Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help with Teachers and Summer Off
niki6925 10:24 AM 09-08-2010
Long story but i am moving out of rochester to buffalo ny and have to reopen my daycare there. I have a family with 3 children (newborn, 2 and 3) that would like to use me for daycare. I have never had a teachers schedule to follow with my daycare in rochester. i have no idea what to do about summers off??? they want it off with just a deposit to hold spot. I have 2 children of my own that count in my daycare so that only leaves me 1 other spot open for income in the summer. i am looking for teacher contracts?? please help
thanks!
anappleadaycare 10:30 AM 09-08-2010
i charge half of my regular weekly rate to hold the spot for the summer and then use the spot for drop in care to make up the difference i always like to have a lighter load in the summer so that i can do more with my own school agers.
Carole's Daycare 10:36 AM 09-08-2010
You should be able to fill the summer space anyway- with young families that work more in summer, or kindergarten/school agers with summers off. I would charge a pretty hefty deposit- at least 1/3, and have the teacher help you find someone who needs summer daycare.
TGT09 10:36 AM 09-08-2010
I pick up school agers that need care only in the summer to make up for my teachers kids being off. I don't know if you are open to that or not but it's a good way to supplement.

ETA: I would be likely to charge anywhere between a 1/4-1/2 though depending on your income needs.
legomom922 01:51 PM 09-08-2010
I recently found myself in this position too. This is what I did: I charge them for 2 days, weather they come or not to hold their spot. If they want to come and use any of the time on those 2 days, they just have to let me know they are coming in advance. Otherwise its just a holding fee. I do charge them for all teacher days off, like presidents day, conference days, and 50% of their normal weekly amount on vacations/breaks.
momma2girls 04:18 PM 09-08-2010
Yes, I would definately charge a deposit or a weekly or monthly fee. I held a spot for a teacher's child, and 2 weeks before school started back up, I called her to confirm which day she was going to be starting back up- she told me she was going to another daycare that her friend was going to!!! UGHH!!!! SHe didn't care about the 2 week deposit at all!! I now have 2 weeks, plus another 2 weeks, that goes towards your first week of care. Hopefully this will be enough!!! In the past 7 yrs. I have changed my contract, probably 50 times, if not more..........UGHHHH!!!
melskids 03:29 AM 09-09-2010
i have two families who are teachers, with summers off. i'm sure this wont be a popular response, but i dont charge them anything over the summer or holiday breaks. its a perk for them, and i know they are greatful for the break in price. to make it up, i just take 2 school agers in their place for the summer/ vacation days. that way i'm not really losing any money. but, after the summer i just had, i'm rethinking the whole SA thing.

btw, i'm in NY too...just outside cooperstown
DancingQueen 05:38 AM 09-09-2010
If they went to a center (in most cases) they'd need to pay full week's tuition on a weekly basis to hold the spot. So I'd definiately charge - but what you charge is another story. I think it varies by location and your financial needs.
niki6925 07:17 AM 09-09-2010
thanks for all the help! not sure what to do yet. hard having one family being the main source of my income, not sure i want to put all my eggs in one basket!
bgmeyers 09:55 AM 09-09-2010
I came up with this policy. I like the lighter load in summer, but it's sure nice to have full tuition payments now that school has started.

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required.
Tags:deposit, holding spot, summer
Reply Up