 02-25-2012
Hmm. This is a good question! I've been thinking about it and having a hard time thinking of how I would set up a curriculum for infants for someone else to follow. I do think it has to be milestone or age based because there is a huge difference in the capabilities of, say, an 11 month old compared to a newborn. If I had to write an infant curriculum, I would probably try breaking it down into age groups. Perhaps, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, and 9-12 months. I would determine what milestones each age group should be working on and figure out activities from there. Infants are constantly learning about the world around them, so you definitely have a lot to work with!
Tags:curriculum - age appropriate, curriculum - toddlers, milestones
Reply Up