Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Red Cross CPR
KEG123 08:53 AM 08-12-2011
So has anyone else noticed that their prices skyrocketed? This is going to be my first re-certification, and I called just now to find out the cost and dates thinking it would be cheaper than last year since last year was my first time in many years (and I also had to take first aid last time too) but I swear last year it was only like $55 for both classes. This year, it looks like it's $70-90 for JUST the CPR re-cert. I asked if prices got raised and she said yes, but couldn't say how much. Wow! I'm shocked they went up so much!
MyAngels 08:57 AM 08-12-2011
You should check into the American Heart Association online training. I did it for the first time last year and it was super easy. I can't remember the exact cost, but I did all of the class stuff online and then just went in for the challenge (I do remember that was $20), which took less than 1/2 of an hour, and I was the only one there. It's also good for two years, which is nice.

You can also do the challenge only with the Red Cross, which I think is cheaper, as long as your certification is current and not expired.
Meeko 08:59 AM 08-12-2011
Our fire dept. does a really relaxed course that is half the price of the Red Cross.
MG&Lsmom 09:00 AM 08-12-2011
Yes. They almost tripled! My husband is a Red Cross instructor. It costs him $20 for each certificate he issues. So he now charges $50/person for recerts. He used to charge $25. They even moved all the certificate stuff online and he no longer has to have cards mailed to him. He can print them directly. Less work for them AND they are charging more. It's ridiculous!
MarinaVanessa 09:08 AM 08-12-2011
Hmm, I just did my recert a few months back and they tried charging me $95 which I thought was the same amount as the first time I ever did it which included the CA preventative health and safety course we had to take but never expires. Turns out they signed me up for all 3 classes again instead of the 2 that I needed. I ended up paying only $65 for both courses. I wonder why there's a difference? Make sure they aren't tacking on extra courses that you don't need, you never know. I did mine in April.
MyAngels 09:12 AM 08-12-2011
I just checked - the AHA was $20 for the CPR/AED/Infant CPR online course and $25 for the First Aid course, plus $20 for the onsite testing, so considerably cheaper than the Red Cross at $110 for both CPR and First Aid.
MG&Lsmom 09:18 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Hmm, I just did my recert a few months back and they tried charging me $95 which I thought was the same amount as the first time I ever did it which included the CA preventative health and safety course we had to take but never expires. Turns out they signed me up for all 3 classes again instead of the 2 that I needed. I ended up paying only $65 for both courses. I wonder why there's a difference? Make sure they aren't tacking on extra courses that you don't need, you never know. I did mine in April.
Potentially, but they just raised the rates in July. My husband does 100s of certs a summer for local lifeguards and a boating company. He had to go back to his friend who owned the boating company because the price he quoted him in June nearly tripled for the July classes.
daycare 09:21 AM 08-12-2011
I paid over $200 for mine, but someone came to my home to do it. My husband is certified to do it, but my licensor said that it would be a conflict f interest to have him pass me...
snbauser 10:47 AM 08-12-2011
I did mine a few months ago and the price was the same. BUT our Resource agency has a deal with Red Cross so not sure how that will impact the cost and our Red Cross cert is now good for two years instead of one.
justgettingstarted 10:51 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You should check into the American Heart Association online training. I did it for the first time last year and it was super easy. I can't remember the exact cost, but I did all of the class stuff online and then just went in for the challenge (I do remember that was $20), which took less than 1/2 of an hour, and I was the only one there. It's also good for two years, which is nice.

You can also do the challenge only with the Red Cross, which I think is cheaper, as long as your certification is current and not expired.
In my state we aren't allowed to do any online training. Have you tried going through your local park and rec district? That's where I just did my training, it was $50 for CPR and first aid.
MsMe 10:58 AM 08-12-2011
I just re-tested two weeks ago for $27....and that was a lady who came to my daycare and tested just mt partner and I (54 total). She did a quick review, we tested and it was over.

I would be really unhappy if it cost me what it does some of you!
MarinaVanessa 12:11 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Potentially, but they just raised the rates in July. My husband does 100s of certs a summer for local lifeguards and a boating company. He had to go back to his friend who owned the boating company because the price he quoted him in June nearly tripled for the July classes.
Yep I checked earlier also and I noticed this too. At least my certificates are good for 2 years.
KEG123 12:34 PM 08-12-2011
Is this what I'd do? http://www.procpr.org/en/
MyAngels 12:50 PM 08-12-2011
Not all CPR certifications are created equal in Illinois. When I called my licensor she said only American Heart Association and American Red Cross were accepted, but as with everything else, it may depend on who you ask .

I used http://www.onlineaha.org/ for the online training portion. If I remember correctly you had to specifically ask for the infant portion, as it does not automatically give you access, but it did not cost any extra. I did the challenge portion at a local hospital. Definitely check to see if there is one near you before going this route, though.

If you are confident enough in your previous training you could always check with either the Red Cross or AHA offices near you and see if you can just do the challenge to renew your certification. I do that every other time I have to renew, just because after all these years I can basically do everything in my sleep. I do like to take the class every other time just in case there is anything new that I'm not aware of.
KEG123 05:01 PM 08-12-2011
I don't really LIKE taking the class, but since I'm such a new provider and my last training (aside from last year) was at least 5 years prior, I do think it will be beneficial to me to take it. Plus it counts towards my training hours anyways. I just hate the price tag.
Abigail 06:20 PM 08-13-2011
WOW at all those rates! My dh and I just took our CPR course. It was with our local ambulance and it covered: adult cpr, child cpr, infant cpr, and AED. It was 2 1/2 hours (scheduled for 3 hours) and cost us each $35. It's valid for 2 years and I should receive my card in the mail later this week. I would be very upset if it would cost much more. Our First Aid is good for three years, so I've got another year before re-testing.
Unregistered 06:38 PM 08-13-2011
In NYS we luck out - for several years now there have been grants which allow registered day care providers to take Red Cross CPR and First Aid classes FREE. Hope this continues!!!
Tags:cpr, cpr - red cross, cpr certified
Reply Up