Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Here Work In A Center?
Unregistered 12:02 AM 04-18-2014
I just started at a center licensed for 50 kids. It's tough!

Years ago I worked in a center, but I have been away for years!

I make top dollar for child care in my area
I have a classroom of three/four/fives-which I love
I get 18 paid days off per year
Great supportive owner/director
Lots of supplies and resources
My group of kids are basically great with only a few behavior issues

It's just long grueling days! I see/hear LOTS of questionable stuff going on

Open concept with two year old room, we also eat with the two's. Lots of crying and noise.

I'm with a mixed group of two's to five's last hour of the day by myself the last hour of the day. Ugh!

Does it get easier?
pandamom 02:52 AM 04-18-2014
I work as a caregiver in a NAEYC accredited center...in a 2 year old room. It is hard- it took a few months for my body to get used to being on my feet and on the go for the entire shift.

It's hard for us to get supplies now since it's a miltiary center and extra funds are hard to come by with all the downsizing. Caregivers have had to reach into our own pockets to bring in different art supplies.
Unregistered 04:28 AM 04-18-2014
Thanks for responding! I'm trying to be thankful for the things that are positive at my center. When I did family child care my body didn't hurt like this. Maybe it will get easier. Thanks again.
racemom 05:37 AM 04-18-2014
I work in a center licensed for 40. It does get easier. As you learn about your group you can adjust what you do with them. Some kids need lots of direction and you learn who plays nice with who. Also I don't know what the procedures are at your center but I find if I sit on the floor with them sometimes they play better, and I get a break from standing! Is it possible to take the group outside for the last hour? Our kids are much better behaved outside and the time goes alot faster! Hth.
mskaykay 04:46 PM 04-18-2014
I am the director of a center of 120 children who is looking to start a family daycare. While certain aspects of the job get easier and your body is able to handle it better, you will always have good days and bad days. What you have to do is weigh the good with the bad. You said there were some questionable things going on.... I would confirm that they are policy and that they fall with in the regulations. You will never be happy if you don't support the actions going on in your center. Its better to ask now before you become to invested in your class or they become to attached to you.
Unregistered 08:32 AM 04-19-2014
I also work in a center. The center I work in separates the children by ages, and then those ages are usually in 2 classes. For instance, toddlers are 16-22 months. Older toddlers are in a different room , from 23-30 months. Next room is 30-36 months. Then young 3s have their own class , 3 and a half to 4 and a half are in 2 rooms. The older 4s are in a pre-k class. I love how the school is set up. We have many teachers and most are cross trained to fill in any class if needed. We get an hour break, always have extra staff if we need to leave early and the best part, tons of support from the director. Yes, it gets hard at times, but from reading here about the mixed ages home care providers deal with,I feel lucky.
Reply Up