Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Alphabet Writing Help
SunflowerMama 08:29 AM 12-21-2010
So my oldest dcks are 4 and my own girls are 3.5. The older ones can write their names and one of my daughters can write her name. I really need help though with how to describe to them how to actually write each letter.

I don't know how to properly explain my question but basically a cheat sheet for each letter. For instance...upper case A...DOWN, DOWN, ACROSS.

So I've tried googling it but since I can't seem to find the proper way to phrase my question I can't find my answer .

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a cheat sheet or knows where to find one online I would really appreciate it.
VTMom 08:35 AM 12-21-2010
My kid's preschool teacher gave me a cheat sheet. I think it's the "no tears handwriting" or something like that. You may want to hit up your local school to see what style they use and if they have a cheat sheet. I like going by what our school teaches so we're all on the same board when it comes to instructions.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 12-21-2010
like this?

go to lakeshorelearning.com and search by entering item #AA722

they help the kids trace the right directions for each letter so they know how to do it correctly...
SunflowerMama 08:46 AM 12-21-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
like this?

go to lakeshorelearning.com and search by entering item #AA722

they help the kids trace the right directions for each letter so they know how to do it correctly...
Those are nice. I do have printouts that have the arrows to show them which direction to go and where to start but it's more the verbal encouragement to go along with that.

I just know when I worked at a preschool a lot of the teachers had cute ways to help them remember how to draw each letter and I just feel like I'm always stumbling through verbally how to make the letters (like for lower case "a" I just say a circle with a tail but on a lot of letters I'm just telling them to add a "hump" here or a this or that there). I want to have the same description all the time for all the uppercase and all the lowercase so the repetition will help them remember each letter and how to write it.
daysofelijah 08:56 AM 12-21-2010
http://www.hwtears.com/files/Print%2...on%20Chart.pdf

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/abc_le...tionpoems.html
SunflowerMama 09:05 AM 12-21-2010
Perfect!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!
dEHmom 09:05 AM 12-21-2010
Using a lined piece of paper, double line the letters, draw a A but using dots. Make the kids trace it over and over again. Then eventually get them to do it on their own.
Even if they don't a pen/pencil/crayon, and use their finger, it's still learning it because they are tracing it physically. Also getting them to say "up, down, and across" is another way.

Just remember with any learning, repetition of 5 times minimum per day, and in different ways, "read it, say it, draw it, etc"
Tags:alphabet, writing
Reply Up