Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going From Home Daycare Provider to Nanny
Registered but logged out 05:13 AM 07-16-2012
Have any of you made the switch from home daycare provider in your own home to a nanny in someone else's home?

I recently went from 9 kids down to 4 (families moving and starting school) and I've been advertising for a couple of weeks now. The 4 I currently have are from 2 families.

Nothing is really panning out so I was just thinking about possibly considering becoming a nanny.

I would no longer be tearing up my own home, I could drive my own children to school and then nanny for a family, pick my children up and take them to the home where I nanny until the parents are home. I could do field trips during the day for the children I did care for and I'd have much more flexibility on things we could do outside the home because with home childcare my car is too small for more than a couple of children.

My main concern is the cut in income. For those that maybe went from home daycare to nanny or maybe were a nanny before doing home childcare what was the difference in income? How much do most nannys charge? Did you enjoy being home more or being a nanny?
Former Teacher 06:27 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by Registered but logged out:
Have any of you made the switch from home daycare provider in your own home to a nanny in someone else's home?

I recently went from 9 kids down to 4 (families moving and starting school) and I've been advertising for a couple of weeks now. The 4 I currently have are from 2 families.

Nothing is really panning out so I was just thinking about possibly considering becoming a nanny.

I would no longer be tearing up my own home, I could drive my own children to school and then nanny for a family, pick my children up and take them to the home where I nanny until the parents are home. I could do field trips during the day for the children I did care for and I'd have much more flexibility on things we could do outside the home because with home childcare my car is too small for more than a couple of children.

My main concern is the cut in income. For those that maybe went from home daycare to nanny or maybe were a nanny before doing home childcare what was the difference in income? How much do most nannys charge? Did you enjoy being home more or being a nanny?
I normally don't respond to unregistered but since you asked a legitimate question, I will answer

I went from being a preschool/Assistant Director after almost 20 years to a nanny. Actually I make more money now that I EVER did at my former center.

I don't have to deal with the BS with rules and regulations from a bunch of hypocrites. I make my schedule with the children. If I had scheduled painting one day and I think...umm I think we will make cookies, I can! Whereas here in my state, you must follow an "activity plan"

As for pay, it depends on your area. Because of my experience and reputation, I command currently OVER $10 a hour. On another thread I read in one area that nannies make $3.00 a hour.

I totally enjoy being a nanny. I will never again go back to daycare.
pam silas 10:41 PM 11-23-2012
What are the services offered by the Nanny for the child and mother? Is this really beneficial or not?
Holiday Park 04:49 AM 11-24-2012
A nanny is supposed to be the highest paid type of childcare . I would make more $ in less time if I did nannying but would gave to look for a decent paying family who didnt want to under pay . Personally I like being my own boss so Im not sure I could handle being told how to raisr thrm . I would have to seatch hard for parents who had the same parenting views or spiritual faith .
dave4him 05:16 AM 11-24-2012
Yeah they probably wouldnt want my own kids tearing up their home
Meeko 08:01 AM 11-24-2012
I can see the pro's, but also the cons. You would be an employee and what your employer says goes. That's hard after being your own boss.

On the other hand, you may find a golden family.

My best friend was a nanny right after college for a VERY wealthy family here in Utah. She had her own gorgeous room in the magnificent house and use of her "own" car. She wasn't required to do anything other than tend the three children....no housework etc (they had others to do that!)

One time, her employers were away on vacation with the children. They told my friend that she would still be paid while they were gone and that she was to make herself at home and have friends over etc. We went over and got to swim in the beautiful pool, hot tub etc. and generally live like royalty while they were gone. We met them when they returned and they were soooo nice and friendly.

I am English and so is my best friend. For her birthday one year, her employers secretly flew her sister from the UK to the US for a vacation. They asked my friend to do them a favor and pick up a package at the airport for them. She had no idea until she saw her sister walk around the corner.

They were wonderful people...hopefully you find some like that!
littlemissmuffet 12:48 PM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by Registered but logged out:

I used to be a nanny, and though I enjoyed it the income was simply not enough. Where I live, the average nanny makes about $15/hr or a cap of $2300/month (many nanny job here don't have guaranteed hours or are PT). This is actually a really great income for many - however, our budget is such that I need at a minimum of $3000 coming in, in addition to hubby's income. I wouldn't be able to make $3000/month being a nanny here.

Money aside, I think I would have a very difficult time going back to being a nanny simply because you are now again employed, as opposed to being your own boss in the comfort of your own home, kwim? There are perks like those you mentioned, but for me it wouldn't be worth it because I have a really hard time being told what to do
MarinaVanessa 03:27 PM 11-24-2012
I used to be a nanny as well but the money is nothing compared to what I'm making now as a home DC provider.

Yes Nanny's are paid more hourly than you would get from caring for one child in your own home however I care for more kids now in my home than I would otherwise being a nanny. I suppose that you have to see how much you would make being a nanny compared to what you are making now.

In my area nanny's start at $10 per hour and that's for someone with no experience. For someone like me with experience, training and education in child development the rate is $15-$20 an hour and that's just for one child. It is extremely difficult to find a good nanny job that wants FT. I found that for me I was ususally working 2-3 nanny jobs at a time. Usually I worked mornings and a few days a week with one family and afternoons a few days a week with another family. When I did work a full 50 hours a week with one family I was making $750 a week as a live-out nanny which was good money for a 20 year old. If you could find a job like that would be amazing. Most of the time however I worked split families and I was working not quite 30 hours a week and bringing in $420 per week.

Other things to consider is that in my experience not too many familes were ok with nanny's bringing their own children along. In many cases at least one of the reasons that I was hired was because I had no children. I think some families feel that no children means less time taken off for sickness due to our kids. From my experience there aren't too many families that would be open to allowing the nanny's kids to be present while on duty unless for instance it was one child that was the same age as the child you were caring for and could act as a playmate. Even in these circumstances the general rule (in my area at least) is that if you do bring along a child of your own the hourly rate would be lowered (less one on one focus with the families child = less money) and of course you'd have to pack your childs own meals etc. Not saying it isn't doable, just that it's generally more difficult to find a client that is open to an idea like this.

You also lose the ability for more freedom. The majority of clients with nanny's would rather not have you travel with their children unless it's educational and for something that they themselves have deemed appropriate. So in essence ... they make up the rules but you can always negotiate all of this during the interview. Generally nanny's also take over light house duties such as preparing meals, laundry, dusting, vacuuming and keeping up with the toys and kids room. The less responsibilities you have the less you get hourly. It really can be a great situation though just be sure that you have a contract, have a pay date, get paid a flat weekly rate with a guaranteed schedule in stead of getting paid only for hours that you work (so that they can't cancel or send you home early to save themselves money) and you should be ok.
Reply Up