Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This An Age Appropriate Skill?
Sunchimes 06:28 AM 01-31-2012
My degree, and experience is in elementary ed. Decades ago, I worked at the university pre-school, but even then, I worked with the older kids. I have no experience with the age group I have now--17 month olds, so I'm always wondering if they are geniuses or if all kids this age can do the same things or more. I may pop in now and then and just ask you guys.

I have about 15 board books. From the beginning, I've called them the dog book, Tigger book, bubble book, dance book, whatever. Around Thanksgiving, they started identifying the books correctly-they would have been about 14-15 months old. I noticed it when, in an attempt to re-direct, I told one of them to go get the bubble book so we could read. She pawed through the basket until she found the bubble book. I never really meant for her to do it, it was just a distraction. The other girls can do the same thing now. With 2, it's about 95% accuracy, but for one, it's 100%. Sometimes, they will bring me a book and hand it to me saying "dog". And it is the dog book!

I'm wondering, is this typical for this age? Can someone recommend a book that will teach me this sort of thing? I have the info that is broad "stack 2 blocks, walk unaided, point to a picture", but I was wishing for something more detailed. Or I can keep coming to the experts and ask you whenever I wonder. You probably have more real life exposure to the kids than the authors. ;-)
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 01-31-2012
I think it is absolutely age appropriate! I have a dcg right now who is 13 months old and she can carry on a conversation with you in full sentences (with great clarity) as if she was 3 or 4 yrs old.

I think kids (toddlers especially) know A LOT more than we give them credit for. They understand 100% of what is said to them but can usually only express 50% of what they are thinking, feeling or doing...hence the temper tantrums or "terrible two's"...kwim?

I don't have any book recommnedations off the top of my head but if I think of any, I will PM you.
Sunchimes 06:45 AM 01-31-2012
Thanks!! I'm seeing that every day. I've almost quit thinking of them as babies and just talk to them like I would anyone else, and it's amazing how often they get it. But darn, I liked the idea of a roomful of geniuses.

I sort of laughed at the sign language thing at first, but I've really seen it make a difference. When they want water, instead of whining, they show me. It's made a difference here. Funny note: Two of my kids were here last week and the week before as the only one here. Their schedule blended yesterday and there was much crying whining and clinging. Just as it started to disintegrate into a battle, I sat them down and told them that they were friends (using the friends sign) and they would not fight. And it sort of worked. They both made the friends sign, and things calmed down a little. May have been a coincidence.
SandeeAR 08:49 AM 01-31-2012
If you have a Childrens Theraphy clinic close by, they could probably help you. My DD is a Childrens PT. She got me a copy of their "Skills Sheet". It was for PT, OT and speech. It shows at what age different skill sets begin. If you ask them for one (tell them you are doing daycare), they would probably have a similar sheet and let you have a copy.

It has helped me a LOT. I'm 52 and it has been a long time since I had "littles" in the house.
Ariana 09:22 AM 01-31-2012
Normal comprehension at this age is quite astounding!! Usually language and comprehension don't match up so it's surprising when they know how to do this stuff!! I have a DCG who only has about 10 workds she uses consistantly but can follow 2-3 step instructions perfectly
Sunchimes 09:31 AM 01-31-2012
I wish we did. We don't even have a pediatrician in this town. Maybe I could email a children's hospital in the metroplex or something. Or I can just keep letting them surprise me with their skills.
Sunchimes 09:32 AM 01-31-2012
Ariana, it's fun isn't it? I love seeing them start doing things I had no idea they knew.
Ariana 09:42 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Ariana, it's fun isn't it? I love seeing them start doing things I had no idea they knew.
A great game that we play is "find the toy" in the room. Hide a toy and then get them to find it by giving hints. Be a bit specific at first (you want them to have fun, not get frustrated) and then gradually make it harder and harder. I'm doing this with my 2.5 year old in the evening and she loves it!! We started with a pink piggy bank "hidden" in plain view and gave a specific hint like "it's on the black table" then gradually started really hiding it and giving vague hints.

We also play a game where they pretend they're squirrels and I hide cut out acorns all over the room for them to find!
cheerfuldom 09:51 AM 01-31-2012
I think a lot of people underestimate kids that age. They just assume that they will display babyish behaviors until age 4 and so they dont try to expect anything else from them.
Sunchimes 09:57 AM 01-31-2012
I have a lot of musical toys because I started on the cheap, and the only thing people around here put into garage sales are the battery things. Not sure if that's the only kind they buy (it's all they have at WM-our only place to shop) or they don't give up the good stuff). Anyway, my kids know which toy plays which song. I can sing "Do you know the muffin man" and they run to the ride on truck. I sing "She'll be coming round the mountain" and they go to the train. We have a lot of fun with that.
Meyou 10:05 AM 01-31-2012
I have a 20 month old who knows at least 50 signs. She is remarkably unscreamy for her age because she has the ability to communicate most needs to me. If she didn't have those signs I know each of those needs would be a scream. She can even string the signs together now. I'm trying to teach my babies her signs so I can continue the quiet when they reach toddlerhood.
Sunchimes 10:19 AM 01-31-2012
I lost one of my Signing Time videos during the holidays. I know I just tucked it somewhere out of the way when I was cleaning, but now I can't find it. I'm going to have to have a good clean to figure out where I put it or buy another one. We enjoy it too much and I have another baby coming in soon. Six weeks is probably too young to start, but I don't want to waste an opportunity. ;-) I love baby signing!
Heidi 10:35 AM 01-31-2012
I would say, it's an awesome testimont that you are reading to those toddlers!

Now I feel guilty!
Tags:age appropriate, age appropriate - skill, reading
Reply Up